Albert Edward Bell - Admiralty Skilled Laborer in WWI

Guest ph0ebus

Guest ph0ebus

Hi all,

I am a new member to this forum and I am in desperate need of your help. I am writing a book about a British merchant ship sunk in the Great War with a focus on those who sailed on her over the course of her 10-year career.

One fellow whose story I am researching right now is that of Sheffield native Albert Edward Bell. He sailed on the Anchor Line's TSS California March 25-April 6, 1916, and recorded his passage on the back of a postcard which read quite cryptically, 'The ship that brought me over, but disguised'. I am trying to learn what I can about Mr. Bell, who at the time of his mysterious transatlantic passage was in the employ of the Admiralty as a 'Admiralty Skilled Labourer'. Also of note was that he sailed with 5 other employees of the Admiralty, and they all had the destination of the British Embassy, Washington DC. Here are his details from Ancestry:

Albert Edward Bell

Birth: 3 Apr 1871 - King Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Death: 18 Mar 1941 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

He married Lillian Blacktin had they had 11 children:

Maurice Colin Bell

Ronald Adolphus Bell

Victor Graham Bell

John Richard Bell (killed 29 Mar 1918 in Belgium - a Private who served with the Durham Light Infantry, 1st/6th Bn.)

Albert Edward Bell

George Ernest Bell

Arthur William Bell

Reginald Bell

Harold Stuart Bell

Lawrence Archibald Bell

Lilian Alberta Bell

I am seeking any information that is available that may help to clarify the nature of his mission on board the California, and would be greatly interested in speaking with any of his descendants. Why was he (or the ship) disguised? Was he perhaps a spy or on some classified mission for the Admiralty?

If anyone knows one of his descendants, I would greatly wish to speak with them. Of course, if you have any questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

-Daniel

This site seems to give details about the reason for the disguise :

http://www.the-weatherings.co.uk/pccship0514.htm

Extract :

On March 12 1917 the British Q-ship HMS Privet avenged the sinking of the T.S.S.California (Anchor Line) and sealed the fate of the crew of the U-85. Posing as an unarmed merchant vessel, the crew of the Privet lured the U-85 to the surface after sustaining heavy damage in an unprovoked attack by the submarine.

Picture :

http://www.sunnyfield.co.uk/dayspast/view_....php?ref=dp0243

Guest ph0ebus

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the prompt reply. The funny thing is, the person you suggested I contact re: the California is...me. I wrote that post on rec.scuba.uk back in 2006. :) However, I do see a responder named Bell in the replies to my original post...is that who you were suggesting I speak to?

As an aside, though the Admiralty says the Privet sunk the U-85, the physical evidence says otherwise. There is no sunken u-boat at the coordinates provided by the Admiralty. There are scads of people trying to solve this mystery as we speak (myself included).

Take care,

-Daniel

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the prompt reply. The funny thing is, the person you suggested I contact re: the California is...me. I wrote that post on rec.scuba.uk back in 2006. :) However, I do see a responder named Bell in the replies to my original post...is that who you were suggesting I speak to?

As an aside, though the Admiralty says the Privet sunk the U-85, the physical evidence says otherwise. There is no sunken u-boat at the coordinates provided by the Admiralty. There are scads of people trying to solve this mystery as we speak (myself included).

Take care,

-Daniel

I noticed it was you, the name gave it away; I was just having a jest suggesting you contacted yourself; shows I looked though.

Good Luck and keep us posted please.

Guest ph0ebus

I noticed it was you, the name gave it away; I was just having a jest suggesting you contacted yourself; shows I looked though.

Good Luck and keep us posted please.

Hi Richard, all...

I have Albert's burial info now (he is buried in Crookes Cemetery, Sheffield):

BELL - ALBERT EDWARD aged 69, Retired, interred on March 22nd 1941.

From 105 Tadcaster Road, Sheffield.

Burial number 9166.

Grave 2950, Section DD ( Cons )

I am working on getting a picture of his head stone.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Guest galena

Hi Richard, all...

I have Albert's burial info now (he is buried in Crookes Cemetery, Sheffield):

BELL - ALBERT EDWARD aged 69, Retired, interred on March 22nd 1941.

From 105 Tadcaster Road, Sheffield.

Burial number 9166.

Grave 2950, Section DD ( Cons )

I am working on getting a picture of his head stone.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Dear Ph0ebus

Only a very tenuous link here but on my great uncle's death certificate of 1963 his occupation is given as an Admiralty Gauge Inspector (retired ) since he was 85 when he died. Have you come across this occupation in your research since as far as I know he certainly seems to have worked somewhere in Sheffield, certainly since the 1930s as he is recorded in the Electoral Registers?

Any polite suggestions welcome!

Galena

Guest Trefcon

Galena,

that story has turned into a huge thread on the GWF, load of info and stuff, i think i might have posted a bit mi' sen!

Dean.

Hi Daniel,

I am the grandson of Albert Edward Bell. My father was William Arthur Bell of Tadcaster Road. I live in London Ontario Canada. I have a picture of my Grandfather which I am willing to share. You can contact me directly at billbell1936@hotmail.com

Sorry about the germanic name used. All the William bell's were used up.

Any of the Bell family with the same Grandparents as myself (Albert Edward Bell and Lillian (Blacktin) Bell are invited to contact me. My e-mail address is billbell1936@hotmail.com

Dear Ph0ebus

Only a very tenuous link here but on my great uncle's death certificate of 1963 his occupation is given as an Admiralty Gauge Inspector (retired ) since he was 85 when he died. Have you come across this occupation in your research since as far as I know he certainly seems to have worked somewhere in Sheffield, certainly since the 1930s as he is recorded in the Electoral Registers?

Any polite suggestions welcome!

Galena

Hi Galena,

My sincerest apologies for the long interval between your post and my reply...I have been wholly sidetracked with my own family research and have not been back to this site in quite a while. As mentioned below, he listed his profession on a few manifests when traveling overseas as a Shell Inspector. I do not have my notes immediately available but if you read the thread 'Transatlantic Spies' on the Great War Forum you will get a veritible avalanche of information about Albert and family.

I did get the cemetery picturtes and would be happy to share them (as well as any other documents I have) if you are interested; if so please let me know.

Take care,

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I am the grandson of Albert Edward Bell. My father was William Arthur Bell of Tadcaster Road. I live in London Ontario Canada. I have a picture of my Grandfather which I am willing to share. You can contact me directly at billbell1936@hotmail.com

Sorry about the germanic name used. All the William bell's were used up.

Hi Wilhelm,

I would love a copy of the photograph...I will send you an email imminently.

Your name is great...as the grandson of an Unteroffizier in the Prussian Field Artillery in the First World War, I have no complaints! :)

-Daniel

Guest Wilhelm

Hi Dan - just for any other descendants of Albert Edward Bell - I offer the following information and a slight correction.

Albert's son 'Arthur' is my father. My father was always known by his middle name which was Arthur, so his correct name is William Arthur Bell. His date of birth was September 18th. I don't know the year but when he died on January 20, 1964 he was about 65 years old which would make his birth year as 1899

My father served in the Royal Flying Corps and I have an old photo album dated 1919 which shows pictures of him serving with the 72 Squadron RFC in Mesopotamia. I also have a Book award that my father received on July 31, 1907 for Good Attendance. His name is correctly listed as William Arthur bell and the school was Meersbrook Bank School in Sheffield.