Boardman Glossop and Co

AnnieR

Does anyone know anything about Boardman Glossop and Co? In 1893 they were at Clarence Works, Pond Street as Silver and painted goods manufacturers.

I am trying to find out who the 'Glossop' was.

Regards

Anne

Boardman, Glossop & Co, whose last partners were William P. Davis and Frederick P. Davis, was converted in 1895 into a limited liability company under the style Boardman, Glossop & Co Ltd. The firm was described as silversmiths, electroplaters and Britannia metal-smiths at Clarence Works, Sheffield and 16 Ely Place, Holborn, London (later at 18 Bartlett's Building, Holborn).

Maybe there was no Glossop ?

Link

Thanks for the replies Richard. I'm also beginning to think that there were no Glossops involved. I've asked my father and he doesn't remember Glossops being involved with Boardmans. Also the Boardmans dealt with silver and my Glossops were cutlery manufacturers.

I've found a reference in White's 1911 to William Ibbotson, director Boardman Glossop + Co Ltd. Home address Dalston Villa, Grove Road, Totley Rise.

The spooky thing is that my grandfather William Walton Glossop moved into this house in the 1930's and lived there till he died in 1957. In fact I lived there too from 1955-1957.

Regards

Anne

Try Thomas Glossop & Sons ... h. Glover Road, Totley Rise (1925) ...

That's my GGrandfather Thomas. He was originally a razor scale presser and bought the shop in the Norfolk Market Hall in 1897. William Walton Glossop, his son was living at 1 Glover Road in 1925. That's where my dad was born in 1924. William W's brother Thomas (known as Young Tom) lived at 3 Glover Road.

They were in the Norfolk Market Hall until they moved to the Castle Market. I think a lot of Sheffielders will remember the display of old penknives, scissors and cricket memorabilia that they had just down the steps from the fish market.

Regards

Anne

Guest stuartfrance

Thanks for the replies Richard. I'm also beginning to think that there were no Glossops involved. I've asked my father and he doesn't remember Glossops being involved with Boardmans. Also the Boardmans dealt with silver and my Glossops were cutlery manufacturers.

I've found a reference in White's 1911 to William Ibbotson, director Boardman Glossop + Co Ltd. Home address Dalston Villa, Grove Road, Totley Rise.

The spooky thing is that my grandfather William Walton Glossop moved into this house in the 1930's and lived there till he died in 1957. In fact I lived there too from 1955-1957.

Regards

Anne

Dear Anne,

We are doing some family history research and this led me to your mail as amazingly, my grandfather William Pulford also lived at Dalston Villa with his wife and family. We have a record of them living there in the 1901 census but we have not been able to find any other details of when they moved in to or out of the house. We would be very pleased to hear from you with any information about the house, and if you have any photos of it we could see that would be great. We were told that sometime after my grandfather left the house became a girl's school called Dame Trott's but the only reference to Dame Trott we can find is in pantomimes.

kind regards Stuart Pulford. My email address is pulford.s@wanadoo.fr