Can anybody tell me...?

Bayleaf

I came across this recently.

Can anybody tell me :

What a Shumac Skiver was?

A Roan?

A Strain?

And where was Twelve O'Clock, Sheffield?

Can anybody tell me :

A Roan?

A Strain?

Try sumac instead ...

Can anybody tell me :

A Roan?

A Strain?

I assume that Twelve o'clock was the area around the twelve o'clock pub on the corner of Saville St and Attercliffe Road.

See MAP 92

This building in on the site today

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=c02095

Schumac (Sumac) Skiver

Skiver

Skiv'er noun [ Confer Skewer , Shiver a fragment.] 1. An inferior quality of leather, made of split sheepskin, tanned by immersion in sumac, and dyed. It is used for hat linings, pocketbooks, bookbinding, etc. 2. The cutting tool or machine used in splitting leather or skins, as sheepskins.

Roan

Sheepskin leather

Guest 30_degrees

Schumac (Sumac) Skiver

Skiver

Skiv'er noun [ Confer Skewer , Shiver a fragment.] 1. An inferior quality of leather, made of split sheepskin, tanned by immersion in sumac, and dyed. It is used for hat linings, pocketbooks, bookbinding, etc. 2. The cutting tool or machine used in splitting leather or skins, as sheepskins.

Roan

Sheepskin leather

Skiver a leather top, was a hide inlay for desks, occasional tables, writing slopes etc.

Sumac you see in a lot of gardens in the form of Staghorn Sumac and...The leaves of certain sumacs yield tannin (mostly pyrogallol), a substance used in vegetable tanning. Leather tanned with sumac is flexible, light in weight, and light in color, even bordering on being white. Source

White Aprons and Strains may refer to metal smithing wear other than "Black Smithing" .....A Whitesmith works with light coloured metals such as tin and pewter and usually cold (Unlike the Blacksmith who works with HOT metals to forge) I think the name is also given to light metal polishers

Source

Roan as per Vox with the addition... See also DRESSED SHEEPSKIN, ROAN.

Sources: Acts, Houghton, Inventories (early), Inventories (mid-period), Inventories (late), Rates.

Source...http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=58869 Interesting site this maybe a link?

From: 'Sheep - Sheppick', Dictionary of Traded Goods and Commodities, 1550-1820 (2007). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=58869 Date accessed: 22 January 2010.

Plaster skins The only reference I can find is for....PLASTERS (PLAISTERS)

The work of the pharmacist was mainly involved in the spreading of commercially manufactured

plaster mass on suitable material. The practice continued until about 1950.

Plaster mass consisted of the medicinal ingredient(s) incorporated into resin, wool fat or beeswax.

It was a semi-solid preparation that had to be heated to make it spreadable. Over-heating might

destroy the efficacy of the ingredients, so gentle heating was usually achieved in a dish over a

water-bath. At the same time a plaster iron was warmed over a flame.

A shape for the plaster was selected and a stencil cut in stiff paper. Standard sizes were

recommended but this could be varied.

The material used to apply the plaster which might be, for example leather, white sheepskin or

chamois leather, was stretched tightly on a flat board. The stencil was wetted to afford sufficient

adhesion of the stencil to the material and applied.

Source

Can anybody tell me :

Something to do with curing and cutting fine leather in the manufacture of footwear??

Take a look at this link

Shumac Skiver