An entirely new one to me

RichardB

Doncaster Arms

Not listed in "A Pub on Every Corner" (Lamb) nor the "Sheffield A-Z of Public houses" (Liversidge), no mention of it in any Trade Directory I've read.

PictureSheffield gives us this information :

Derelict Doncaster Arms Public House, Doncaster Street and junction of Matthew Street (children's playground later built on this site)

and of course the picture :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=u00972

There is no date information, any best guesses anyone ? Has anyone come across this place in any documention ? What's there on the 1950's OS map, assuming we have one of the area ? Anyone got an older map covering this area please ?

Checking my Pub list, I can only see the "Rising Sun" at 38 Matthew Street and a

"White Hart" at 64 Doncaster Street.

White's 1910 for Doncaster st:

1 & 3 Gettliffe Robert, Grocer

Court 1

........shepherd street.......

.......Ellis street.......

Doncaster Daniel & Sons Lim.

steel manufacturers

Doncaster street school room & sunday school

.......matthew street.......

-------

Court 2

28 Brown, David, beerhouse

.......shepherd street.......

Southern & Richardson, cutlery manufacturers

Woohead Geo. T. razor grindr

Court 4

52 Mullins William, cutlery caster

52 Short William, confectioner

64 & 66 Milner Percy, beerhouse

.......matthew street.......

58 Shipley Mrs. Lily, shopkeeper

Court 5

.......hoyle street.......

Wasn't this playground built after a disaster where a wall fell on some kids, i'm sure i've got it somewhere.

Edit here we are,

Times Newspaper August 27 1886

THE FATAL ACCIDENT AT SHEFIELD.

Early yesterday morning the work people of Messrs. Daniel Doncaster and Sons,steel manufacturers,Sheffield, resumed the task of clearing away the debris in Matthew-Street, where, by the falling of a steel warehouse stacked with iron bars, several children lost their lives on Wednesday afternoon. About 8 o'clock another body Was found, making the, number of killed eight. It was identified as that of Herbert Crookes. whose father lives in Portmahon. By half-past 8 o'clock the bricks and iron bars had all been cleared away, no more bodies being discovered. It is fortunate that the accident occurred early in the evening, for towards 7 or 8 .o'clock it was the custom for a great number of children to play together under the wall. There is very little traffic in Matthew-Street, and it had become to a great extent a children's playground, being in the centre of a dense working class population. The inquest will take place today.

Thanks, that was just to get a feel for the area, obviously the building was demolished before the '50's.

Earlier map anyone please ?

Could be no.64-66 Wragg Mrs Ada beerho. 1925 dir.corner Mathew Street Doncaster Street

Looking like we have only found a name for a known Beerhouse.