Backstreet Garages

vox

Greystones Road. I've lived around here nearly 40 years and the garage was there when I came. Sadly now no longer a garage, it's been converted into a studio space for rent, with the front now a glass wall.

Looks as though HDs scooter is booked in for a service. W/E.

Nah, I've seen HD's machine, four wheel drive (well, four wheels) rugged, off-road, mean (and that's just HD!) machine. More like this

Nah, I've seen HD's machine, four wheel drive (well, four wheels) rugged, off-road, mean (and that's just HD!) machine. More like this

Very similar Bayleaf, but my wheels are a bit bigger. :)

I've just replaced the batteries after a lot of shopping around, not cheap at £340 for the pair. The last ones lasted over 3 years 'so I reckon that's a smidgeon over £2 a week plus about 20 pence for juice.

I shall be out and about again when the monsoon season ends but I shall not be tackling the run up to Stanage Pole again, I've learned my lesson and will find somewhere easier, such as the north face of the Eiger. :rolleyes:

HD

1985 on hols in Snowdonia.

Very rare 1959/60 Split screen, Samba Safari body. 24 windows if I remember rightly.

A good one can fetch over £20,000 nowadays.

Still on the road and back in Ireland I believe.

Note the very basic tool kit needed for roadside repairs.

Hammer, pliers, screwdrivers a couple of spanners and some wire.

Try repairing any modern car with that little lot. - No chance.

Ebay Item number 170838093617 VW Microbus Deluxe [samba] RHD 21 window. Starting bid £23,500. Worth a look "vox" as its the same colour as the one you had. W/E.

There used to be another outfit just down from Cookes on City Road, used to do 'Autoelectrics' now bungalows built there. Does anyone remember the garage at the tram terminus on Birley Moor Road?