Wilson Road Synagogue

Guest lorischlomo

Guest lorischlomo

I found Wilson Road Synagogue on Google Street View and noticed that it is a church now. Does anybody know what happened to the jewish community that prayed there? My dad slept in the Synagogue after the Sheffield Blitz in 1940 as a young refugee from Germany. Now I 'd like to know more about this building, this community, its history ... maybe somebody remembers the group of young boys that slept in the synagogue in Decmber 1940?

Lorenz

Guest galena

I found Wilson Road Synagogue on Google Street View and noticed that it is a church now. Does anybody know what happened to the jewish community that prayed there? My dad slept in the Synagogue after the Sheffield Blitz in 1940 as a young refugee from Germany. Now I 'd like to know more about this building, this community, its history ... maybe somebody remembers the group of young boys that slept in the synagogue in Decmber 1940?

Lorenz

Hi Lorenz

You might be interested in these two books:

' The Golden Years of Sheffield Jewry - a communal diary 1901-1945 and

'Sheffield Jewry: Commentary on a community by Krauz Armin

Although I borrowed them throught the inter-library loan service I think I first found the details in the Shefield Library online catalogue.

Hope this is helpful

Galena

Hi Lorenz

You might be interested in these two books:

' The Golden Years of Sheffield Jewry - a communal diary 1901-1945 and

'Sheffield Jewry: Commentary on a community by Krauz Armin

Although I borrowed them throught the inter-library loan service I think I first found the details in the Shefield Library online catalogue.

Hope this is helpful

Galena

Hi Galena

I noticed one of the books you mention is up for auction on ebay.

'Sheffield Jewry: Commentary on a community by Krauz Armin'

A link .. here

Guest galena

Hi Galena

I noticed one of the books you mention is up for auction on ebay.

'Sheffield Jewry: Commentary on a community by Krauz Armin'

A link .. here

Thanks Steve. The book is very useful for anyone researching specific Jews in Sheffield as many are mentioned by name together with their contribution to the Jewish society in the City.

Galena