Auley Meadows

RichardB

Auley Meadows

Well, that's what it was, what is it now please ?

The name dates back to the 17th century,

I won't spoil it and post the answer now.

The name dates back to the 17th century,

I won't spoil it and post the answer now.

Go on, spoil it: we've been waiting for two and a half years

( I think I know the answer)

Go on, spoil it: we've been waiting for two and a half years

( I think I know the answer)

That makes three of us (or is it four?) Who's going to blink first? :blink:

Harrison's Survey of Sheffield (1637)

Margaret Revell pt. Auley Meadows

Thomas Revell pt Auley Meadows

Edward Ibbottson pt Auley Meadows

Auley Meadows

Well, that's what it was, what is it now please ?

Somebody better answer at some point, cuz I'm blowed if I can remember the answer ! he he

That makes three of us (or is it four?) Who's going to blink first? :blink:

A branch of my family used to live at Auley Meadows. A very bleak place.

In my early cycling days I also breathed a sigh of relief when I got there. It was downhill from then on whether you were coming or going.

HD

Thank you for putting us out of our misery Richard lol

I hadn't forgotten at all, I have perfect recall if everything I ever knew ... possibly.

Surely its got to be Hollow Meadows?

My previous post on Hollow Meadows:-

I have fond memories of Hollow Meadows, not that I was ever a patient there but my best mate used to live at Crawshaw Head House, a big old stone house on the road that runs parallel with Manchester Road on the high side. His parents used to rent it for one pound a week, I spent many nights there in the late 1960's. Crawshaw Head overlooked Hollow Meadows Hospital, it was very spooky at times to see the lights of the hospital burning late at night out on the moors. We would ride our motorbikes past the hospital on our way to the Norfolk Arms and there was an old man who used to wave at us as we went past. It was very sad because it was used as a mental hospital then, or a looney bin as we used to call it.

So, my question now is, do we know the origin of the name Auley Meadows? Also, is Crawshaw Head house still there? ( . . . he says, attempting to find it on Google Earth)

My previous post on Hollow Meadows:-

I have fond memories of Hollow Meadows, not that I was ever a patient there but my best mate used to live at Crawshaw Head House, a big old stone house on the road that runs parallel with Manchester Road on the high side. His parents used to rent it for one pound a week, I spent many nights there in the late 1960's. Crawshaw Head overlooked Hollow Meadows Hospital, it was very spooky at times to see the lights of the hospital burning late at night out on the moors. We would ride our motorbikes past the hospital on our way to the Norfolk Arms and there was an old man who used to wave at us as we went past. It was very sad because it was used as a mental hospital then, or a looney bin as we used to call it.

So, my question now is, do we know the origin of the name Auley Meadows? Also, is Crawshaw Head house still there? ( . . . he says, attempting to find it on Google Earth)

Assuming my Ordnance Survey maps are correct, this is Crawshaw Head House:

(waits to be proved wrong later in the day)

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=sheffield&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=17.235515,33.881836&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.381129,-1.470085&amp;spn=0.001065,0.002068&amp;t=m&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.391235,-1.624287&amp;panoid=RLgME30lHeRLiiNlL7wmww&amp;cbp=13,322.73,,0,-4.3&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=sheffield&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=17.235515,33.881836&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.381129,-1.470085&amp;spn=0.001065,0.002068&amp;t=m&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.391235,-1.624287&amp;panoid=RLgME30lHeRLiiNlL7wmww&amp;cbp=13,322.73,,0,-4.3" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

So, my question now is, do we know the origin of the name Auley Meadows?

According to David Hey, it probably gets its name as a variation of Hawley, the name of a local family.

Thanks Madannie, thats it, it hasn't changed much at all, it's a beautiful sight for me and quite emotional to see it again after 40 years. I had so many memorable times there. My friend who lived there emigrated about 1970 and sponsored us when we emigrated. His Mum and dad followed soon after, also his brother and his friend from work. We were like a little colony of Sheffielders living in Sydney and we are still the best of friends.

I think I posted this pic before, its taken outside Crawshaw Head House, you can just see the castellated wall in the top RH corner.