Blitz Bomb Map2

RichardB

This is from "Then and Now The Sheffield Blitz - Operation Crucible" by Alistair Lofthouse.

I've never thought of scanning this before, I just keep peering a the A5 sized map in the book and getting a headache. Anyway, he's a reasonably scanned(i.e. big enough to read) copy.

Maybe we could identify a few and stick some links to PictureSheffield Blitz pictures ... ? Maybe ...

This is from "Then and Now The Sheffield Blitz - Operation Crucible" by Alistair Lofthouse.

I've never thought of scanning this before, I just keep peering a the A5 sized map in the book and getting a headache. Anyway, he's a reasonably scanned(i.e. big enough to read) copy.

Maybe we could identify a few and stick some links to PictureSheffield Blitz pictures ... ? Maybe ...

I have already posted these maps previously in the Sheffield Bibliography thread, and with the bomb hits in colour to make them stand out.

Blitz Bombs

The one on the corner of Cradock Road and Dagnam Road outside Norfolk School is the one that me and Stuart0742 have referred to as falling outside "Frithy's house" (a school aquaintance of ours). We think this bomb never existed as there is, and seems to have been, even evidence that a bomb went off there. Makes us wonder how accurate these maps are and who exactly drew them up.

This is the site of this bomb today

The 2 bombs which fell on Arbourthorne field, one either side of Eastern Avenue would have done little if any damage, although the one close to Arbourthorne Road on the section with the pond has been mentioned on Sheffield Forum before it would be difficult to prove the other one as it is in a landscaped and terraced field so any crater would have long since been relandscaped.

As for the bombs further towards town on City road near Sky Edge there are to this day houses missing or gaps in terraces where houses once stood, or a new house in a gap in a row of old ones. Evidence for properties destroyed by these bombs.

Ah - so near and yet so far.

Derbyshire Lane isn't on.

There's been confusion about where the bombs fell around there.

According to my Mom (who was in the Cellar when their house collapsed, so she should know) a bomb fell opposite their house. We can't find any record of it or even anything close by.

Still a mystery.

According to my Mom (who was in the Cellar when their house collapsed, so she should know) a bomb fell opposite their house. We can't find any record of it or even anything close by.

Still a mystery.

There is a Picture in Sheffield Pictures of bomb damage in Derbyshire Lane

Library Services Pictures, Derbyshire Lane

There is a Picture in Sheffield Pictures of bomb damage in Derbyshire Lane

Library Services Pictures, Derbyshire Lane

Thanks.

Don't know how I missed that one. I've looked before.

That certainly doesn't seem to be Mom's house so there was obviously more than one.

I'll print the photo and go up there to see if I can work out where that on is.

Still a mystery.

Taken from `Sheffield at War` Kemsley Newspapers 1948.

I think I have already contributed to this here

Blitz Bombs

Looks like the threads are very similar and could be merged.

We seem to have 2 parallel topics going here, therefore moved posts from 2nd topic into this 1

We seem to have 2 parallel topics going here, therefore moved posts from 2nd topic into this 1

Thats better, seems more logical to keep related posts on the same subject together.

Thanks Stuart