Giles Brunton Hydes Bradley

Guest karentrinder

Guest karentrinder

This is a triumph of hope over expectation but I am researching the above names all sheffield - the 2 sides of my family.

The giles/bradley and brunton/hydes links arose in the 1920s and my Dad, Harold Giles, and Mum, Jean Brnton, came soon after. If anyone out there has anyhting relevant, I would be SO thrilled!

You never know.......

Ta for looking,

Karen :blink:

This is a triumph of hope over expectation but I am researching the above names all sheffield - the 2 sides of my family.

The giles/bradley and brunton/hydes links arose in the 1920s and my Dad, Harold Giles, and Mum, Jean Brnton, came soon after. If anyone out there has anyhting relevant, I would be SO thrilled!

You never know.......

Ta for looking,

Karen :blink:

Hi and Welcome to the site.

Could you supply any first names/probable locations please. Unlikely I can help, 1925 and I'm goosed, too young to be on trade directories; might find a parent though - hence the location request, Street name or district.

Others may be able to help more than me.

Good Luck.

Hello Karen,

Welcome to the site!

Since you have your grandmothers' maiden names....do you have your parents' birth certificates?

If you have, can you give us the details?

I can't find a GILES/BRADLEY marriage in the '20's, but there were these two in the previous decade:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1913

GILES Thomas A (spouse: BRADLEY) Sheffield 9c 1009

BRADLEY Rebecca (GILES) Sheffield 9c 1009

GRO Marriages DEC Qtr 1914

GILES George H (BRADLEY) Sheffield 9c 1226

BRADLEY Henrietta (GILES) Sheffield 9c 1226

There are 11 possible children listed at FreeBMD, but without other information it is impossible to distribute them between these couples.

This seems a likely marriage for the other family:

GRO Marriages SEP Qtr 1924

BRUNTON Norman (HYDES) Ecclesall B. 9c 901

HYDES Doris (BRUNTON) Ecclesall B. 9c 901

There is a WW1 service record for a Norman BRUNTON at Ancestry.co.uk. He was born in 1897. His address is listed as 72 Mount Pleasant Rd, Sheffield. His next of kin is listed as his grandmother, Eliza SANDERS (it is not clear when this was entered on his 'military history' sheet - some time between when he enlisted in 1915 and being demobbed in 1919).

Hugh

His next of kin is listed as his grandmother, Eliza SANDERS

This is what the record says, but I have my doubts. I think she is his mother, who is listed as unmarried with two children (Annie 20 and Norman 3) in 1901. An Eliza BRUNTON and a John SANDERS are on the same page of the marriage index in 1909.

Hugh

Buried together in City Road Cemetery:

Brunton, Walter (Table Knife Cutler, age 65).

Died at 69 Thomas St; Buried on December 21, 1895 in Unconsecrated ground;

Grave Number 11991, Section AA of City Road Cemetery, Eccleshall.

Brunton, Walter (Engine Stoker, age 32).

Died at 69 Thomas St; Buried on March 14, 1900 in Unconsecrated ground;

Grave Number 11991, Section AA of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

SANDERS, Eliza (Widow, age 74).

Died at 29 Kensington Rd, Morecambe; Buried on March 16, 1934 in General Portion ground;

SANDERS, John (Engine Tenter, age 69).

Died at 147 Fitzwilliam St; Buried on March 11, 1914 in General Portion ground;

I think that the two Walter's are Eliza's father and brother. 'General Portion' means unconsecrated, therefore non-Anglican.

In 1891, Eliza and Annie BRUNTON are lodgers in the household of John and Sarah SANDERS (3803 folio 33 page 19)

All very interesting if this is the right family!

Hugh

Guest karentrinder

Hi and Welcome to the site.

Could you supply any first names/probable locations please. Unlikely I can help, 1925 and I'm goosed, too young to be on trade directories; might find a parent though - hence the location request, Street name or district.

Others may be able to help more than me.

Good Luck.

Guest karentrinder

Thats amazing!

Sorry I took so long to reply, but I thought I would be mailed if anyone answered so I didn’t know anyone had been helpful until I looked by chance!

Thanks for asking, Richard - Locations include:

Giles = Firth Browns , Carlisle Road, Botham st, Bodmin St

Bradley =Attercliffe Common

Brunton = Thomas St, Milton St, Mount Pleasant Rd, Hesley Road (lots later)

Hydes = Owlerton, Netherfield Road

Hugh, You are correct in every respect – they were mostly Attercliffe people, table knife/spring knife cutlers and file hardeners (?) in the main. The fine details are on my Ancestry tree.

The grave you identified is Walter, my ggggrandad, his daughter Eliza, my ggggrandma. Eliza lived with the Sanders family from 1881, the wife died and then John and Eliza married in 1909. I didn’t realise they weren’t C of E though.

Norman, my granddad was brought up as Eliza’s child, then Annie admitted he was hers. He reregistered his birth in time to get married himself in 1923, giving his Mum’s then husband as his father, but I don’t think I believe that!

The irritating Giles/Bradley marriages and children thing mans I don’t really know which are my relatives. I knew just 4 of them (Tom, George, Henrietta, Harold (my dad)) and I wondered if some of the others were mine and died, but I can find no records.

I am really grateful for all your interest, just sorry that its taken me a year to say so, and to benefit!

TTFN - will check sooner this time,

Karen lol