Football Quiz

THYLACINE

I didn't take part in the Best Owls Striker EVER poll because I'm a United supporter, but I do remember singing a song about a Wednesday forward, a few years ago. Music and lyrics provided by The Casuals. Ten points for the players name and the first two lines of the song (the only two lines I can remember). Apologies if he is a Sheffield History member.

I didn't take part in the Best Owls Striker EVER poll because I'm a United supporter, but I do remember singing a song about a Wednesday forward, a few years ago. Music and lyrics provided by The Casuals. Ten points for the players name and the first two lines of the song (the only two lines I can remember). Apologies if he is a Sheffield History member.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO,WITH A GIRL LIKE JESAMINE,

THOUGH MY EYES ARE OPEN WIDE,SHE'S MADE

MY LIFE A DREAM

(CHORUS)

WHEN JESAMINE GOES,A PART OF ME KNOWS I'M NOT REALLY LIVING,

A BUTTERFLY CHILD,SO FREE AND SO WILD

AND SO FULL OF LIVING

WHEN JESAMINE STAYS,THOUGH TIME GOES FAST,

THIS IS MY WORLD AT LAST

BEAUTIFUL DAY'S LOST IN HER EYES,

BUT THEN THE WHOLE WORLD DIES

(CHORUS)

WHEN JESAMINE GOES,A PART OF ME KNOWS

I'M NOT REALLY LIVING

AND SO FULL OF LIVING

WHAT CAN YOU SAY,WHEN A GIRL DOESN'T WANT TO KNOW

SHE'S TOO FAR AWAY,AND SHE MAKES MY LIFE A DREAM

(CHORUS)

WHEN JESAMINE GOES,A PART OF ME KNOWS

I'M NOT REALLY LIVING

AND SO FULL OF LIVING

WHEN JESAMINE STAYS,THOUGH TIME GOES FAST

THIS IS MY WORLD AT LAST

BEAUTIFUL DAY'S,LOST IN HER EYES

BUT THEN THE WHOLE WORLD DIES

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO

WITH A GIRL LIKE JESAMINE

THOUGH MY EYES ARE OPEN WIDE,SHE MADE MY LIFE A DREAM

(CHORUS)

WHEN JESAMINE GOES A PART OF ME KNOWS

IM NOT REALLY LIVING......FADES.....

Nice one Richard, the right song, but your cryptic message . . . LIFE . . .CHILD . . . BEAUTIFUL . . . CHILD . . . LIFE . . . BUTTERFLY didn't cut it with the Bramall Lane crowd. So WHO was the unfortunate Wednesday striker whose name we substituted for the beatiful butterfly child Jesamine?

Has this anything to do with being a stripey, extinct (1936), cat-like marsupial ? You have me beaten, hands up from me ...

Has this anything to do with being a stripey, extinct (1936), cat-like marsupial ? You have me beaten, hands up from me ...

Thanks Richard, you are certainly 'on the ball' (pun) as far as the Thylacine is concerned. But the name change was coincidental, not in any way linked to the Football Quiz.

The song I heard in the 1960's at local Sheffield derbies - I swear I wasn't the only one singing it - "What am I supposed to do with a girl like John Ritchie?"

I don't know why this particular player was targetted, just a mindless provocative chant. Anyone have memories of John Ritchie - perhaps the goals he scored against the Blades? A photo and his playing record? Was he anyone's choice for greatest ever Owls striker?

Thanks Richard, you are certainly 'on the ball' (pun) as far as the Thylacine is concerned. But the name change was coincidental, not in any way linked to the Football Quiz.

The song I heard in the 1960's at local Sheffield derbies - I swear I wasn't the only one singing it - "What am I supposed to do with a girl like John Ritchie?"

I don't know why this particular player was targetted, just a mindless provocative chant. Anyone have memories of John Ritchie - perhaps the goals he scored against the Blades? A photo and his playing record? Was he anyone's choice for greatest ever Owls striker?

Maybe because he scored the winning goal against United at the Lane in 1967. In the 1966-67 season, he was, somewhat surprisingly, sold to Sheffield Wednesday, after scoring eight times for Stoke in 14 League games. He got another 10 for Wednesday in 24 League matches, but in the following season he missed just one League game, scoring 18 times, twice as many as the second Wednesday scorer, John Fantham.

Sadly John passed away in 2007 aged 66

Maybe because he scored the winning goal against United at the Lane in 1967. In the 1966-67 season, he was, somewhat surprisingly, sold to Sheffield Wednesday, after scoring eight times for Stoke in 14 League games. He got another 10 for Wednesday in 24 League matches, but in the following season he missed just one League game, scoring 18 times, twice as many as the second Wednesday scorer, John Fantham.

Sadly John passed away in 2007 aged 66

Thank you Mickjj, very sad to hear of his recent death. Four others who may have played in that 1967 derby, gone to glory in the last year or so: Cec Coldwell, Derek Pace, Joe Shaw and Keith Kettleborough.

Here's another question you may be able to help me with, how many of the 1966 World Cup winning team are still alive?

Thylacine

Gordon Banks- Alive (71)

Ray Wilson - Alive (74)

George Cohen - Alive (70)

Nobby Stiles - Alive (67)

Jack Charlton - Alive (74)

Bobby Moore - Desceased (1941- 1993)

Alan Ball - Desceased (1945 - 2007)

Roger Hunt - Alive (71)

Bobby Charlton - Alive (72)

Geoff Hurst - Alive (67)

Martin Peters - Alive (66)

Gordon Banks- Alive (71)

Ray Wilson - Alive (74)

George Cohen - Alive (70)

Nobby Stiles - Alive (67)

Jack Charlton - Alive (74)

Bobby Moore - Desceased (1941- 1993)

Alan Ball - Desceased (1945 - 2007)

Roger Hunt - Alive (71)

Bobby Charlton - Alive (72)

Geoff Hurst - Alive (67)

Martin Peters - Alive (66)

Thanks again. Didn't know that Jack was older than Bobby.

Next question: Which team won the F.A. Cup and never scored a goal?

Thanks again. Didn't know that Jack was older than Bobby.

Next question: Which team won the F.A. Cup and never scored a goal?

I remember being asked that question many years ago. The answer is brilliant, but is it true?

Seems some team in the distant past who won the FA Cup had a player called Alf Never. Or was it Bert? Anyway whoever it was, he scored a goal for his team in a round of the cup. So, Mickjj who was the team, what was the year. Please tell me it's true!!

I remember being asked that question many years ago. The answer is brilliant, but is it true?

Seems some team in the distant past who won the FA Cup had a player called Alf Never. Or was it Bert? Anyway whoever it was, he scored a goal for his team in a round of the cup. So, Mickjj who was the team, what was the year. Please tell me it's true!!

A myth?

<h1 align="center">1871 - the ultimate Reading FC website</h1> <h1 align="center">Football Quiz - Answers</h1> Q: Which team won the FA Cup and never scored a goal?

A: The Royal Engineers, because Willie Never scored in the final.

This is a trick question on two levels. Obviously there is the double use of the word "never" to create the question.

However the second trick is that this question is UTTER RUBBISH. The Royal Engineers have indeed won the FA Cup once but they did not have any players called Never playing for them in the final. They won the trophy in 1874/75 by beating Old Etonians 2-0 in a replay after the first match ended 1-1. The scorers in the replay were Captain H. W. Renny-Tailyour and Lieutenant R. H. Stafford. Renny-Tailyour got the goal in the first game as well.

I have heard the answer to this question given as Old Etonians, but it's still wrong. They have won the FA Cup twice and the two players who scored in their 1-0 wins were C. J. Clerke and W. J. Anderson.

A myth?

<h1 align="center">1871 - the ultimate Reading FC website</h1> <h1 align="center">Football Quiz - Answers</h1> Q: Which team won the FA Cup and never scored a goal?

A: The Royal Engineers, because Willie Never scored in the final.

This is a trick question on two levels. Obviously there is the double use of the word "never" to create the question.

However the second trick is that this question is UTTER RUBBISH. The Royal Engineers have indeed won the FA Cup once but they did not have any players called Never playing for them in the final. They won the trophy in 1874/75 by beating Old Etonians 2-0 in a replay after the first match ended 1-1. The scorers in the replay were Captain H. W. Renny-Tailyour and Lieutenant R. H. Stafford. Renny-Tailyour got the goal in the first game as well.

I have heard the answer to this question given as Old Etonians, but it's still wrong. They have won the FA Cup twice and the two players who scored in their 1-0 wins were C. J. Clerke and W. J. Anderson.

Thanks Dunsbyowl. Now what am I going to do for a party piece? How am I going to impress people now?

OK who can tell me in what year did the Owls not make a single appearance in the F.A. Cup competition?

If this is refers to a season, it was the 1886/7 season, when the club forgot to enter. As a result, Lockwood Brothers "borrowed" some players and did quite well. This has been covered here.

They also did not play in the FA Cup in 2005, having been knocked out in the 2004/5 season in the first round (13th November 2004) and only joining in the 3rd round the following season (7th January 2006), having gained promotion to the second tier of the league structure.

OK who can tell me in what year did the Owls not make a single appearance in the F.A. Cup competition?

(see Madannie's excellent reply)

Is there any truth in the report that NASA asked SWFC if they could train their astronauts at the Hillsboro ground?

If this is refers to a season, it was the 1886/7 season, when the club forgot to enter. As a result, Lockwood Brothers "borrowed" some players and did quite well. This has been covered here.

They also did not play in the FA Cup in 2005, having been knocked out in the 2004/5 season in the first round (13th November 2004) and only joining in the 3rd round the following season (7th January 2006), having gained promotion to the second tier of the league structure.

Correct on both accounts Madannie, plus add 1980 to the list as the same event happened with the Owls getting knocked out in Dec 1979 then with promotion appeared again in Jan 1981

My fathers favourite was the old favourite "Who were the only team to win the FA cup in Yorkshire?"

That'll be Barnsley in 1912, beating West Bromwich Albion in a replay at Bramall Lane.