Howard family

Guest Jeremy

Guest Jeremy

I'm trying to solve a puzzle. Maybe someone here can help.

Elijah HOWARD was born in Norfolk in 1842 to Richard HOWARD and Maria nee BONING.

The family moved to Sheffield some time before 1861. At the time of the 1861 census they were living on Creswick Street.

I'm fairly sure that Elijah married Lucy GODDARD in 1865. By the time of the 1871 census they were living at 126 Creswick Street with two children, Charles (age 4), and Florence (age 3).

At some point in the next ten years Lucy died. I have a guess from looking at freeBMD that this was in 1879.

So by the time of the 1881 census Elijah was a widower living at 125 Burgoyn Road with his three children. This is the census record:

Fast forward to 1891:

Elijah is now living at 76 Weston Street with a new wife, Jane, daughter Emily (age 20) from his previous marriage and four new children, one of whom, Gertrude (age 9) will be my great grandmother.

Now the puzzle starts. Here's what I'm fairly certain is the marriage certificate for Elijah and Jane:

Elijah's new wife is Jane SIMMONS, a widow who was born Jane BEECH

Anyone who was observant might of noticed Jane SIMMONS before... she's on the 1881 census record at 125 Burgoyn Road, listed as a domestic servant. The more observant will have noticed that all three of the children that were born in the 1880s were born before Elijah married Jane.

Because I'm interested in Gertrude I wanted to find her birth certificate. It took me a long time to find it but I eventually found a Gertrude Howard SIMMONS listed on freeBMD, so I sent for the certificate. Here it is:

Frustratingly, no father is listed, but the mother is Jane SIMMONS.

Jane BEECH/SIMMONS is a bit elusive prior to 1881. I think that I have found her on the 1851 census in Radford, Worksop, Notts; and there is a good candidate working as a cook at the house of Thomas Jessop (Endcliffe Grange) in Sheffield in 1871. It is possible that she married Edmund SIMMONS in Worksop in 1874. The 1881 census lists her as married, and at the time of the census she must have been pregnant with Gertrude. On Gertrude's marriage certificate from 1905 Elijah is listed as her father.

So my questions are:

1) Would you assume that Elijah really is the father, or could it be Edmund SIMMONS?

2) What happened to Edmund SIMMONS? Surely if he had died before 1881 Jane would have been listed as a widow on the census. But I can't find a death between 1881 and 1889 that fits the bill.

3) Assuming Elijah is the father, why did they wait so long to get married?--it appears that they had three children out of wedlock. One theory I have is that Edmund SIMMONS just disappeared--presumably then there would be a certain period of time before he would be declared dead, allowing Elijah and Jane to marry.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Jeremy

Guest Jeremy

Thanks Gramps. If, after the seven years, he had been declared dead, presumably a death certificate would have been issued. Would this have made it into the regular BMD listings? I know that freeBMD is not necessarily complete but they do not list the death certificate of any male SIMMONS of appropriate age in Sheffield, Ecclesall, or Worksop in the 1880s.

I would have assumed that in order to marry Elijah, Jane would have had to produce some proof of the death of her previous husband. Perhaps not--my paternal grandfather was able to walk out on his first wife and remarry without any divorce or annulment of the first marriage--though, as you say, this was probably easier for men than for women at that time.

Jeremy

This is just me adding a few thoughts

-------------------------------------------

I'm trying to solve a puzzle. Maybe someone here can help.

Elijah HOWARD was born in Norfolk in 1842 to Richard HOWARD and Maria nee BONING. [Please post evidence]

The family moved to Sheffield some time before 1861. At the time of the 1861 census they were living on Creswick Street. [1861 census image; full image please]

I'm fairly sure that Elijah married Lucy GODDARD in 1865. [Evidence/image please]

By the time of the 1871 census they were living at 126 Creswick Street with two children, Charles (age 4), and Florence (age 3). [Evidence/image please]

At some point in the next ten years Lucy died. I have a guess from looking at freeBMD that this was in 1879. [Link/image]

So by the time of the 1881 census Elijah was a widower living at 125 Burgoyn Road with his three children. This is the census record:

[Any evidence between 1881 and 1891 ? Directories, BDM's, Rate books]

Fast forward to 1891:

Elijah is now living at 76 Weston Street with a new wife, Jane, daughter Emily (age 20) from his previous marriage and four new children, one of whom, Gertrude (age 9) will be my great grandmother.

[birth certificates for all children please]

Now the puzzle starts. Here's what I'm fairly certain is the marriage certificate for Elijah and Jane:

Elijah's new wife is Jane SIMMONS, a widow who was born Jane BEECH

Anyone who was observant might of noticed Jane SIMMONS before [evidence of Jane before 1881 ?; 1871 census for example]... she's on the 1881 census record at 125 Burgoyn Road, listed as a domestic servant. The more observant will have noticed that all three of the children that were born in the 1880s were born before Elijah married Jane.

Because I'm interested in Gertrude I wanted to find her birth certificate. It took me a long time to find it but I eventually found a Gertrude Howard SIMMONS listed on freeBMD, so I sent for the certificate. Here it is:

Frustratingly, no father is listed, but the mother is Jane SIMMONS.

Jane BEECH/SIMMONS is a bit elusive prior to 1881 [1871 and 1861 have to carry more weight than 1851; work backwards]. I think that I have found her on the 1851 census in Radford, Worksop, Notts; and there is a good candidate working as a cook at the house of Thomas Jessop (Endcliffe Grange) in Sheffield in 1871. [image please]

It is possible that she married Edmund SIMMONS in Worksop in 1874. [Evidence please]

The 1881 census lists [image please] her as married, and at the time of the census she must have been pregnant with Gertrude. On Gertrude's marriage certificate from 1905 [Evidence please/Image] Elijah is listed as her father.

So my questions are:

1) Would you assume that Elijah really is the father, or could it be Edmund SIMMONS?

2) What happened to Edmund SIMMONS? Surely if he had died before 1881 Jane would have been listed as a widow on the census. But I can't find a death between 1881 and 1889 that fits the bill.

3) Assuming Elijah is the father, why did they wait so long to get married?--it appears that they had three children out of wedlock. One theory I have is that Edmund SIMMONS just disappeared--presumably then there would be a certain period of time before he would be declared dead, allowing Elijah and Jane to marry.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Jeremy

--------------------------------------

There you go, no help at all, but, just maybe, I've raised a few questions in your mind ...

keep us posted.

Guest Jeremy

Thanks Richard. Here's some more sources...

Elijah HOWARD was born in Norfolk in 1842 to Richard HOWARD and Maria nee BONING. [Please post evidence]

I don't have a birth certificate for Elijah yet. My guess is that it might be this one on freeBMD The evidence that I do have for his birth is from census data and the marriage certificate posted above. That certificate shows that Elijah's, by then deceased, father was Richard Howard, a brick layer.

I have Richard Howard with wife Maria in Sheffield in 1861:

and 1871:

I'm not quite sure how I identified Maria HOWARD's maiden name as BONING-- it was probably given to me by another researcher.

At the time of the 1861 census they were living on Creswick Street. [1861 census image; full image please]

see above

I'm fairly sure that Elijah married Lucy GODDARD in 1865. [Evidence/image please]

That Elijah's first wife was called Lucy can be seen on the 1871 census (see below). This marriage listed at freeBMD is the best candidate that I can find--I would need to get the certificate to be sure (it is on my--long--list).

By the time of the 1871 census they were living at 126 Creswick Street with two children, Charles (age 4), and Florence (age 3). [Evidence/image please]

At some point in the next ten years Lucy died. I have a guess from looking at freeBMD that this was in 1879. [Link/image]

Death of Lucy HOWARD, aged 32--name, place and age tie in with the 1871 census return (above).

[Any evidence between 1881 and 1891 ? Directories, BDM's, Rate books]

Despite having a fairly rare name Elijah can be quite hard to find.

This is Kelly's 1881 directory:

Interestingly the 1881 census lists him as at #125 and the directory at #129. Gertrude Howard's birth certificate also gives the address as #129. The person listed at #125 in the directory (John Lambert) is listed at #129 in the 1881 census, so it looks like they swapped houses.

Fast forward to 1891: [birth certificates for all children please]

I don't have these yet. Here are a couple that are on my to do list:

Arthur Howard SIMMONS

Beatrice Howard SIMMONS

Anyone who was observant might of noticed Jane SIMMONS before [evidence of Jane before 1881 ?; 1871 census for example]...

It is possible that she married Edmund SIMMONS in Worksop in 1874. [Evidence please]

1871 census (this may or may not be her, but the name, age, and place of birth fit well)

I haven't yet found her on the 1861 census. Here's my best guess at the 1851 census--name, place of birth, age, and name of father all fit:

Possible marriage of Jane BEECH and Edmund SIMMONS. This certificate is high on my list to get--I think that it may help answer a lot of questions.

The 1881 census lists [image please] her as married

This is on the 1881 census image for Elijah Howard that I posted above

On Gertrude's marriage certificate from 1905 [Evidence please/Image] Elijah is listed as her father.

This is a photograph of the original certificate from my family's archives:

Guest Jeremy

Doesn't really help with the puzzle, but here's Elijah Howard in 1901.

White's directory:

1901 Census:

Guest Jeremy

Got him in White's 1879 directory. Now I'm really not sure why the 1881 census has him at 125 Burgoyne Road (a mistake on the part of the census taker perhaps?)

MI

Wardsend Cemetery

Grave H183

Lucy wife of Elijah HOWARD died 27th August 1879 aged 32 years

also Mary Ellen daughter of the above died 9th January 1871 aged 1 year

also the above-named Elijah HOWARD died 3rd January 1919 aged 76 years

Hugh

Also in Wardsend, but from the burial register:

HOWARD Jane 24 May 1899 74 Albert Terr Rd 48 wi Elijah

[name/date of burial/address/age/description or relationship]

Might be in the same grave but not listed on the gravestone?

The grave reference will be listed in the original, (the above is from the published transcription).

Hugh

Guest Jeremy

Thanks Hugh, I didn't know where they were buried. I will definitely be paying a visit to Wardsend the next time I'm in Sheffield.

... be paying a visit to Wardsend the next time I'm in Sheffield.

I had a great time there; found nothing at all, but enjoyed the afternoon. Take spare clothes if it's wet ... he said, laughing as he spoke ...

I was doing some other stuff in the Archives today and took the opportunity to look up the burial entry for Jane HOWARD. She was buried in a different grave, H130, which is quite close to H183. According to my plan (not necessarily complete) there is no gravestone on this grave.

Hugh

Guest Jeremy

She was buried in a different grave, H130, which is quite close to H183.

Thanks Hugh. I've never thought about this before, but I have another ancestor who was married three times during his lifetime, yet was buried in the same grave as his first wife--I'm not sure where the second and third wives were buried, they may not even be in the same cemetery. Was there some rule or custom that prevented different spouses being buried in the same grave?

Jeremy

Thanks Hugh. I've never thought about this before, but I have another ancestor who was married three times during his lifetime, yet was buried in the same grave as his first wife--I'm not sure where the second and third wives were buried, they may not even be in the same cemetery. Was there some rule or custom that prevented different spouses being buried in the same grave?

Jeremy

As another possibility the burial plot may have been bought and paid for "in advance". My grandmother (Paternal) died in 1926, about a year after her burial, my grandfather made an additional payment reserving a space in the same plot, he didn't need it until 1952.

I had a great time there; found nothing at all, but enjoyed the afternoon. Take spare clothes if it's wet ... he said, laughing as he spoke ...

As I was warned, the first trip to Wardsend was an adventure. Even with plot plans in hand there was very little hope of finding anything.

Just out of interest, Hugh, next time you are looking at the burials index could you see what the grave number is for Mary Ann Wall (d. Jan 3, 1862) and Thomas Wall (d. Dec 9, 1895) -- I think that this grave was in roughly the right area, so I'd like to know how close I got.

thanks,

Jeremy

Just out of interest, Hugh, next time you are looking at the burials index could you see what the grave number is for Mary Ann Wall (d. Jan 3, 1862) and Thomas Wall (d. Dec 9, 1895) -- I think that this grave was in roughly the right area, so I'd like to know how close I got.

Sorry you didn't find these graves on this visit.

That WALL grave is I 235 (Mary Ann actually died 5 Jul 1869).

So H183 is 27 graves to the right (towards the railway) and two rows forward.

The plot plans you mentioned - are they ones I have sent you (I can't remember if I offered)? If not, I can send you one showing the individual grave plots for the HOWARD graves (if you pm me an email address).

Hugh

Sorry you didn't find these graves on this visit.

That WALL grave is I 235 (Mary Ann actually died 5 Jul 1869).

So H183 is 27 graves to the right (towards the railway) and two rows forward.

The plot plans you mentioned - are they ones I have sent you (I can't remember if I offered)? If not, I can send you one showing the individual grave plots for the HOWARD graves (if you pm me an email address).

Hugh

Wow, I can't believe how far off I was--I'll need to take someone with me next time to give me a hand counting, apparently I'm not very good at it.

The plot plans that I have came from the Sheffield Indexers website. If you have better ones than those I'd be very grateful for them (pm on its way).

thanks, Jeremy