Kindertransport

Guest lorischlomo

Guest lorischlomo

Hello Sheffielders, :unsure:

I live in Germany and my dad Kurt Beckhardt was a jewish child that was sent to England in 1939 to escape from Nazi terror. He first stayed in a camp near Claydon (Suffolk) and was brought to Sheffield in June 1940 together with about 15 boys. They lived in a hostel in 7 Priory Place until they they were bombed during the Sheffield Blitz on December 12th. Then they moved to a synagogue in Wilson Road where they stayed for a while, finally my dad lived in 392, Glosop Road.

From June 1940 until April 1941 my dad went to school in Pomona Street Elementary School, then he was working in the war industry at Gordon Tools Ltd. in Newcastle street as an apprentice fitter. I hope he helped as a little boy to win the Battle of Britain.

In May 1942 Kurt left Sheffield as he was one of the few lucky children that were reunited with their parents. From that time he lived in London, Golders Green until they remigrated to Germany - do not ask me why as it is a very long story and I am writing a novel on it. For those who are able to read german you might search Wikipedia or Google for Fritz Beckhardt (my grandfather). This might give you an idea of what the background of my dad was.

All I would like to know is if this says something to anybody of you? Have you ever heard about young jewish boys that were saved and lived in your city? I'd love to here more on that.

Love, Lorenz :rolleyes:

Guest lorischlomo

"Kindertransport" (childrens tarnsport) was not an underground organization but an official organization called RCM (Refugees Childrens Movement). I corrected the Wikipedia Page on Fritz Beckhardt.

The RCM had its seat in Bloomsbury House in London and before the action to get 10.000 children out of Germany in Devember 1938 began there was an official debate on it in the House of Commons.

My dad Kurt Beckhardt was one of these 10.000 children and stayed in Sheffield until the war and more was over ...

In Google Street View I found the synagogue in Wilson road where my dad stayed after the Blitz. Now it seems to be a church. Can that be? Do you know why?

Lorenz

Although the extract doesn't mention Sheffield, I know that Susanne Pearson was a teacher for many years in this city. Her escape on the Kindertransport was sponsored by the Woodcraft Folk in Sheffield (I think she was not the only one). Some years ago we went to a talk she gave in the Millennium Gallery about her experience.

Hugh

Guest lorischlomo

I can give you some additional Information that might be helpful.

Kurt Beckhardt moved to a hostel at (386 or 392) Glossop Road that was managed by a familiy called Roberton. Mr. Roberton was the son of Sir Hugh Roberton, a conductor from Glasgow and a radical pacifist, member of the Peace Pledge Union. Mr. Roberton was a conscientious objector during WW2.

Does anybody know this place or these people? Or what happened to the Robertons later ...?

From April 1941 until May 1942 Kurt worked at Gordon Tools Ltd., Tool Manufacturers in Newcastle Street, a factory owned by the Wilson and Cantor families.

Does anybody know something about this place?

Thanks, Lorenz

Guest lorischlomo

Although the extract doesn't mention Sheffield, I know that Susanne Pearson was a teacher for many years in this city. Her escape on the Kindertransport was sponsored by the Woodcraft Folk in Sheffield (I think she was not the only one). Some years ago we went to a talk she gave in the Millennium Gallery about her experience.

Hugh

Thank you, Hugh.

But where is Susanne now?

Do you have an idea?

Lorenz

Thank you, Hugh.

But where is Susanne now?

Do you have an idea?

Lorenz

Lorenz,

I have sent you a private message.

Hugh

Guest Dorothy

"Kindertransport" (childrens tarnsport) was not an underground organization but an official organization called RCM (Refugees Childrens Movement). I corrected the Wikipedia Page on Fritz Beckhardt.

The RCM had its seat in Bloomsbury House in London and before the action to get 10.000 children out of Germany in Devember 1938 began there was an official debate on it in the House of Commons.

My dad Kurt Beckhardt was one of these 10.000 children and stayed in Sheffield until the war and more was over ...

In Google Street View I found the synagogue in Wilson road where my dad stayed after the Blitz. Now it seems to be a church. Can that be? Do you know why?

Lorenz

I, too, came on a Kindertransport and now live in Sheffield. You can find out much more about all this via AJR and look for the Re-union of Kindertransport section. Susanne Pearson is my friend and colleague and there are several of us here. I know that some of the KT children stayed in our old Synagogue for some time and it is a church now. We have a beautiful, new and modern, smaller Synagogue, the Kingfield Synagogue and we are a small but active community. AJR Northern Continental Friends holds regular meetings in this area and the AJR Journal updates everyone with news and SEARCHES. Good luck with yours!

Dorothy