Steam Workings through Sheffield

Guest Trefcon

Guest transit

No we'll just shoot you for your image editing Capability!

Or should I say lack of.

lol

;-)

.....Steve ...please do not under-estimate the respect / knowledge that Busman has throughout Sheffield and beyond . I have had the privelege of knowing of him - and his family- for 30 years plus , and have never had a wrong word with them, and dont think i've ever seen Busman without a camera to hand !!!!

Believe me , his portfolio of local transport photos must be into 200,000 , and the ones he's putting on almost daily - for us all to see ,without copyright ect , is an example of how dedicated and generous he is ,to share that knowledge -and time to go out and take the photo's! - and still work full-time!!!!!

I know Busman will not like me saying this , but , he has been through a dreadfull year to a lesser man , but no one would have known, cos thats how stubborn he is !

Believe me - when i say we would ALL be worse off - on this site ,and many others - if Busman (or his alter-ego at the moment ,mr steam train man!) takes offence at your snidey comment about "image-editing ?" --- just be thankfull ,like most of us , that he got out , and took the time and trouble to get the photo - like he always has done !!!!!!!

OK - NOW lets shoot him for his dress sense and hairstyle !!!!!!!!!! lollol lol

transit,

I do not under- estimate any member of Sheffield History.

What I did was edit an image and improved it's

quality,

posted it along with a humorous reply.

"that can be seen above"

That was not appreciated,

so I then removed the image

along with a post/comment that I found offensive my self.

If bus man don't like it he can lump it.

;-)

Guest bus man

The edit of the photo is appreciated however as stated above I do not have the facilities to edit don’t have the time especially last night when the SLR camera had failed during the day and I have more important things to do than remove somebody’s arm from a photo - getting SLR back in service

I don’t really think that image was so bad as to receive the comments above it illustrates a point : a very very rare image of a passenger train on the loop at chesterfield and an even rarer one : steam on loop which then crossed over to use the Dore line.

Perhaps we should be concentrating on the core subject of this forum i.e. history and not the techniques of image editing

Transit Thanks for the comments

Guest transit

The edit of the photo is appreciated however as stated above I do not have the facilities to edit don’t have the time especially last night when the SLR camera had failed during the day and I have more important things to do than remove somebody’s arm from a photo - getting SLR back in service

I don’t really think that image was so bad as to receive the comments above it illustrates a point : a very very rare image of a passenger train on the loop at chesterfield and an even rarer one : steam on loop which then crossed over to use the Dore line.

Perhaps we should be concentrating on the core subject of this forum i.e. history and not the techniques of image editing

Transit Thanks for the comments

...well said - at least YOU got out there (as you so often do) to capture that certain piece of transport history in our city. We should be eternally grateful for at least we get to see a picture or two , no matter WHAT size ect , and thank you for that - once again ! I am sure anyone else who had gone to the trouble of getting an illusive /once in a lifetime pic , then put it up on here for all to see - just to recieve a snidey, sarcastic "shoot him cos he cant photo image/edit correctly " !! would annoy even the most patient of person. I hope i know i speak for the majority of members when i say we are happy to see any pictures on this Forum , and not worry too much about the quality /size ect (you could always alter them yourself in fotoshop ect if youre that picky!) So please keep clicking away !!!

This shows it starting after the signal check at chesterfield - sorry its out

of sheffield I assume I am not going to be shot for putting it on here

This is the post I replied to,

sorry if my comment appeared offensive.

I was not intended to be.

Guest tsavo

OK folks, I think everyone contributing to this topic has done a brilliant job, informing and entertaining us with good information, and great pictures. As that's what SH was designed to do, great work by all concerned.

(I'm sure there's a clever remark somewhere about "letting off steam", but I'm not clever enough to think of one!)

So, cyber handshakes all round, (or kisses and cuddles, - your choice) and thanks Gent's for all contributions.

One thing that seemed to be missing though is an explanation of which part had to be replaced on the 'new' steam loco. As always, the tv news didn't give us an answer and I've been wondering exactly what it was. I'm sure someone knows.

Guest transit

OK folks, I think everyone contributing to this topic has done a brilliant job, informing and entertaining us with good information, and great pictures. As that's what SH was designed to do, great work by all concerned.

(I'm sure there's a clever remark somewhere about "letting off steam", but I'm not clever enough to think of one!)

So, cyber handshakes all round, (or kisses and cuddles, - your choice) and thanks Gent's for all contributions.

One thing that seemed to be missing though is an explanation of which part had to be replaced on the 'new' steam loco. As always, the tv news didn't give us an answer and I've been wondering exactly what it was. I'm sure someone knows.

...yes , i , and i hope, Busman , are happy to get "back on track !" - (i can bet he will be out and about somewhere taking pics as we speak ) and are happy to contribute as best we can with local transport related subjects . Cyber handshakes all round!!!!!! he he

Guest bus man

Not sure what where the phrase new came from however, to clarify the incident i am refering happened on the great western main line into Paddington one of the GWR locos - think a castle - hit the the understide of a bridge with the chimney this caused damage to the bridge and the chimney / loco top , it also shut the main line as is standard for an incident of this nature.

The railway accident investigation that followed showed that the line had been rebalested and made higher the contractor had worked to the standard measurments for modern stock but hadnt looked at the footnotes that indicated that the loading gauge for that line was higher to allow older locos in.

There was a lot of red faces as various agencies had checked the work and aproved it there fore all the relivant authorites are now prone to cover there backs incase it happens again , unfortunatley with the present fragmented railway this will happen the days of BR RA clearance (Route Availability) been gauranteed have gone, thre was alsoa case with a cylinder hitting a platform hedge that had been changed without the nesesary paperwork.

Just before some one tells me that BR wasnt above this sort of thing I am aware of that in that there was the accident with the Western diesel that occured because a workshop had fitted a new type of untested battery box closing clip to a loco the clip wasnt designed to stop the box opening in transit ( :rolleyes: ) as a result the box opened caught line side equipement and lives were lost

Guest bus man

In some ways the return working was more intresting than the inward working as it had a class 47 and MKI stock on it , here we see it entering midland on the ecs working from Barrow Hill the loco is 47760

Note the Snow Ploughs

Guest tsavo

Post by 'bus man' May 10 2009, 01:26 PM'

Not sure what where the phrase new came from however, to clarify the incident i am refering happened on the great western main line into Paddington one of the GWR locos - think a castle - hit the the understide of a bridge with the chimney this caused damage to the bridge and the chimney / loco top , it also shut the main line as is standard for an incident of this nature.

Sorry, I was refering to the new steam loco (Tornado?) which was reported to have developed a fault a week of so ago. Made me wonder where you would pop too for a bit for a brand newly built steam loco. Can't be many options except to have spares made while building the engine.

Guest bus man

Dont know what the tornado problem was it may be in the pile of unread stuff on my desk if is ill let you know , yes it would probably have to be made or if its something that you will need to renew then you use a spare then get one made the problem is if you use them quicker than you can make them

A case in point is the newish (1980s) trams at blackpool a lot of the components are German so there for you have to order from there but in order to keep costs down the accountants down want spares in stock so you loose a tram for 4 - 8 days while the part arrives ok not bad untill you realise that the parts are windscreen wiper motors - it then gets silly

Ill try and find out what was wrong with tornado

Guest bus man

MORNING ANORAKS

Get you duffle bags and lyons fruit pies ready

We have a double headed black five charter working Man Vic - Hope Valley - Sheffield Mid Meadowhall - Barnsley - Penistone - Huddersfield - Man Vic tommorow:

1Z29

Man Vic 1115 (RET 1937)

Stocport 1145-48

Chinley E Jn 1213

Hathersage 1231 -3

Dore West Jn 1243

Sheffield Mid 1231 - 1353 -Water (leaves as 1Z30)

Meadowhall 1400

Barnsley 1423

Penistone 1444-7

Stocksmoor 1508-57

Huddersfield 1613

The Hathersage stop is to pick up one passanger the stops at penistone and Stocksmoor are for pathing purposes

This train is a repeat of the train earlier in the year

Locos are 45231 & 45407

I hope that anyone going out for this enjoyes it , however, just a reminder please act responsibly and keep the correct side of the fence , there were problems in the penistone area last time with treaspass and public order remember behaviour like this will result in steam locos been banned ACT RESPONSIBLY

THANK YOU

full times

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t09/t1018a.htm

MORNING ANORAKS

Get you duffle bags and lyons fruit pies ready

We have a double headed black five charter working Man Vic - Hope Valley - Sheffield Mid Meadowhall - Barnsley - Penistone - Huddersfield - Man Vic tommorow:

1Z29

Man Vic 1115 (RET 1937)

Stocport 1145-48

Chinley E Jn 1213

Hathersage 1231 -3

Dore West Jn 1243

Sheffield Mid 1231 - 1353 -Water (leaves as 1Z30)

Meadowhall 1400

Barnsley 1423

Penistone 1444-7

Stocksmoor 1508-57

Huddersfield 1613

The Hathersage stop is to pick up one passanger the stops at penistone and Stocksmoor are for pathing purposes

This train is a repeat of the train earlier in the year

Locos are 45231 & 45407

I hope that anyone going out for this enjoyes it , however, just a reminder please act responsibly and keep the correct side of the fence , there were problems in the penistone area last time with treaspass and public order remember behaviour like this will result in steam locos been banned ACT RESPONSIBLY

THANK YOU

full times

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t09/t1018a.htm

and here they are steaming through Chapeltown yesterday...

Both 06/11/08

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Guest bus man

Evening everybody

Dutchess Of Sutherland is out on the mainline IN BLACK livery this saturday

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t10/t0410b.htm

Seen here at Beighton

Not sure about the black livery

Same location

Guest bus man

I saw it last night at chesterfield and the black livery looked good the problem is we are used to seeing it in the maroon livery, talking to someone who rememebrs them in black he said it looked right

I saw it last night at chesterfield and the black livery looked good the problem is we are used to seeing it in the maroon livery, talking to someone who rememebrs them in black he said it looked right

I agree, I saw it at Chesterfield last night as well, it does look good, as you say we are used to seeing it maroon.

One of those mobile kettles is in Sheffield tomorrow, Saturday 12th June

The Cheshireman

LMS Class 5MT 44871 is hauling this train from Cleethorpes to Chester and the return journey from Chester as far as Sheffield.

Relevant timings are:

Aldwarke Junction 0847

Sheffield arr 0903, dep 0917

Heeley Up Loop, stop for water 0921-0952

Hathersage 1007-1009: not sure why it stops for two minutes at Hathersage.

Return journey

Hathersage 1910-1912

Sheffield arr 1929

full timings on UK Steam Info. These are the correct timings (they agree with the operator's timings) despite the incorrect date at the top of the page.

The Cheshireman

LMS Class 5MT 44871 is hauling this train from Cleethorpes to Chester and the return journey from Chester as far as Sheffield.

Relevant timings are:

Aldwarke Junction 0847

Sheffield arr 0903, dep 0917

Heeley Up Loop, stop for water 0921-0952

Hathersage 1007-1009: not sure why it stops for two minutes at Hathersage.

Return journey

Hathersage 1910-1912

Sheffield arr 1929

full timings on UK Steam Info. These are the correct timings (they agree with the operator's timings) despite the incorrect date at the top of the page.

Passing Totley this morning

Fancy describing a steam locomotive as a "mobile kettle" madannie.

I don't really fancy a hot drink made with "blow down" water from the boiler.

The water is likely to contain a fair bit of "mud", not real mud (unless the water used to fill the boiler was muddy, - not a good idea) but a collection of rusty corroded debris from inside the boiler. This is mainly rust, hydrated iron (III) oxide to you madannie, - not very nice in tea.

Boiler water is also likely to contain a fair amount of chemical corrosion inhibitor and stuff used to clean the inside of the boiler, - descalers and the like.

Having said that, in my traction engine days it was fairly common to cook a meal using either food wrapped in silver foil in the smokebox or food cooked on the coal shovel in the firebox!

Does the idea of the "mobile kettle" come from the myth that James Watt invented the steam engine having got the idea from watching a boiling kettle and seeing the steam pressure raise the lid of it?

I don't know where the "mobile kettle" thing came from: I have called steam locomotives kettles for many years, basically because of the method of propulsion. I certainly wouldn't drink any water which had been inside a locomotive: having worked in the water treatment industry many years ago I have some recollection of what corrosion and scale inhibitors contain.

Great shot of the railtour, Stuart.

I don't know where the "mobile kettle" thing came from: I have called steam locomotives kettles for many years, basically because of the method of propulsion.

In 1995 and 1996 Sheffield & District Steam Society (as it was then) held its rallies, as an intrim measure, at Renishaw Hall.

The show was opened by Raisby Sitwell of Renishaw Hall

He invariable refered to traction engines as "those old boilers", which I suppose they are.

He was taken into the arena on a very nice 1896 Fowell engine (made by Fowell's of St. Ives, Cambridgeshire) which had been especially polished up for the occasion and for the engines centenary.

He made his show opening speech from the footplate of this engine but just went on and on for ages.

In the end water was getting low in the Fowell's boiler and the engineman decided to inject water from the tender.

The steam injector was at the bottom of the tender, below the footplate, and directly below the point where Sir Raisby was standing to give his speech.

A sudden blast of steam from the injector in which Raisby disappeared got a laugh from the crowds and brought his over long speech to an abrupt end.

That should teach him to refer to traction engines as "Old Boilers"

Now, although the traction engine was old, in its centenary year, like most engines it was a bit like the headsmans axe in a famous Stanley Holloway monologue in which he narrates the part of a beefeater guide taking tourists around the Tower of London. -

"Now this here is the axe Sir,

That's given Royal necks such hard whacks,

It's had a new handle, and happen a new head,

But it's the real original axe"