George William Fletcher, RE in WW1

Hi again folks,

I'm now looking for any information on a distant cousin of mine, George William Fletcher. This is what I know of his war service so far:

George was a sapper (equivalent of army private) with 1st (East Riding) Field Company, later renamed 529th Field Company, Royal Engineers. His service numbers were T1126 and 474642. The company was attached to British 3rd Division from September 1915.

During George W. Fletcher's period of service, 529th Field Company participated in the following actions:

1 - 13 July 1916: Battle of Albert.

14 - 17 July 1916: Bazentin.

15 July - 3 September 1916: Delville Wood.

13 - 18 November 1916: Ancre.

9 - 14 April 1917: 1st Scarpe.

23 - 24 April 1917: 2nd Scarpe.

28 - 29 April 1917: Arleux.

3 - 4 May 1917: 3rd Scarpe.

On 14 June 1917, 529th Field Company was involved in a surprise attack on Infantry Hill, east of Monchy-Le-Preux. The attack was successful and 175 prisoners were taken, but the inevitable counter-attacks came in and the company lost half its strength. It seems that George was killed in the initial assault.

George has no known grave; his name is listed on Bay 1 of the Arras Memorial to the missing.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've looked through the posts about Sheffield servicemen, but I don't see him listed. I'm hoping to find a photo, but any info would be great.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Beery,

i have files on about half a dozen 'Fletchers' but no George William i'm afraid. What i do have is a G.W. Fletcher on the Heeley Christ Church Roll of Honour. Did he have Heeley connections?

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Here with his MIC, which i assume you have. He would have to be in the RE, along with the Labour corps probably the hardest units to research!

In the 'remarks' section you'll notice that his medals were returned. It could mean they were undeliverable, for what ever reason, as only officers had to apply for their medals, or the family sent them back because of an error in the inscription around the rim.

Dean.

Hi Dean, thanks for your responses.

In answer to your first question, he was born in Heeley and lived there until he joined up. So I guess that must be him on the Christ Church memorial.

Strange that his medals were returned. He had a big family and his mother was still alive in 1917, so I don't know why that would be.

A pity the RE is so difficult to research.