Fishing Tackle Dealer

hilldweller

I can remember as a small child in the 1950's, when my father discovered that his keep-net had bigger holes than usual in it; on the day before the big pub fishing match. As my father had to go to work, my mother and I were dispatched on the tram to the city-centre to obtain a replacement. I remember the fishing tackle shop was located up some steps a few feet above the pavement. I think it had a double frontage with a fine display of nets and rods in the window(s). I seem to remember it was located on a narrow dark street but I can't remember where. Are there any older maggot-drowners out there who can remember where it was ?

I can remember as a small child in the 1950's, when my father discovered that his keep-net had bigger holes than usual in it; on the day before the big pub fishing match. As my father had to go to work, my mother and I were dispatched on the tram to the city-centre to obtain a replacement. I remember the fishing tackle shop was located up some steps a few feet above the pavement. I think it had a double frontage with a fine display of nets and rods in the window(s). I seem to remember it was located on a narrow dark street but I can't remember where. Are there any older maggot-drowners out there who can remember where it was ?

Hi hilldweller,

I can't recall from memory as by the end of the 50's I was just six years old,

but the shop was most likely Billy Clarke on Button Lane (off the Moor)

Guest 30_degrees

Hi hilldweller,

I can't recall from memory as by the end of the 50's I was just six years old,

but the shop was most likely Billy Clarke on Button Lane (off the Moor)

Hi all,

Billy Clarke is now on Alderson Road. When next in that area I will call in and have a chat with him or his mum to see if we are talking about the same family and if so their trading history.

Cheers

Chris

Hi all,

Billy Clarke is now on Alderson Road. When next in that area I will call in and have a chat with him or his mum to see if we are talking about the same family and if so their trading history.

Cheers

Chris

Might also have been Bennett's of Sheffield on Stanley Street - their website says they been running 54yrs

Might also have been Bennett's of Sheffield on Stanley Street - their website says they been running 54yrs

I don't think it was Bennetts, from memory it was somewhere near Moorhead. I think the shop on Button Lane is likely. The shop floor was definitely several feet above the pavement outside.

Hilldweller.

Fishing Tackle Dealers, 41 Button Lane

Mrs Ruth Warburton (1911)

William Henry Clarke (1919, 1925 - up to you to fill in after that)

At least you have an address to chase lol

I don't think it was Bennetts, from memory it was somewhere near Moorhead. I think the shop on Button Lane is likely. The shop floor was definitely several feet above the pavement outside.

Hilldweller.

From memory Peter Bennett (Bennetts) owned two shops in the 60's prior to moving on to Howard Street,

and then at a later date to Stanley St.

One Shop was on West Bar (opposite the Moseley PH) the other was at Darnall (bottom of Main Rd)

Guest 30_degrees

Further... I didn't manage to visit Billy but I rang and had a brief chat. Without more information the description given by hilldweller doesn't ring any bells with Billy.

Billy did say that he knows all the shops run by his family whose history started in 1918 see..

http://www.billyclarke.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page_2

I have to say that the description does promote some old images in my fuddled brain but nothing is coming clear. My mum says she thinks she remembers a shop fitting the bill too but can't remember where. My dad would 've been the man to ask but I would now require a medium to get an answer.

Guest Tollbar  Jay

Bennetts of Sheffield has gone into recevership :(

this weekend :( dont think they ever recoverd form the flood :( there did used to be a tackle shop on the wicker too, not calcots used to be on the opo corner to the nice building ..and was sorta part of the brewerey bang on the bridge shut about 1986 ??

this weekend :( dont think they ever recoverd form the flood :( there did used to be a tackle shop on the wicker too, not calcots used to be on the opo corner to the nice building ..and was sorta part of the brewerey bang on the bridge shut about 1986 ??

Hi TJ,

Calcott's was in the Royal Exchange Buildings (address - No. 2 Lady's Bridge) before they moved

onto the Wicker (address - No's 34 to 38, Wicker)

The tackle shop on the corner of Nursery Street (address - No. 3 Nursery St) had three owners

over the period it was open.

The first were Eric Thackeray & his wife Edith, then Alan Beeby,

for a short period between the above owners, it was taken over by Dick Clegg,OBE.

Prior to being a tackle shop, 3 Nursery Street was a Clog makers shop.