Pubs in Attercliffe

Guest Goosetree

Guest Goosetree

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help, but i am after information on 2 pubs in the Attercliffe area

Station Hotel - owned by William Henry Day in c1900 - still operating

Omnibus Hotel ? owned by Albert Gosling around the same time c1900.

Can you direct me on where to go to find information on these hotels.

Thanks

Kim

From the Pubs Section Known Keepers list.

You can also look for books by Michael Liversidge "A wander up the Cliffe" and "Another wander up the Cliffe" he has aslo written a couple of books on Old Sheffield Pubs!

Omnibus

766 Attercliffe Road, S9

Open 1948 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

1948 Frank Binks

1951 Frederick Hamer

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help, but i am after information on 2 pubs in the Attercliffe area

Thanks

Kim

Hi

Thanks

Kim

Welcome to the site. Believe it or not, you, yes you, are now our resident expert of these two Pubs !

What I mean is, you have details of the keepers of these two boozers that pre-date anything I/we have located so far.

Can you tell us how you come by the names/dates ? Is it Family stuff or do you have Census or other images ? I'd like to see them if possible please. I will update our current record(s).

Even with your additional information this is all we currently have on these premises :

Station Inn 732 Attercliffe Road, S9

William Henry Day c1900

James A Hurrell (1948)

Frank Dungworth (1951)

(There is a possibility that William Day held the Washington, 79 Fitzwilliam Street in 1893; maybe worth checking out further if it is the person that you are interested in, rather than the building)

Station Hotel picture 1 1980's

Station Hotel picture 1 1980's

There was (is ?) a tiny front room and, down the alleyway, a larger backroom with jukebox.

Omnibus 766 Attercliffe Road, S9

Albert Gosling c1900

Frank Binks (1948)

Frederick Hamer (1951)

Omnibus picture, 1930's

Hi

Thanks

Kim

The Station Hotel is still open but only at weekends.It is now one long room with a dance floor at the back of Tykes. It is open Fridays and Saturdays until 2 pm.Most of the pubs in this area are now owned by one man (name unknown by me) who used to be a butcher.

The Station Hotel is still open but only at weekends.It is now one long room with a dance floor at the back of Tykes. It is open Fridays and Saturdays until 2 pm.Most of the pubs in this area are now owned by one man (name unknown by me) who used to be a butcher.

Thank you for the update; my information was from my last visit there in 1984 !

From 'Sheffield Public Houses' by M Liversidge

'Station Hotel.

Built 1833 - it was a Wards House. It is long and narrow and is supposed to have been 3 cottages transformed into one. It was well known around Attercliffe that the Station had a ghost, supposedly an occupier of one of the cottages. The ghost now (according to locals) tips gasses upside down, spills drinks and heavy footfalls can be heard coming from the upper floor.

The public house is made up of two rooms, one very small having about four tables with a small serving bar area and the door leading onto Attercliffe Road. The other room is quite long and it was in this room that turns or acts would perform on a Friday or Saturday night in the 1960s and 1970s whilst Attercliffe was still a thriving area. The pub once had a pub sign saying Station Inn and Station Hotel as it main wall painted name, very strange.

The beer house was licensed before victoria came to the throne in 1833, but it took it another 140 years to get its spirit license.

From 'Sheffield Public Houses' by M Liversidge

Omnibus.

The public house adorned with large cream tiles was situated on the corner of Attercliffe Road and Worsop Road. Horsedrawn omnibuses appeared in the first quareter of the 19th Century, followed by motoised versions. These vehicles inspired many a pub name and sign. The word Omnibus is an excellent name for a public house for the Latin means 'for all'

Guest Goosetree

Hi All

Thanks for the responses. My information is purely family folklore, however i have a map Old Ordnance survey maps Attercliffe 1903 which lists The residents of Attercliffe Rd and at

732 Day William Henry, beerhouse

766 Fellows Frederick, beerhouse - the Gosling connection to the Omnibus could well have been much later - even the 1940's

Finding information is proving difficult

Regards

Kim