Message for new members

RichardB

We have a lot of visitors and a lot of views; we receive a lot of Personal Messages, but, what we'd like is a lot of people, newcomers like you, posting a lot of questions. That is what keeps us unpaid paupers working into the wee small hours (I'm sure Admin promised me a fortune ...)

It doesn't matter if they are in the "wrong place" - just post in General Chat and we will sort it out if needed.

There are a number of experts on particular subjects on this site, but, if you are new here you won't know who is who - or who to direct a question at. Just post it up anyway; you'll receive the best welcome and the "right person" will get the best answer to you as soon as they can.

Knowledgeable people are available in a variety of subjects :

War Memorials

Churches

Schools

Cinemas/Theatres

Sport

Maps (hundreds of 'em - ask, 'erm anyone but me)

Gatty's version of Hunters "Hallamshire" - yours for free by Xmas 2009, or £150 to buy

Made in Sheffield

Then and Now

Victorian Public houses/beerhouses

Genealogy (we're particularly good at this)

Little Mesters

Paradise Square

Campo Lane

Places that used to be called something else

Links to PictureSheffield

1920's Sheffield Cookery books

if you can't find it here, ask anyway; some people have access to a remarkable amount of "stuff".

Don't be shy; join, ask and await polite and informative answers. If we can't help; we'll tell you that too. No harm in asking.

Guest transit

We have a lot of visitors and a lot of views; we receive a lot of Personal Messages, but, what we'd like is a lot of people, newcomers like you, posting a lot of questions. That is what keeps us unpaid paupers working into the wee small hours (I'm sure Admin promised me a fortune ...)

It doesn't matter if they are in the "wrong place" - just post in General Chat and we will sort it out if needed.

There are a number of experts on particular subjects on this site, but, if you are new here you won't know who is who - or who to direct a question at. Just post it up anyway; you'll receive the best welcome and the "right person" will get the best answer to you as soon as they can.

War Memorials

Churches

Schools

Cinemas/Theatres

Sport

Gatty's version of Hunters "Hallamshire" - yours for free by Xmas 2009, or £150 to buy

Made in Sheffield

Then and Now

Little Mesters

Paradise Square

Campo Lane

if you can't find it here, ask anyway; some people have access to a remarkable amount of "stuff".

Don't be shy; join, ask and await polite and informative answers. If we can't help; we'll tell you that too. No harm in asking.

...and we are also quite good at answering topics in the Sheffield Transport section !!!!!!! (especially buses , trains ,cars ect) ;-)

...and we are also quite good at answering topics in the Sheffield Transport section !!!!!!! (especially buses , trains ,cars ect) ;-)

Indeed you are Transit, my apologies - doing it from memory and making a pigs ear of it.

Guest bus man

Indeed you are Transit, my apologies - doing it from memory and making a pigs ear of it.

what about me then, dont I count - anyway - I tought transit all he knows :rolleyes::angry: lol

what about me then, dont I count - anyway - I tought transit all he knows :rolleyes::angry:lol

I know so little about Transport I embarrassed so my sincere apologies to you too; you do a great job, which I don't quite understand ... :blink:

hi Richard

as a newcomer, i would like to find any information about the rowing boats on forge dam. My family old wives tales says that the boats were built by william Hedley or even his father from Goole.

Robert <_<

War Memorials

Churches

Schools

Cinemas/Theatres

Sport

Made in Sheffield

Then and Now

Little Mesters

Paradise Square

Campo Lane

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=48916

Picturesheffield.com

Can I remind both new members and existing members about photos from picturesheffield.com.

For copyright reasons please do not post actual photos from the site, always link to the photo its self. If anybody needs help with this please do not hesitate to contact one of the Admin/Moderators

The easiest way to add a link is simply to copy the address in picturesheffield then paste it directly into your post

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=a00087

To add a link into text, again copy the address in picturesheffield, then place your cursor where you want the link to appear in your post, click insert link button at the top of your post (to the right of the smilie) , paste in the address then add your text an you have a link in your post This is a link to a photo in picturesheffield

If you have any problems just ask.

War Memorials

Churches

Schools

Cinemas/Theatres

Sport

Made in Sheffield

Then and Now

Little Mesters

Paradise Square

Campo Lane

Search Screen

The search facility is not brilliant, however there are various things you can do to help

After clicking "Search at the top right,

Click the "More Search Options" link No.1

Click "Advance Usage Help" No.2 this displays a popup No.3

Click on the Show me "Most Relevant" button No.4

Type your search as follows either "Castle Market" or +Castle +Market See No.3

Results are displayed by topic, more logical than the basic search .

Its not perfect but an improvement over the basic search.

We are free, willing to help (if we can) and polite. What we need is more Members and more input to keep the place interesting.

Please tell your family, friends and neighbours about us.

Pictures of "stuff", mystery locations, people and events all gratefully received.

hi Richard

as a newcomer, i would like to find any information about the rowing boats on forge dam. My family old wives tales says that the boats were built by william Hedley or even his father from Goole.

Robert

http://www.sheffield...i...ost&p=48916

Hi hedley . When this question cropped up some time ago, nothing came to light. There was a possibility the old boats were still in storage at the Dam but nothing came of it. However, there's a project just started to restore the dam to its former glory, and there's a lot of interest and work being done. I'll make sure your query stays in mind, so keep coming back, and who knows, we might even find an answer!