Eggleston and Fenton Families in Attercliffe

Guest middy

Guest middy

Many of my family members appeared to have lived in Attercliffe and i wanted to try and find records of their lives.The main families were EGGLESTON(E) and FENTON and they lived on a variety of streets including :Sorby street, Gower Street, BerkleyStreet,Surbiton street, Bee Street,Coleridge Road and Slovin Road.I want to try and trace their births,marriages and deaths and wanted to know which Churches and cemeteries would have been used and what records there may be for them from the mid 1800's onwards.Hope someone can give me some direction.

Guest middy

Hi Middy, Can you provide a bit more info.? ie:around what dates and a specific person's name?

Hi Huthwaite,

I have 2 families, one of which are William and Elizabeth Fenton who lived on Surbiton Street and who were both buried in ''Attercliffe Municipal '' in 1889 and 1898 respectively and i have the plot number B1773.Would this be the cemetery of Christ Church or is there another ''municipal'' cemetery.

Also i have Thomas and Elizabeth Eggleston who were in their seventies in 1901 and living on Slovin Road. Would they likely be buried in the Municipal Cemetery.

I am also seeking the Christening of Dora Eggleston in 1890/1891 whose parents Fred and Martha lived on Bee Street

Hope you can help

Middy

Hi Huthwaite,

I have 2 families, one of which are William and Elizabeth Fenton who lived on Surbiton Street and who were both buried in ''Attercliffe Municipal '' in 1889 and 1898 respectively and i have the plot number B1773.Would this be the cemetery of Christ Church or is there another ''municipal'' cemetery.

hello Middy,

There are in fact two wives of William FENTON buried in that grave, which is in the non-consecrated part of the municipal cemetery (so they were probably non-conformists).

This is the earlier burial:

FENTON Mary Ann

buried: 15 Jan 1875

description: wife of William

address: 11 Surbiton Street

grave: B1773nc [nc=non-consecrated]

Municipal Cemeteries and Church Graveyard/Cemeteries are two different kettles of fish. In the case of Attercliffe the municipal cemetery is right next to the churchyard and burials were often recorded in the registers of both (funeral in the church, burial in the municipal cemetery). This is not the case with the FENTONs.

The EGGLESTONEs are buried at Tinsley Park:

EGGLESTON Eliza W 17 Dec 1931 86 widow 32 Girton Road Sheffield LA39gp

EGGLESTONE William 13 Jun 1929 81 retired 9 Windmill Terrace Don Rd Sheffield LA39gp

EGGLESTON Elizabeth 19 Dec 1903 75 wife of Thomas 106 Stovin Rd Attercliffe LA39nc

EGGLESTONE Thomas 1 Apr 1908 83 miner 82 Stovin Rd Darnall LA39nc

[gp=general portion, which is equivalent to nc]

There is another EGGLESTONE grave there:

EGGLESTON Florence Elizabeth 14 May 1965 82 widow Manor Park Centre / Lodge Moor Sheffield WA17gp

EGGLESTON Herbert 16 Dec 1950 65 engineer 323 Hall Rd Sheffield WA17gp

EGGLESTON John Thomas 14 Mar 1942 85 controll clerk 323 Hall Rd Sheffield WA17gp

EGGLESTON Ronald James 4 Mar 1926 7 son of Herbert 137 Nidd Rd Sheffield WA17gp

Hugh

Guest middy

hello Middy,

There are in fact two wives of William FENTON buried in that grave, which is in the non-consecrated part of the municipal cemetery (so they were probably non-conformists).

This is the earlier burial:

FENTON Mary Ann

buried: 15 Jan 1875

description: wife of William

address: 11 Surbiton Street

grave: B1773nc [nc=non-consecrated]

Municipal Cemeteries and Church Graveyard/Cemeteries are two different kettles of fish. In the case of Attercliffe the municipal cemetery is right next to the churchyard and burials were often recorded in the registers of both (funeral in the church, burial in the municipal cemetery). This is not the case with the FENTONs.

The EGGLESTONEs are buried at Tinsley Park:

EGGLESTON Eliza W 17 Dec 1931 86 widow 32 Girton Road Sheffield LA39gp

EGGLESTONE William 13 Jun 1929 81 retired 9 Windmill Terrace Don Rd Sheffield LA39gp

EGGLESTON Elizabeth 19 Dec 1903 75 wife of Thomas 106 Stovin Rd Attercliffe LA39nc

EGGLESTONE Thomas 1 Apr 1908 83 miner 82 Stovin Rd Darnall LA39nc

[gp=general portion, which is equivalent to nc]

There is another EGGLESTONE grave there:

EGGLESTON Florence Elizabeth 14 May 1965 82 widow Manor Park Centre / Lodge Moor Sheffield WA17gp

EGGLESTON Herbert 16 Dec 1950 65 engineer 323 Hall Rd Sheffield WA17gp

EGGLESTON John Thomas 14 Mar 1942 85 controll clerk 323 Hall Rd Sheffield WA17gp

EGGLESTON Ronald James 4 Mar 1926 7 son of Herbert 137 Nidd Rd Sheffield WA17gp

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Many thanks for the information, it is most helpful.

Can i check with you on the following:

Is it Christ Church that the municipal cemetery is next to ?

When you say that it is not the case with the Fentons do you mean there was no funeral at the church because they were NC?

Does being NC and GP mean there are unlikely to be headstones?

Are both cemeteries at Attecliffe and Tinsley still there to you knowledges?

Regards,

Middy

Hi Hugh,

Many thanks for the information, it is most helpful.

Can i check with you on the following:

Is it Christ Church that the municipal cemetery is next to ?

When you say that it is not the case with the Fentons do you mean there was no funeral at the church because they were NC?

Does being NC and GP mean there are unlikely to be headstones?

Are both cemeteries at Attecliffe and Tinsley still there to you knowledges?

Regards,

Middy

Hi Middy, Apologies for the late reply, I am back in greece and have limited internet access, being non-conformist means that they would probably have had the funeral service at a chapel (methodist)?? relatively close by but internment in the general cemetery non conformists had regular graves with monuments it money allowed. tinsley and attercliffe cems are both still extant.

Best Wishes

Huthwaite

Yes, the municipal cemetery is next to the churchyard of Christ Church.

I can't say where the funerals took place, only that they are not in the burial records of Christ Church, and they were buried in unconsecrated ground.

Tinsley Park is still fully operational. Attercliffe still exists but is no longer used for burial.

If you post a query in the message forum at Sheffield Indexers (no subscription necessary) Tony, who has done a photographic survey of Attercliffe Municipal, should be able to tell you if there is a gravestone on that grave.

Hugh