Heeley - Valley Road United Methodist Church Grounds - History

Guest tyrni

Guest tyrni

I discovered that a few houses down from where I live use to be a Methodist church. (Apparently with no graveyard?) I checked the records at the library and the first date of someone living here (house built) was in 1902. On many maps around 1890s shows only parkland however that church was there (unshown) and with no maps beyond this to my availability. I am new to this and my question is if any one knows if there were any other developments near this church? along Valley road, pictures, news. I will appreciate any input relative,

According to the 1881 Sheffield Independant Religious Survey of Sheffield taken 28 Nov 1881, the Methodist churches in Heeley were :

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel seating 611 on day of census attended by 202 in morning & 181 in evening.

Primitive Methodist Chapel seating 260 attended on day by 87 morning, 250 evening.

The document does not give the address of either church though.

According to "Milestones in the emergence of Heeley " http://www.oldheeley...eyspecials5.htm

the first Methodist Church in Heeley was built by the Wesleyans in 1826 on the corner of Gleadless Rd & Hartley St. This is now a listed building.

The Primitives opened a chapel in 1858 which was on Anns Rd. That still exists & is called St Andrews Methodist.

Heeley Valley Rd does not appear in my 1950's index of Sheffield Streets.

John

According to the 1881 Sheffield Independant Religious Survey of Sheffield taken 28 Nov 1881, the Methodist churches in Heeley were :

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel seating 611 on day of census attended by 202 in morning & 181 in evening.

Primitive Methodist Chapel seating 260 attended on day by 87 morning , 250 evening.

According to "Milestones in the emergence of Heeley " http://www.oldheeley...eyspecials5.htm

the first Methodist Church in Heeley was built by the Wesleyans in 1826 on the corner of Gleadless Rd & Hartley St. This is now a listed building.

The Primitives opened a chapel in 1858 which was on Anns Rd. That still exists & is called St Andrews Methodist.

Heeley Valley Rd does not appear in my 1950's index of Sheffield Streets.

John

Not sure which church tyrni is referring to, I have changed the topic title.

Valley Road ?

were any other developments near this church? along Valley road, pictures, news. I will appreciate any input relative,

Primitive Methodist Chapel seating 260 attended on day by 87 morning , 250 evening.

Heeley Primitive Methodist Chapel, 21 Gleadless Road, the building exists -

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Oak Street, established 1871, gutted by fire December 1947, picturesheffield s04992.

1950's -

1895, Valley Road Methodist Chapel, a Mission Church from Oak Street Chapel was opened.

http://www.oldheeley.org/oldheeleyspecials5.htm

According to the book 'Heghlegh Then and Now'

Valley Road Methodist Chapel was bombed in the blitz.

Guest tyrni

Does any body know what the land was used for before the houses were built in 1900s on valley road around where the church was?

Methodist church. (Apparently with no graveyard?)

Methodist churches don't usually have graveyards. Because methodists are cremated when they have their funerals.