Myers & Stott families in Sheffield

laurie

My knowledge of my MYERS family starts with the marriage of Thomas MYERS and Ann STOTT in the Sheffield Parish Church (SS Peter & Paul) in 1832. Thomas was of that parish and Ann was of Wath parish.

In the 1841 census Thomas (a tailor, aged 38) and Ann (aged 34) MYERS are living in Shales Square (off Duke Street) Sheffield. With them are Henry 12, Jno 9, Wm 7 and Chas 1. Another son, Thomas, was born to them in 1842 in Shales Square. This Thomas is my g g grandfather.

By the time of the 1851 Census there is no record of Thomas and Ann and I believe I have located the children living in other Sheffield locations. It would appear as though Thomas (snr) and Ann have probably died.

My g g grandfather Thomas married Harriet STYLES from Surrey in “The Parish Church”, Sheffield in 1866. They had children Annie Isles, 1867 and Ernest, 1869.

In 1871 Census they appear at “Bk 39 in Court, Monmouth Street (?), Ecclesall Bierlow, and Sheffield”. Thomas is listed as a joiner.

This family emigrated to New Zealand in 1874 and settled in Wellington (the capital city) where Thomas owned and operated a picture framer and art dealer business for some time.

Family lore has it that Thomas (junior) was from a Jewish family and was ostracized after marrying a gentile.

I am interested in any information about my MYERS and STOTT families in Sheffield.

Regards

Laurie

This looks like the burial of Ann(e):

Burial at St George's, Brookhill

MYERS Anne 16 Nov 1845 Effingham Lane 36y wi Thomas

[name/date of burial/address or place where death occurred/age/description]

I can't see a burial for Thomas in this graveyard - the last burial here was in 1855.

Hugh

This looks like the burial of Ann(e):

Burial at St George's, Brookhill

MYERS Anne 16 Nov 1845 Effingham Lane 36y wi Thomas

[name/date of burial/address or place where death occurred/age/description]

I can't see a burial for Thomas in this graveyard - the last burial here was in 1855.

Hugh

Hello Hugh

Sorry for the delay in replying to you - I have been away from home for a few days

Many thanks for that information. It certainly looks a likely match. I presume the abbreviation "wi" means "wife" rather than "widow"

I will now see if I can find a death registration to match.

Regards

Laurie

On 13/10/2009 at 08:04, laurie said:

My knowledge of my MYERS family starts with the marriage of Thomas MYERS and Ann STOTT in the Sheffield Parish Church (SS Peter & Paul) in 1832. Thomas was of that parish and Ann was of Wath parish.

In the 1841 census Thomas (a tailor, aged 38) and Ann (aged 34) MYERS are living in Shales Square (off Duke Street) Sheffield. With them are Henry 12, Jno 9, Wm 7 and Chas 1. Another son, Thomas, was born to them in 1842 in Shales Square. This Thomas is my g g grandfather.

By the time of the 1851 Census there is no record of Thomas and Ann and I believe I have located the children living in other Sheffield locations. It would appear as though Thomas (snr) and Ann have probably died.

My g g grandfather Thomas married Harriet STYLES from Surrey in “The Parish Churchâ€, Sheffield in 1866. They had children Annie Isles, 1867 and Ernest, 1869.

In 1871 Census they appear at “Bk 39 in Court, Monmouth Street (?), Ecclesall Bierlow, and Sheffieldâ€. Thomas is listed as a joiner.

This family emigrated to New Zealand in 1874 and settled in Wellington (the capital city) where Thomas owned and operated a picture framer and art dealer business for some time.

Family lore has it that Thomas (junior) was from a Jewish family and was ostracized after marrying a gentile.

I am interested in any information about my MYERS and STOTT families in Sheffield.

Regards

Laurie

Thomas MYERS advertised as a picture framer in his adopted city. He and Harriet had a son in New Zealand,  named George Wellington MYERS.

Screenshot_20220819-120224_Google.jpg