Manor Lodge

Stuart0742

Any photo's of the gun emplacement please ?

Dean.

Now had I known when I went down there that there was a gun emplacement I would have happily provided a photo of it.

I will try and get one next time I am down there but it sounds as though they have already started to remove it from mick851's comments in post#19 :(

Now had I known when I went down there that there was a gun emplacement I would have happily provided a photo of it.

I will try and get one next time I am down there but it sounds as though they have already started to remove it from mick851's comments in post#19 :(

DaveH

if you go on google virtual earth, you will see the gun emplacement ie the circular mound on top of the hill where the gun was ( it casts a nice shadow over the area, so you can make out the earth works ) , plus the two platforms ( the last time i looked it was the bottom platform which had been partly dug out ) I forgot to say as you go a little further down manor lane on your left just before the houses, there is another set of platforms dug into the hillside ( facing the field ) and on top of that hill was another gun site, the top was levelled off years ago. I was told it was the 29th AA royal garrison artillery who was there on manor lane , but by 1917 they had moved the guns to scotland

mick

DaveH

if you go on google virtual earth, you will see the gun emplacement ie the circular mound on top of the hill where the gun was ( it casts a nice shadow over the area, so you can make out the earth works ) , plus the two platforms ( the last time i looked it was the bottom platform which had been partly dug out ) I forgot to say as you go a little further down manor lane on your left just before the houses, there is another set of platforms dug into the hillside ( facing the field ) and on top of that hill was another gun site, the top was levelled off years ago. I was told it was the 29th AA royal garrison artillery who was there on manor lane , but by 1917 they had moved the guns to scotland

mick

this is the only pic i have , its of the house, but i was stood on one of the platforms of the gun emplacement, the bush in the middle of the pic, that area has now been dug away :angry::angry::angry:

mick

this is the only pic i have , its of the house, but i was stood on one of the platforms of the gun emplacement, the bush in the middle of the pic, that area has now been dug away :angry::angry::angry:

mick

Looks like just the sort of picture deansgirl is looking for.

Looks like just the sort of picture deans girl is looking for.

another pic of the ww1 anti aircraft gun emplacement on manor lane, i managed to get down to manor cottage farm today, took quite a few pics of the old place where i used to live

green estate have dug out the bottom part of the banking for their compost heap, how much more damage is this site going to get??? :angry::angry::angry::angry:

mick

Interesting read,

The bible is the one found by my great grandfather, Charles Edward Lee. I have related this story somewhere on Sheffield History (link fairy!) along with pictures of the bible emailed to me from "the lady in Australia"

The key to the Manor Lodge which was presented to a councillor was most likely (but not 100% sure) Sydney Dyson as at one time he used to live on either Manor Lane or Dovercourt Road (No, not in Dyson House in town, that came later.

There is a story that Alderman Dyson was once involved in an incident with a car while he was crossing City Road at the zebra crossing near the bottom of Manor Lane / Dovercourt Road. For ages after this particular crossing was known locally as "Dyson's Crossing"

Interesting read,

The bible is the one found by my great grandfather, Charles Edward Lee. I have related this story somewhere on Sheffield History (link fairy!) along with pictures of the bible emailed to me from "the lady in Australia"

Try post number 2 and 4 in this Topic Dave.

Try post number 2 and 4 in this Topic Dave.

I knew I had posted it somewhere Steve

But I just wanted to give our new "Link Fairy" a quick try out. lol

Organised by "Friends Of Manor Lodge"

Family Fun Day

Sunday 7th August

Thanks vox,

I would like to go to that but unfortunately we are going on holiday that weekend and won't be in the country :(

Don't things always seem to work out like that! :angry:

Organised by "Friends Of Manor Lodge"

Family Fun Day

Sunday 7th August

Is that guy at the back right hand side of that group pictured on the poster (actually the only bloke in the picture by the look of it) History Dude?

He's a friend of Manor Lodge.

Is that guy at the back right hand side of that group pictured on the poster (actually the only bloke in the picture by the look of it) History Dude?

He's a friend of Manor Lodge.

I was a friend at one time, actually the Chairperson, but left around 1997 when the Manor & Castle Development trust wanted to use New Deal workers on their projects, the Manor being one. I couldn't agree with them on that subject, Government funding is like a two edge sword, always very good at splitting a group up.

The chap you can see is David Templemen, who I know well. I believe he's the current chairperson of the Friends Group, though I haven't spoken to him for a while.

I was a friend at one time, actually the Chairperson, but left around 1997 when the Manor & Castle Development trust wanted to use New Deal workers on their projects, the Manor being one. I couldn't agree with them on that subject, Government funding is like a two edge sword, always very good at splitting a group up.

The chap you can see is David Templemen, who I know well. I believe he's the current chairperson of the Friends Group, though I haven't spoken to him for a while.

Sorry History Dude,

I had assumed from your posted on the Manor that you were still involved with them. I didn't realise you had not worked there for a few years.