Higginbottom

winter64

Do you belong to the family tree of the folk listed below?

The family started in Staveley Chesterfield and then moved to Sheffield.

Samuel was a collier then a shopkeeper living at 5 Eastwood Road, his sons George and Alfred were coal dealers.

If these names or any connected mean anything to you please get in touch I am currently researching the Higginbottom family tree, I am Edrics grand-daughter and I am in touch with Leslie Higginbottoms grand-daughter and we would love to find more rellies to share info, stories and photos!!!

My Great Grandad Samuel Higginbottom (Higginbotham on birth cert) Born 1873 married Jessie Ann Booth and another unknown (as yet) lady

Sons:

Herbert William b 1892

Harold b 1893

Albert b 1896

Cyril b 1898 died WW1 1916

George b 1900 married Nellie Milnes

Charles b 1901

Alfred b 1904-1936 married Alice Smith

Leslie b 1907-1951

Edric b 1910 -1959 married Phyllis Spooner

Samuel was a collier then a shopkeeper living at 5 Eastwood Road, his sons George and Alfred were coal dealers.

If these names or any connected mean anything to you please get in touch I am currently researching the Higginbottom family tree, I am Edrics grand-daughter and I am in touch with Leslie Higginbottoms grand-daughter and we would love to find more rellies to share info, stories and photos!!!

My Great Grandad Samuel Higginbottom (Higginbotham on birth cert) Born 1873 married Jessie Ann Booth and another unknown (as yet) lady

Sons:

Herbert William b 1892

Harold b 1893

Albert b 1896

Charles b 1901

Leslie b 1907-1951

Don't know if this adds anything to your knowledge ...

Don't know if this adds anything to your knowledge ...

Made a mess of that didn't I ?

Another attempt.

Bless you for those thank you.

I found him in 1881, he was a pesky devil to find though because he was transcribed incorrectly as HARRISON which was his mothers first married name (nee Beardsley) so he is shown as Samuel Harrison along with his siblings living with William and Ann.

William was born in Sheffield in 1839ish and I have a full run of census for him.

I know Samuels son Cyril died at the Somme and I know a bit about Alfred but absolutely nothing about the eldest 3 boys Herbert William, Harold and Albert other than what is on any census record. Charles is a bit of a mystery too!

Sons:

Herbert William b 1892

Harold b 1893

Albert b 1896

Charles b 1901

Leslie b 1907-1951

OK so I was suprised to find a post carrying my surname (DaveH = Dave Higginbottom) and I have researched my family history back to around 1577 - 1580 but this is NOT my family of Higginbottoms.

As I understand it the original and ancestral home of this surname is high in the Peak District around Glossop, Charlesworth, Chisworth and Marple where a large proportion of people carry the name. With migration for work in towns during the industrial revolution several families came in to Sheffield looking for work. The largest family came in from Hathersage in the 1700's. Mine came in from Norton ( now Sheffield S8 but at the time it was a Derbyshire village ) in the 1860's. The family listed here is a third family which settled in north Derbyshire around Dronfield, Chesterfield, Wingerworth and Tupton.

Even though its not my family listed here I still find the whole male line name study fascinating. I am sure that if we could go back far enough we are, all of these families, linked up but I have no idea how many generations we would need to go back to prove this, or indeed how many times removed my relationship to winter64 is.

William was born in Sheffield in 1839ish and I have a full run of census for him.

I know Samuels son Cyril died at the Somme and I know a bit about Alfred but absolutely nothing about the eldest 3 boys Herbert William, Harold and Albert other than what is on any census record. Charles is a bit of a mystery too!

I'm no relative but I'd like to see William's full census run (if possible).

Cyril should be of interest to Deansgirl, sure the Somme is an area of expertise to him.

Good Luck with your investigations, please keep us updated. We poke around, trying to help but we're interested in updates too.

Even though its not my family listed here I still find the whole male line name study fascinating. I am sure that if we could go back far enough we are, all of these families, linked up but I have no idea how many generations we would need to go back to prove this, or indeed how many times removed my relationship to winter64 is.

Winters GGGreat Granny owes your GGRFather a farthing, that's £2.3 million with interest !

Winters GGGreat Granny owes your GGRFather a farthing, that's £2.3 million with interest !

Which grandfather of mine is that Richard?

How many Greats?

OK so I was suprised to find a post carrying my surname (DaveH = Dave Higginbottom) and I have researched my family history back to around 1577 - 1580 but this is NOT my family of Higginbottoms.

As I understand it the original and ancestral home of this surname is high in the Peak District around Glossop, Charlesworth, Chisworth and Marple where a large proportion of people carry the name. With migration for work in towns during the industrial revolution several families came in to Sheffield looking for work. The largest family came in from Hathersage in the 1700's. Mine came in from Norton ( now Sheffield S8 but at the time it was a Derbyshire village ) in the 1860's. The family listed here is a third family which settled in north Derbyshire around Dronfield, Chesterfield, Wingerworth and Tupton.

I hope I have done this quote thing right??!!

Hi Dave ,

My maiden name was Higginbottom and I also have another Branch of Higginbottoms which go further back but were based in Sheffield. I am connected to them through a Dorothy Higginbottom B 1749 marrying a Joseph Balm b 1745 - which is my mums family name and was the family I was researching, when I stumbled across this marriage to a Higginbottom. l was given access to someones tree in Ancestry who held details a lot further back than I had.

Dorothy and Joseph are my GGGGG Grandparents, so if you have this branch then we are related. Dorothys parents were Joseph Higginbottom and Hellen Yellott.

Spookily enough My dad a Higginbottom married a Balm my mum, so history repeated itself! I havent managed to find that they are related though - so far !!!!

I was talking to Leslie Higginbottoms G/Daughter earlier and discussing the name thing and she had found a link to Lancashire. I remember my Uncle telling me that a Higgin was a type of Hill?? but as I have been going through the tree I thought it seemed to be the Higginbothams that were in Lancashire and Higginbottoms in Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

Samuels Dad William, born Sheffield but lived in Clay Cross, his dad was also a Samuel but I dont know where he was born yet. They were all miners and their daughters married miners. Areas I have found on census records they lived so far are Staveley, Brimington, Clay Cross and Normanton.

One last question - How do you know they were the third family to settle - that fascinates me?

Richard - If I can work it OK I will post you Williams census records in a bit.

Thanks very much for your replies, its made my day !!! The last post I had on the Balms over 100 folk read but sadly no replies.

I'm no relative but I'd like to see William's full census run (if possible).

Cyril should be of interest to Deansgirl, sure the Somme is an area of expertise to him.

Good Luck with your investigations, please keep us updated. We poke around, trying to help but we're interested in updates too.

Hi Richard,

Rightio, Im stretching my technical skills tonight!! I will try and attach the census records for you

1851 census and 1861 census

Hi Richard,

1871 and 1881 census attached and 1891 and 1901 are already posted here kindly by you.

I hope I have done this quote thing right??!!

Hi Dave ,

My maiden name was Higginbottom and I also have another Branch of Higginbottoms which go further back but were based in Sheffield. I am connected to them through a Dorothy Higginbottom B 1749 marrying a Joseph Balm b 1745 - which is my mums family name and was the family I was researching, when I stumbled across this marriage to a Higginbottom. l was given access to someones tree in Ancestry who held details a lot further back than I had.

Dorothy and Joseph are my GGGGG Grandparents, so if you have this branch then we are related. Dorothys parents were Joseph Higginbottom and Hellen Yellott.

Spookily enough My dad a Higginbottom married a Balm my mum, so history repeated itself! I havent managed to find that they are related though - so far !!!!

I was talking to Leslie Higginbottoms G/Daughter earlier and discussing the name thing and she had found a link to Lancashire. I remember my Uncle telling me that a Higgin was a type of Hill?? but as I have been going through the tree I thought it seemed to be the Higginbothams that were in Lancashire and Higginbottoms in Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

Samuels Dad William, born Sheffield but lived in Clay Cross, his dad was also a Samuel but I dont know where he was born yet. They were all miners and their daughters married miners. Areas I have found on census records they lived so far are Staveley, Brimington, Clay Cross and Normanton.

One last question - How do you know they were the third family to settle - that fascinates me?

Richard - If I can work it OK I will post you Williams census records in a bit.

Thanks very much for your replies, its made my day !!! The last post I had on the Balms over 100 folk read but sadly no replies.

I can definately say there is no connection between our two Higginbottom families as far back as at least the 1700's, roughly 8 to 10 generations.

To clear up the misunderstanding, your family is the third one I have come across in this area, NOT the third one to settle. I think my own branch settled here most recently.

Higginbottom amnd Higginbotham are the same name spelt differently due to lack of education and literacy before about 1870. Today Higginbotham would be pronounced when spoken as "BOH-THAM" but it was originally pronounced phonetically as written, ie (BOTT -HAM) which is bottom in present day spelling.

Higgin can refer to a hill but also has a Germanic origin meaning wooden or oak. The name is locative refering to either the bottom of a hill or the bottom end of a wooded area.

There is no Yorkshire / Lancashire variation in the name. As the area I stated as the ancestral centre for the name borders Yorkshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire and Cheshire these are the counties where the name is most heavily concentrated.

Although I have no connection to your family line yet I will post some details of my own Higginbottom line here for you to look at when I get a bit more time to collate it and condense it down as there is rather a lot.

I can definately say there is no connection between our two Higginbottom families as far back as at least the 1700's, roughly 8 to 10 generations.

To clear up the misunderstanding, your family is the third one I have come across in this area, NOT the third one to settle. I think my own branch settled here most recently.

Higginbottom amnd Higginbotham are the same name spelt differently due to lack of education and literacy before about 1870. Today Higginbotham would be pronounced when spoken as "BOH-THAM" but it was originally pronounced phonetically as written, ie (BOTT -HAM) which is bottom in present day spelling.

Higgin can refer to a hill but also has a Germanic origin meaning wooden or oak. The name is locative refering to either the bottom of a hill or the bottom end of a wooded area.

There is no Yorkshire / Lancashire variation in the name. As the area I stated as the ancestral centre for the name borders Yorkshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire and Cheshire these are the counties where the name is most heavily concentrated.

Although I have no connection to your family line yet I will post some details of my own Higginbottom line here for you to look at when I get a bit more time to collate it and condense it down as there is rather a lot.

Oh I see... Doh! I thought you had some fantastic book that showed when families settled in an area!!! - senior moment! :0)

Shame theres no link, your knowledge would be invaluable. I look forward to seeing the details of your line and if you have any more general Higginbottom history I would love to read it.

Thank you, I like a quick look at such images, not in the hope of finding one of mine, simply because I didn't have to spend time and effort finding them I do quite enough of that as you may have noticed.