The Good Doctor?

GrinderBloke

I don't know what the original name of this pub was, it was at the bottom of Netherthorpe Road, almost across from the filling station

It was probably the first real ale renaissance pub, certainly it was before The Fat Cat, may just before The Frog & Parrot (personally I wouldn't say this pub was part of the real ale regeneration).

The Good Doctor pub had several shelves of medical text books, a great read when enjoying a pint of "Olde Eric" or whatever your chosen tipple was.

Guest wisewoodowl

I can remember going in here around 25 years ago, about at the same time as I went in the Fat Cat.

I seem to think it used to be called The Denison Arms but can't be certain

I don't recall the pub (The Good Doctor) being around for long, maybe two or three years tops. Didn't realise it was open at the same time as The Fat Cat, I could have done a mini pub crawl ;)

[The Fat Cat used to be called The Alma, I just made it into the Alma before the change.

If The Good Doctor was the pub I think it was, then it used to be called The Talbot, and featured a standard sized pool table in a room about 12-15 inches bigger than the table itself. There also used to be a cat and her kittens living inside the table itself; we stopped playing and informed the landlord, who was most amused, saying if you can get your head down there, you'll see 'em playing with the pool balls as they roll down the rack.

Used to be a "den of thieves" according to my Father, he was most disappointed when he took me into the Talbot, saying it had been "done up !", looked a dump to me, but I came to love it, before all the medical stuff arrived. God only knows what my Father would have made of that ...

any photos Alma, or Talbot, will bring back fond memories.

Cheers

Well, he's a remarkable show of irrelevant details ...

The Alma Hotel, 23 Alma Street, S3 (in 1951 Arthur Corker had a full license); went on to become The Fat Cat

The Denison Arms, 33 Watery Street & 4 Malinda Street (in 1951 Thomas B Jones had a full license); unkown to me what became of it (though I could guess)

The Talbot Inn, 40 Hoyle Street, S3 (in 1951 Jas Hayes had a full license), went on the become the Good Doctor, then got flattened.

Guest wisewoodowl

I've asked a few people today who confirm that The Good Doctor did indeed used to be The Talbot.

I've also been told, and I think that this is correct, that is changed it's name to The Old Toad before it was flattened to make way for a road scheme.

YES IT WAS THE TALBOT BEFORE IT BECAME THE GOOD DOCTOR.WENT IN A FEW TIMES AT HOLIDAY TIMES WITH WORKMATES. WE WORKED ON THE END OF MALINDA STREET AND ACROSS FROM OUR WINDOW WAS A CAR SALES PLACE THEN THE TALBOT. AND WHEN IT BECAME GOOD DOCTOR IT WAS LIKE GOING INTO Dr JECKLES SURGERY.

...WHEN IT BECAME GOOD DOCTOR IT WAS LIKE GOING INTO Dr JECKLES SURGERY.

When I was stool looking at surgical text books in there, my mates gave me some odd looks.

Handy if I even need to perform surgery on my self though ;)

1881 Talbot details

CHATTERTON Thomas M 62 W Head Sheffield, York, England Beer Ho Keeper 19 Talbot Rd Talbot Inn Sheffield, York, England

CHATTERTON Walter M 23 U Son Sheffield, York, England Silver Smith 19 Talbot Rd Talbot Inn Sheffield, York, England

COLDWELL Maria F 53 W Serv Thorpe Hesley, York, England Gen Serv Dom 19 Talbot Rd Talbot Inn Sheffield, York, England

Guest sammyopisite

When it was the Talbot it was a pub which I used whenever I was home in the 60s to the early 80s as I grew up in that area and my pa was fined for drinking before time in there one sunday morning many years ago. The back door was open arounnd 1030-1100 for regulars.

I may be wrong (am often am) but I think it changed to the Old Toad and was something to do with Dave Wickett of Fat Cat and Champs fame.

As for the Denison I remember it quite well and i'm 34 and used to deliver there, it was a hole of a pub and shut about 10 years ago and was left derelict until demolished a few years ago.

There was a fellow who would be in there all the time, I think he was called Leo, not quite a vagrant, but along those lines.

Guest Duke of Darnall

Been following the Good Doctor v Fat Cat v Denison Arms debate.

Although it's before my time, I always understood The Good Doctor to have been The Talbot and to have been The Old Toad before it's demolition for roadworks. I read somewhere that Derek Dooley came down for the offficial re-opening.

The Fat Cat has only ever been The Alma.

I reckon The Dension has been closed less than 10 years. Used to be a decent pub but got a bit dodgy towards the end.

It was included in the 1992 Good Beer Guide. Here's the write up:

'Splendid example of an unspoilt local. Tastefully decorated, bay-windowed lounge with many certificates won by the landlady. Small public bar with pool table'. It served Stones Best Bitter.

The Good Doctor was originally The Talbot and became The Old Toad before it's demolition for roadworks.

The Fat Cat/Kat was formerly The Alma.

The above is correct - I have been in all of them, old and new.

The Denison was always The Denison until its closure (1830's - 1990's)

The Alma became The Fat Kat whenever the owners said it did, but I was in the Alma with my Father circa 1980 when it was definately still The Alma.

Guest Gramps

I've asked a few people today who confirm that The Good Doctor did indeed used to be The Talbot.

I've also been told, and I think that this is correct, that is changed it's name to The Old Toad before it was flattened to make way for a road scheme.

You mean T'owd Toad ? lol