Manor Lodge

Stuart0742

See link to today's Star

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Queen-Mary39...back.5141922.jp

3D reconstruction of Manor Lodge

...and as it was in December 1974 from my collection of pictures of Sheffield taken at this time.

Taken from the top of Manor Lane this is the view many visitors would still get today.

Interestingly that very prominent turret is clear in the 3D reconstruction and the 3D view as shown on The Star website is from a very similar viewpoint and shows the building much more complete with all the missing bits put back.

Many years ago my great grandmother (she died in 1965) lived at the top of Manor Lane and this was almost the view from her house front window before she moved in with my grandparents when her health started to fail in 1961.

There is also a story of an old bible, believed to be 16th century, found on the site by my great grandfather Charles Edward Lee which has also appeared as a story, I think, also in The Star.

...and as it was in December 1974 from my collection of pictures of Sheffield taken at this time.

Taken from the top of Manor Lane this is the view many visitors would still get today.

Interestingly that very prominent turret is clear in the 3D reconstruction and the 3D view as shown on The Star website is from a very similar viewpoint and shows the building much more complete with all the missing bits put back.

Many years ago my great grandmother (she died in 1965) lived at the top of Manor Lane and this was almost the view from her house front window before she moved in with my grandparents when her health started to fail in 1961.

There is also a story of an old bible, believed to be 16th century, found on the site by my great grandfather Charles Edward Lee which has also appeared as a story, I think, also in The Star.

Another picture of the old lodge, this one from 1981

This bit of wall was featured on the BBC2 programme "Restoration" a few years ago with Griff-Rhys Jones enthusing about it and a computerised animation of the reconstruction of the entire lodge.

Needless to say, "The Manor Lodge, Sheffield" didn't win the restoration vote contest and so didn't receive money from the lottery fund towards its restoration.

A couple of views of the old ruins as they are today.

Not much different from my 1974 and 1982 views, so similar it hardly seems worthwhile doing a "then & now", - but you never know.

A couple of views of the old ruins as they are today.

Not much different from my 1974 and 1982 views, so similar it hardly seems worthwhile doing a "then & now", - but you never know.

Great pictures, Thank you.

Great pictures, Thank you.

Although Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned at Manor Lodge for many years she was finally executed at Fotheringay Castle down south.

Would you believe it, Fotheringay is in a worse state than Manor Lodge, just a heap of earth labelled "Fotheringay Castle (site of)" so that is way beyond restoration.

I think it was one of those castles that Oliver Cromwell finally had destroyed after the Civil war, hence its poor state.

Still think that Manor lodge should have got something towards its restoration though.

This bit of wall was featured on the BBC2 programme "Restoration" a few years ago with Griff-Rhys Jones enthusing about it and a computerised animation of the reconstruction of the entire lodge.

Needless to say, "The Manor Lodge, Sheffield" didn't win the restoration vote contest and so didn't receive money from the lottery fund towards its restoration.

Maybe it's not too late. I read this week that the conservatory at Wentworth that also lost out looks like getting funding at last, so perhaps there's hope yet.

Maybe it's not too late. I read this week that the conservatory at Wentworth that also lost out looks like getting funding at last, so perhaps there's hope yet.

I hope so Bayleaf.

There is a "Friends of Manor Lodge" group and a new educational discovery centre on the site now so there's still a chance but like all restoration its going to take lots and lots of money to do anything.

Back in 1974 I took these 2 views of the City from the land behind Manor Lodge.

Recently I had the opportunity to take this panorama from the same viewpoint.

It covers a much wider panoramic angle (over 180 degrees)

The matching bit is roughly in the middle of the panorama.

Back in 1974 I took these 2 views of the City from the land behind Manor Lodge.

Recently I had the opportunity to take this panorama from the same viewpoint.

It covers a much wider panoramic angle (over 180 degrees)

The matching bit is roughly in the middle of the panorama.

DaveH

That view brings back memorys!!!!!, hyde park flats, pye bank flats to the right. and you was stood in between manor oaks farm ( to your left ) and manor cottage farm ( to your right ) when you took those pictures, the small hill in the top left of the field was an old dis used pit, and the big tree to your right with the nest in was in the back garden of 449 manor cottage farm, i was 1 year old then, i was living at manor cottage farm then when you took those pics, i left there in 1993, that farm house had been in my family since around the 1880's

Mick

DaveH

That view brings back memorys!!!!!, hyde park flats, pye bank flats to the right. and you was stood in between manor oaks farm ( to your left ) and manor cottage farm ( to your right ) when you took those pictures, the small hill in the top left of the field was an old dis used pit, and the big tree to your right with the nest in was in the back garden of 449 manor cottage farm, i was 1 year old then, i was living at manor cottage farm then when you took those pics, i left there in 1993, that farm house had been in my family since around the 1880's

Mick

Not for the first time one of my old pictures that I thought would have little value or interest has really meant something to someone.

I'm glad you like the picture mick, makes it worth my while posting it.

Please feel free to download yourself a personal copy.

DaveH

Good Work Mister ! Thank you.

Now, anyone else with old photos, please post them, we're interested. If you don't know how; please just ask, we're more than willing to provide instructions.

Not for the first time one of my old pictures that I thought would have little value or interest has really meant something to someone.

I'm glad you like the picture mick, makes it worth my while posting it.

Please feel free to download yourself a personal copy.

DaveH

thanks DaveH,

just looking at the panorama, was you standing on the hill over looking manor cottage farm when you took that? looks like it, that hill used to be a ww1 anti aircraft gun emplacement, the circular mound is still there on top of the hill, and going down the hill facing the house are two ledges dug out of the hillside. then running in line with manor lane, there is two square (ish) dug outs with a road surface in between. the gun emplacement was not in use by 1917, but 5 HE bombs landed near it ( one within 50 ft of the gun ) when the zeppelin raid happened over sheffield.

mick

thanks DaveH,

just looking at the panorama, was you standing on the hill over looking manor cottage farm when you took that? looks like it, that hill used to be a ww1 anti aircraft gun emplacement, the circular mound is still there on top of the hill, and going down the hill facing the house are two ledges dug out of the hillside. then running in line with manor lane, there is two square (ish) dug outs with a road surface in between. the gun emplacement was not in use by 1917, but 5 HE bombs landed near it ( one within 50 ft of the gun ) when the zeppelin raid happened over sheffield.

mick

Thats the very spot mick,

Its high position and easy accessibility made it an ideal point to do the panorama from.

That's the very spot mick,

Its high position and easy accessibility made it an ideal point to do the panorama from.

DaveH

green estate now have the lease for manor cottage/ manor oaks farms and manor castle. i went back to have a look at manor cottage farm about 3 months ago. i noticed they have started to dig out the bottom part of the old gun emplacement at the bottom of the hill :angry: i know when we left the farm that was a complete ww1 AA gun emplacement, just annoying now to see the state its in ( how many more first world war AA gun sites still exist intact in sheffield??? ), and the state the old farm house is in, the oldest part is 17th century. there is a connection between manor cottage farm and manor castle, there is supposed to be an old tunnel linking farm to castle. in the bottom kitchen you go through the door in front of you are some stone steps, to your left is a square hole in the floor, goes down about 6ft ( it used to have stone steps going down it ) there is a bricked up door way, some of my family years ago when they were kids used to go down it but apparently about 60 yards in it had collapsed, so they had it bricked up to stop people going down it.

mick

DaveH

green estate now have the lease for manor cottage/ manor oaks farms and manor castle. i went back to have a look at manor cottage farm about 3 months ago. i noticed they have started to dig out the bottom part of the old gun emplacement at the bottom of the hill :angry: i know when we left the farm that was a complete ww1 AA gun emplacement, just annoying now to see the state its in ( how many more first world war AA gun sites still exist intact in sheffield??? ), and the state the old farm house is in, the oldest part is 17th century. there is a connection between manor cottage farm and manor castle, there is supposed to be an old tunnel linking farm to castle. in the bottom kitchen you go through the door in front of you are some stone steps, to your left is a square hole in the floor, goes down about 6ft ( it used to have stone steps going down it ) there is a bricked up door way, some of my family years ago when they were kids used to go down it but apparently about 60 yards in it had collapsed, so they had it bricked up to stop people going down it.

mick

Its a pity that the farm and these gun emplacements cannot be made into listed buildings / monuments like Manor Lodge itself :(

Some brilliant pictures here jimbo55 taken from inside the Manor Lodge grounds :blink:

Have I missed one of their open days or something <_<

no Dave you haven,t , i was passing one day and noticed that one of the gates was open, so as any concerned citizen would, i went inside to check that none of the buildings had been stolen, and i accidentally took 40 or so pictures before i was very kindly shown the coats of arms on the gates on the way out by the site foreman as he showed me the quickest way to "go away"

no Dave you haven,t , i was passing one day and noticed that one of the gates was open, so as any concerned citizen would, i went inside to check that none of the buildings had been stolen, and i accidentally took 40 or so pictures before i was very kindly shown the coats of arms on the gates on the way out by the site foreman as he showed me the quickest way to "go away"

So does that count as "tresspass" then? :rolleyes: