Well, it used to be called ...

RichardB

Was Harvest Lane Apple Street or Orchard Street?

Not according to my source; could be wrong but wouldn't deliberately Leader you on. Think little flowers.

There was an Orchard street off Harvest lane which was renamed to Apple street, possibly to avoid confusion with the new Orchard street in the town centre when Leopold street was built.

I think we will settle for Apple Street; though my source had Daisy Walk !

There were four Orchard Street's at one time or another :blink:

1900 is apparently spot on ...

First one is steep indeed , won't get very far in a car; no exit at the top. Houses only on one side (to the best of my memory). The next Street along is steeper still (THE STEEPEST) ! You're about 100 yards from the back of a (closed) Full Monty building.

Second one less steep, leads onto third one - again no exit. Only one way in and out (via Road number 1). Built as a part of a kind of private estate.

The last two "roads" share a common word, one is a View, one (the last one) isn't a Road, Street, Lane, Avenue - it's just one word (the word common to both).

Looking at my details might help, I was born on the first one, lived on the second one then ended up out the top end of the third one - near a very flat Road indeed.

Hope this helps.

So I recon we're in Upperthorpe.

Steepest Rd round there must be Blake Street.

Next one up from that is Birkendale Rd

I can never quite get where Upperthorpe Rd goes or where it changes name to Upperthorpe, and there isn't an Upperthorpe View as far as I know. Therefore I've got to say Birkendale and Birkendale View, both of which are blank ends (I think) Although I don't quite follow the journey. If there's a pathway through it would come out on Howard Rd.

Nearest full Monty Location to there that I know of would be Burton Street School or Langsett Rd Garage (Now Flats). So I must be completely wrong anyway.

(I've just read a couple of times over what I've just written and even I can't understand what I'm trying to say.)

More Help

So I recon we're in Upperthorpe. Correct

Steepest Rd round there must be Blake Street. Correct

Next one up from that is Birkendale Rd Correct

I can never quite get where Upperthorpe Rd goes or where it changes name to Upperthorpe, and there isn't an Upperthorpe View as far as I know. Therefore I've got to say Birkendale and Birkendale View, both of which are blank ends (I think) Although I don't quite follow the journey. If there's a pathway through it would come out on Howard Rd. Correct

Nearest full Monty Location to there that I know of would be Burton Street School or Langsett Rd Garage (Now Flats). So I must be completely wrong anyway. The Full Monty building is earlier than this, much nearer than Burton Street, the front of the building is on one of the named Streets.

Howard Rd isn't flat but does lead to a flat Street, the only flat one I ever lived on.

(I've just read a couple of times over what I've just written and even I can't understand what I'm trying to say.)

More Help - just solve Full Monty building and the only truely flat Street around, you've got it done.

I think we will settle for Apple Street; though my source had Daisy Walk !

There were four Orchard Street's at one time or another :blink:

Daisy Walk was in a different area to Apple Street. My dad use to live on Apple Street and during my research I spotted

his neighbours were either Derek Dooley and parents or was it Albert Quixall wih his parents when they were babies.

I must dig my paperwork out and have a look which one it was.

So I recon we're in Upperthorpe. Correct

Steepest Rd round there must be Blake Street. Correct

Next one up from that is Birkendale Rd Correct

I can never quite get where Upperthorpe Rd goes or where it changes name to Upperthorpe, and there isn't an Upperthorpe View as far as I know. Therefore I've got to say Birkendale and Birkendale View, both of which are blank ends (I think) Although I don't quite follow the journey. If there's a pathway through it would come out on Howard Rd. Correct

Nearest full Monty Location to there that I know of would be Burton Street School or Langsett Rd Garage (Now Flats). So I must be completely wrong anyway. The Full Monty building is earlier than this, much nearer than Burton Street, the front of the building is on one of the named Streets.

Howard Rd isn't flat but does lead to a flat Street, the only flat one I ever lived on.

More Help - just solve Full Monty building and the only truely flat Street around, you've got it done.

There's also Boyce Street that is flat and a dead end, it's off to the right going up Blake Street.

Is the Blake pub one off the scenes of Monty you're meaning?

I lived at Upperthorpe near the library, Upperthorpe Road starts at the junction of St Philips Rd /Netherthorpe Place

to Addy St /Portland St [as it was]

Upperthorpe from the library ,[top of old Portland St ] Straight up and turn right then first left up to the top

where you come out at Commonside.

From there it's Upperthorpe straight up to Commonside.

There's also Boyce Street that is flat and a dead end, it's off to the right going up Blake Street.

Is the Blake pub one off the scenes of Monty you're meaning?

I lived at Upperthorpe near the library, Upperthorpe Road starts at the junction of St Philips Rd /Netherthorpe Place

to Addy St /Portland St [as it was]

Upperthorpe from the library ,[top of old Portland St ] Straight up and turn right then first left up to the top

where you come out at Commonside.

From there it's Upperthorpe straight up to Commonside.

Blake Pub Correct.

I was thinking of South Road, the flattest place for miles around.

So I wonder if Blake Street is The steepest road in Sheff.

I can't think of anything much steeper.

How would one find out? (If at all)

So I wonder if Blake Street is The steepest road in Sheff.

I can't think of anything much steeper.

How would one find out? (If at all)

Sure SheffieldForum has discussed this at length, Jenkin Road was also mentioned.

Gradients and short bends and lenths of streets also comes into it - what's the one next to where Middlewood Hospital was - Langsett Avenue, a killer gradient if ever there was one.

Blake Pub Correct.

I was thinking of South Road, the flattest place for miles around.

Considering I started with three street names that never made it - I think we did OK here.

Considering I started with three street names that never made it - I think we did OK here.

So can you enlarge on the "why they never made it" part richard? How do you know that they had different names proposed but not used?

A

So can you enlarge on the "why they never made it" part richard? How do you know that they had different names proposed but not used?

A

I can't enlarge on why, other than residents complaining and the current names being adopted; maybe one of the battles (I assume they were all battles) didn't produce good news; didn't stop Wednesday's Kop taking the Spion bit ...

Can't really say how I know the second part without revealing my source, which is not very secret, but we're just trying to prolong the game/provide interesting content ... which is surely the aim of the game.

If you want the source PM me Vox ... it's a well known source, I maybe read 'em a bit deeper and a bit more often than most.

I can wait.

Wondering about steep hills I just found out (Maybe everyone else knows already) that Sheffield is THE most geographically diverse city in England going from 29mts above sea level to over 500mts within the city. - Then to 548 mts at High Stones on the Derbyshire border.

One easy, one somewhat less easy ...

... it used to be called Pryor Row (Gosling, 1736, North side only), its now called ...

... it used to be called Tuckers Alley (Gosling, 1736), it's now called ...

Surname link

Cannock Street (S6) used to be called Charles William Street (renamed 1908)

and Cheadle Street (S6) was originally Frederick George Street (biult 1898, renamed 1908)

there I've answered it myself !

But what surname links Charles William and Frederick George ?

Surname pattern ???????? (Number of ? = number of letters in the surname)

-------------------------------------------------

Simples - www.comparethemeercat.com

Did New George Street use to be Boston Street then became New George Street and finely George Street?

Indded it did.

A few for free

St James's Hill became Vicar Lane.

Carr Place (named from Birley Carr) became Alney Place.

Ward Place became Welney Place.

Orchard Street became Apple Street (S3 district). In the 1970's there were four Orchard Streets !

Guest gingerpuss

I have been researching Birkendale and came across these names. In 1900 the 3 roads did not have separate names but were known as the Birkendale View estate. On 15th March 1900 the new names were proposed and adopted by the Council. Very soon local inhabitants made objections, and on 11th July 1900 sent a petition to the Council. It was agreed that Spion Road should be called Birkendale Road, Modder Road, Birkendale, and Plato Road, Birkendale View. I am also a bit baffled about why these names were proposed in the first place, especially Plato Road - but very glad the names did not stick!

Very interested to hear more ... Charles Dickinson was living at 12 Birkendale in 1893 - interesting to me because I lived there in the mid-1960's

Richard Haywood, Typecaster, lived at 19 Birkendale View in 1852 (quite early for the Birkendale development I would have thought - does this name pre-date the road as it is now ?) and

Birkendale Road I would have thought was built later (I am a Jessop-baby but family lived at 30 Birkendale when I was born).

Anyone know of these road names, or, were they "mooted" but not carried out ??

I have been researching Birkendale and came across these names. In 1900 the 3 roads did not have separate names but were known as the Birkendale View estate. On 15th March 1900 the new names were proposed and adopted by the Council. Very soon local inhabitants made objections, and on 11th July 1900 sent a petition to the Council. It was agreed that Spion Road should be called Birkendale Road, Modder Road, Birkendale, and Plato Road, Birkendale View. I am also a bit baffled about why these names were proposed in the first place, especially Plato Road - but very glad the names did not stick!