Who is Richard Puttergill?

THYLACINE

This WW1 medallion has been in our house for years and years. It was moved from draw to draw and every cupboard in the house and it finally ended up in the shed. I can't remember where it came from and I didn't really understand the significance of it until I saw a picture of one in our local paper. I started to investigate what it was all about and I eventually arrived at the website of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission where I found the attached information. I was amazed at what I found - how did I come to have it? Did we bring it with us when we emigrated over 30 years ago? More importantly, does he have any living descendents? Can anyone help?

I've always been under the impression that Naval Death Pennies had a wide 'H' at the beginning of 'He died ...' , anyway, Phil have a look on the back, there should be a stamp telling you where it was made. You might find a circle with a W & A in it, Woolwich Arsenal.

Then i have this that does confuse the matter a little !

He was on the 'Good Hope'.

Got to be a typo surely ?

National Archives for his papers next Phil.

Dean.

HOUSEHOLD PUTTERGILL EDWARD ARTHUR M 1894 17 Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding

HOUSEHOLD PUTTERGILL EMMA ANN F 1858 53 Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding

HOUSEHOLD PUTTERGILL HAROLD M 1892 19 Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding

HOUSEHOLD PUTTERGILL HARRACE M 1898 13 Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding

HOUSEHOLD PUTTERGILL RICHARD M 1856 55 Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding

HOUSEHOLD PUTTERGILL WILLIAM ROBERT M 1887 24 Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding

MILITARY PUTTERGILL RICHARD 1889 22 Overseas Royal Navy

Checking the Sheffield Daily Independent Index of Shefield Soldiers and Sailors that appeared between 1/8/14 - 31/12/15, there is an 'F' Puttergill of the 'Good Hope' in the 27/11/14 issue !!

I'll check the entry out next week.

Dean.

Just found this, its on the Francis Frith website, about a place called Brant Broughton in Lincs.

Memories of Sutton-Cum-BeckinghamNo memories of Sutton-Cum-Beckingham have been shared yet - be the first!

Add your memory of Sutton-Cum-Beckingham or of a photo of Sutton-Cum-Beckingham.

Lincolnshire memoriesMy ancestors

Although I did not live there, my father's great grandmother Ann Puttergill lived for about sixty of her eighty years there. She married a Richard Puttergill who was born in Brant Broughton about 1840. His parents were the village carpenters and he carried on the family business, eventually qualifying as a master carpenter. He died in Brant Broughton around 1875.

Ann Puttergill, Richard's widow, lived in the schoolhouse around 1870 or 1880 and held the position of nurse to the school masters children and his widowed mother. In 1891 Ann Puttergill lived in one of the Almshouses and was living on the parish. In 1901 she moved to be with her children in Sheffield where she died of old age not long after. She was in her late seventies or early eighties when she died.

I have visited this delightful little village and I am very pleased that not a lot has changed and it is still an idilic place to live.

Shared on 06 April 2009

Dean.

This WW1 medallion has been in our house for years and years. It was moved from draw to draw and every cupboard in the house and it finally ended up in the shed. I can't remember where it came from and I didn't really understand the significance of it until I saw a picture of one in our local paper. I started to investigate what it was all about and I eventually arrived at the website of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission where I found the attached information. I was amazed at what I found - how did I come to have it? Did we bring it with us when we emigrated over 30 years ago? More importantly, does he have any living descendents? Can anyone help?

Phil

If you search the BT Residential numbers web site there are 2 Puttergills listed still in Sheffield might be worth dropping them a line?

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.co...search.publisha

You can alo see Richard's birth and others here ( enter Puttergill & Sheffield ) on Free BMD

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Looks like one of the Puttergill descendants Victor, son of William R. had the papershop/grocers at Pickering Road,

there's also a possible for an Eric, on my 2003 UK-Info peoplefinder disk 4 Puttergill addresses for sheffield

Richard PUTTERGILL Shopkeeper 37 Broughton Lane, Attercliffe White's 1911

and also

William PUTTERGILL Cart owner 48 Spital Hill Kelly's 1893

James William PUTTERGILL Clerk 21 Harrowden Road, Tinsley White's 1919

James William PUTTERGILL Clerk 21 Harrowden Road, Tinsley Kelly's 1925

Edith Arthur PUTTERGILL Boot repairer 37 Broughton Lane, Attercliffe Kelly's 1925

Thanks to everyone who replied, your research is amazing and has opened up some interesting possibilities. First of all, the family home appears to have been 61 Broughton Lane where Richard and his 5 siblings were born, five brothers and one sister Daisy. (Edward is listed as being 'deaf and dumb from fever'.) Richard's Naval record is interesting, showing all the ships he served on, the last being, ironically, The Good Hope which was sunk off the Chilean coast. (More research to come) Thanks too for putting a face to the name even though they appear to have got the initial wrong. Any advice on how to access the National Archives would be appreciated - will I be able to do this on-line as I'm not planning a trip to London in the near future! One very interesting angle has appeared from all your replies. The plaque, (which, by the way, has the letter N in a circle on the back) we think, came from my wife's family. She tells me that her maternal grandparents George and Sarah Frogatt lived on Broughton Lane and at some time or other ran a corner shop. George served as a ships' plumber in the merchant navy and sailed the world many times during his career. Could I impose upon Jeremy to do a similar search for the Frogatts of Broughton Lane? I will follow up the BT link as suggested. All very exciting to me. Thanks Jeremy, deansgirl, Dunsbyowl, neddy and Richard B. for all your help. I think there may be more to this story.

Puttergill

Unusual surname though ...

This is an unusual ethnic name for someone from Portugal. The name derives from late Latin "Portucale" originally referring only to the area around the trading base of Oporto (Portus Cales, from the Latin "Portus", a port, harbour, and "Cales" the ancient name for the town). The Middle English 13th Century spelling for Portugal was Portingale. The name may have been a nickname for one who had business connections with the place. The variants include Pettingall, Pettingill, Pettengell, Puttergill. One Hannah Portingale married John Ferre at St. Alphege, Canterbury, Kent in 1725.

The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Walterus Filius Portingalliae, which was dated 1201, in the "Kings Rolls of Suffolk", during the reign of King John, known as "Lackland", 1199 - 1216. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Could I impose upon Jeremy to do a similar search for the Frogatts of Broughton Lane?

I can't see any Frogatts (or Froggatts) living on Broughton Lane recorded in the 1901 census, sorry.

Jeremy

Phil, have a look at this re the Plaque.

http://www.cwgc.co.uk/Plaque-history.htm

as to naval service records, i've done very little research on naval matters, i've only ever downloaded what i have already posted.

The action off Chile was the Battle of Coronel.

Dean.

Dean, After reading the link you posted re. the WW1 plaques, I had a closer look and the stamp on the back is indeed WA in a circle, just a bad stamp. The number 29 appears between the lion's tail and back leg. Also googled the Battle of Coronel, another case of missed communication and British bravado which led to the sinking of the Monmouth and Good Hope with no survivors. Thanks for your input, great stuff! I will now try to trace any descendents.

I can't see any Frogatts (or Froggatts) living on Broughton Lane recorded in the 1901 census, sorry.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, I am emailing my wife's older brother in Nottingham to get some clarification. Will post again when I get a reply.

Jeremy

This isn't a million miles away?

Froggatt, George Hy. (, sub postmaster).

Residing at 187 Attercliffe Road, in 1911.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.

Guest chickabee

have just come across this site even though I'm born and bred sheffield -coming across this I looked up the records I had made of my husbands family whilst his parents were alive.

Richard is the brother of my husbands' grandfather Edward Arthur - boot repairer lived 37 broughton lane (cobbler's shop) born sept 1894 married (m)1st June 1925 Helen Mary Medley. Both of these people were Deaf. his brothers were William Robert m Lil - Richard (Sailor died in 1st WW) - Harold m Dorothy - Horace m Victoria (who had a son David) - a sister Daisy - and then a sister Rose m a dutchman Kinivar/Kiveran - Edward Arthur's father was Richard Francis m Emma Ann Edward's uncles were a Joseph (born 1811) m Letitia (traders on Spital Hill , mentioned in Sheffield Flood) and Eric m Evelyn - there is also mention of an Emily (born 1839 a servant) William (1850 shopkeeper) and Henry (1852 spring maker) - somewhere along the line one was a Carter (horse and cart carrying goods). my husband is and his father was LGV Drivers, also carrying goods all over the UK !!!!

Husbands father is Frank Richard (born 6.1.28 m Ethel Brandrick ) 20th Dec 1952 - both deceased. - Frank Richard born at 37 Broughton Lane, he had a sister Winifred born 1930 died at 2 weeks old

My hubby is a Frank and son is a Francis - we knew Richard was a sailor and died in the 1st WW - coincidental that Hubby also was in the Navy - looking at Richard photo is like looking at my son

I have several family photos of my husband's family. going way back,. whilst his parents were alive I had the idea to name each photo and what relation they were on the back.

can't wait to show hubby this info - it has tied quite a few loose ends up.

hubby has his father's medals , was Richard's passed through the family to you.

have just come across this site even though I'm born and bred sheffield -coming across this I looked up the records I had made of my husbands family whilst his parents were alive.

Richard is the brother of my husbands' grandfather Edward Arthur - boot repairer lived 37 broughton lane (cobbler's shop) born sept 1894 married (m)1st June 1925 Helen Mary Medley. Both of these people were Deaf. his brothers were William Robert m Lil - Richard (Sailor died in 1st WW) - Harold m Dorothy - Horace m Victoria (who had a son David) - a sister Daisy - and then a sister Rose m a dutchman Kinivar/Kiveran - Edward Arthur's father was Richard Francis m Emma Ann Edward's uncles were a Joseph (born 1811) m Letitia (traders on Spital Hill , mentioned in Sheffield Flood) and Eric m Evelyn - there is also mention of an Emily (born 1839 a servant) William (1850 shopkeeper) and Henry (1852 spring maker) - somewhere along the line one was a Carter (horse and cart carrying goods). my husband is and his father was LGV Drivers, also carrying goods all over the UK !!!!

Husbands father is Frank Richard (born 6.1.28 m Ethel Brandrick ) 20th Dec 1952 - both deceased. - Frank Richard born at 37 Broughton Lane, he had a sister Winifred born 1930 died at 2 weeks old

My hubby is a Frank and son is a Francis - we knew Richard was a sailor and died in the 1st WW - coincidental that Hubby also was in the Navy - looking at Richard photo is like looking at my son

I have several family photos of my husband's family. going way back,. whilst his parents were alive I had the idea to name each photo and what relation they were on the back.

can't wait to show hubby this info - it has tied quite a few loose ends up.

hubby has his father's medals , was Richard's passed through the family to you.

Hello Chickabee and welcome to the site. Your reply was very interesting and was exactly what I hoped to get when I made the original post. It is still a mystery to me how we came to have ths plaque, as far as I know neither me or my wife are related to Richard Puttergill, the only possible link we could think of was Broughton Lane and the fact that my wife's grandparents ran a corner shop there. I have emailed my wife's elder brother in UK to get some clarification on that. I still have the plaque but it is yours if you want it. Perhaps admin. can inform us how to contact each other.

Hello Chickabee and welcome to the site. Your reply was very interesting and was exactly what I hoped to get when I made the original post. It is still a mystery to me how we came to have ths plaque, as far as I know neither me or my wife are related to Richard Puttergill, the only possible link we could think of was Broughton Lane and the fact that my wife's grandparents ran a corner shop there. I have emailed my wife's elder brother in UK to get some clarification on that. I still have the plaque but it is yours if you want it. Perhaps admin. can inform us how to contact each other.

The problem is new members can't use the PM system, if chickabee want's to email sheffieldhistory@gmail.com I can pass on his/her email address to you via pm

Perhaps admin. can inform us how to contact each other.

Best (safest) way at present is both send an email to

Sheffieldhistory@Gmail.com

stating who you are and who you wish to contact. The grown up that looks after the email (i.e. not me) will send your respective emails on to each other.

Best (safest) way at present is both send an email to

Sheffieldhistory@Gmail.com

stating who you are and who you wish to contact. The grown up that looks after the email (i.e. not me) will send your respective emails on to each other.

Thanks guys, done my bit.