WWI era funeral cortege in Sheffield

GnrEaton

Link back to post #7

It would suggest not, but is it correct

The map of Barnsley & District tramways is correct: the only tram routes in Barnsley were from Smithies to Worsborough Bridge and Worsborough Dale, apart from the 1924 built Dearne District Light Railway which ran from MAy Day Green along Doncaster Road to Stairfoot, Wombwell and beyond.

The line past Locke Park was suggested twice - once by Barnsley Council in 1900 and once by the company in 1903, but was never authorised and hence never built.

The map of Barnsley & District tramways is correct: the only tram routes in Barnsley were from Smithies to Worsborough Bridge and Worsborough Dale, apart from the 1924 built Dearne District Light Railway which ran from MAy Day Green along Doncaster Road to Stairfoot, Wombwell and beyond.

The line past Locke Park was suggested twice - once by Barnsley Council in 1900 and once by the company in 1903, but was never authorised and hence never built.

Bang goes my theory, It's confirmed by my contact at Barnsley Local Studies/Archive that trams never ran on Park Road.

Back to the draining board.

Hilldweller

The plot thickens !

The latest Grapevine article carries an explanation for the object in the playground. It is indeed it seems, a drinking fountain, and presently resides in Ecclesall Woods. It is a memorial to Mabel Frances Vickers, a daughter of the famous Vickers steelmaking and armaments dynasty. How the monument got to Ecclesall Woods is apparently a mystery. Mabel died aged 32 in Naples in 1894. Her father Thomas Vickers lived at the time I think at a house called Bolsover Hill which is described as north of Sheffield. Perhaps the drinking fountain was initially erected in the yard of a nearby school ? Or perhaps indeed the building is Bolsover Hill !

Anyway it gives us a possible clue, are there any Vickers family historians out there who could solve this one ?

HD

Bolsover Hill can be seen on forum member 'Gramps' map (1890s)

in this post here in the Page Hall Topic

Here is a cut taken from it ..

I lived around there in the 1970s - the road to the left is Barnsley Road and that going off to the right must have been what was turned into Hucklow Road? off the Firth Park. There was a school on the corner - I think called Hucklow Road Primary School.

I lived around there in the 1970s - the road to the left is Barnsley Road and that going off to the right must have been what was turned into Hucklow Road? off the Firth Park. There was a school on the corner - I think called Hucklow Road Primary School.

Vox

AS you can see Bolsover Hill was a bit further down Barnsley Road towards Fir Vale. The house was built by John Booth of the Brushes (FP Grammar) but the houses on this site all look Edwardian and therefore must predate WW1. :(