Looking for ancestors of Thomas & Clara (nee Birks) Parkin. Son, William Birks Parkin

Guest richteach654

Guest richteach654

1881 Census shows them at 52 Alderson Road Sheffield. Children: William Birks, Arthur E, Thomas, Florence C and Alfred

1881 Census shows them at 52 Alderson Road Sheffield. Children: William Birks, Arthur E, Thomas, Florence C and Alfred

37 year old, Sheffield born pen blade grinder huh ?

Clara Birks 1861

Parents William and Elizabeth, bothers and sisters. Address maybe ... well you tell me, a bit tough on my eyes hink I can read it but ...

Guest richteach654

37 year old, Sheffield born pen blade grinder huh ?

Dear Richard B ,

Many thanks for your helpful posts.

William Birks Parkin was my grandfather. He married Lily Florence Lovatt, a primary school teacher from Ashbourne, Derbyshire and they moved to London, where in the 1920, he was a music critic and reviewer, contributing regularly to the "Sound Wave" , a magazine for gramaphone buffs. He also composed a piece of music for Compton MacKenzie's wedding. His daughter, my Aunt Eva, was an accomplished painist, who I was told, was a one time accompianist to the violinist Alfredo Campoli.

In my research online through Ancestry.com, I also found a Thomas Parkin in the 1851 census, aged 7, which would appear about right, but if that is him (at 151 Sycomore Street, his parents are different to the Thomas you found aged 17 in 1861. ( Thomas and Eliza) I would attach a copy of that census but my hopeless computer skills haven't ,so far, enabled me to do that.

On reflection I guess I ought to be appealing for descendents of Thomas & Clara Parkin, of whom, I know at this point in time, as it would be good to know them and also they might be able to fill in more information on my line of the family. I'm new at this genealogy research and any suggestions you might have as how to titled a new thread would be greatly appreciated.

However it seems clear that at some point my great great grandfather Thomas was able at break out of the blade making grind and make a living probably as a teacher of music, as he is described in a later Sheffield census.

Thanks again

Richard P

(richteach654)

Of course, I'm not related, just interesting in poking around others history. I can't offer any intelligent comment after 1901 (others may be able to); you can email me "stuff" to post - census images, which I will do for you. The "slightly-more-organised-than-RichardB Fairies" may just re-post the instructions on how to post images. Hopefully ...

I'm best with a question full of details (pre-1901) and entirely hopeless afterwards.

Good Luck; keep us posted; we don't mind being told what we have found is wrong - we just do our best to give answers/pointers etc - of course, it's up to you to follow up.

Tips for genealogy ... keep sane, didn't work for me but it's a great tip.