Hard Times

Chris1943

I had a nasty shock when I used the 1911 census to find my mother's family. I found them easily enough, on parish releief living on Parkwood Road. I was unaware of this and it was never spoken of in the family, though her older brother and sister must have been aware of it, and I can only assume they were ashamed to admit it. There was a stigma in those days.

THis census tells you how many children the couple had had, and how many living. My father's mother and dad had 9 of whom they only reared 3.

We might grumble, and most of us do, but compared to the lives of our grandparents we are very lucky, yet all I ever heard my grandparents say was how happy they had been. I suppose living in Sheffield with all your relations round you had a benefit, and I can remember it being like that, and to be honest, I preferred it that way.

I had a nasty shock when I used the 1911 census to find my mother's family. I found them easily enough, on parish releief living on Parkwood Road. I was unaware of this and it was never spoken of in the family, though her older brother and sister must have been aware of it, and I can only assume they were ashamed to admit it. There was a stigma in those days.

THis census tells you how many children the couple had had, and how many living. My father's mother and dad had 9 of whom they only reared 3.

We might grumble, and most of us do, but compared to the lives of our grandparents we are very lucky, yet all I ever heard my grandparents say was how happy they had been. I suppose living in Sheffield with all your relations round you had a benefit, and I can remember it being like that, and to be honest, I preferred it that way.

Hi Chris, Often we don't realise how many children died very young. My gt grandma died in 1871 aged only 36 but on her gravestone it said that of her children 6 died in infancy. To date I have only traced 3 of them.

I agree with you about the old days. My grandma's were both very happy ladies seemingly without a care in the world. When I was a child in the 40's & 50's most people seemed happy despite having little money. Life was simple - no tv - people talked and listened to the radio. Churches were the centre of the social scene as well as of religion. People looked after their neighbours, swept their pavements etc.

What a lot we can learn from them today !!!!

John