Sharrow Cricket Team

John Ibbotson

I have attached a photograph which may be of interest to those with an interest in cricket history. I know little about it other than a pencil written note on the back saying "Sharrow cricket team". My family think it was a church team and one of the players is my great grandfather, Henry Arthur Ibbotson, who is on one knee to the left at the front. He lived on Machon Bank Road near Cherry Tree farm (opposite the Union Pub) in Ecclesall. I would be interested in anyone who could hazard a guess at the date: maybe the styles of clothing are charactersitic of a particular period, I don't know.

Cheers, John

Hello John,

There are a few photos on Picture Sheffield under 'cricket clothing' like this - I think the '1870' refers to the decade.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zo...jpgh/y00570.jpg

I have attached a photograph which may be of interest to those with an interest in cricket history. I know little about it other than a pencil written note on the back saying "Sharrow cricket team". My family think it was a church team and one of the players is my great grandfather, Henry Arthur Ibbotson, who is on one knee to the left at the front. He lived on Machon Bank Road near Cherry Tree farm (opposite the Union Pub) in Ecclesall. I would be interested in anyone who could hazard a guess at the date: maybe the styles of clothing are charactersitic of a particular period, I don't know.

Cheers, John