Photographs of Two Old Houses Around High Green

Guest mick2009

Guest mick2009

Hi there,

I just wondered if you could help me. I have a box of very old glass plate negatives taken between 1901-05. Some of the other photographs in the box are certainly of High Green. What I'm trying to ascertain is if the rest are.

Does anybody know that area well enough to recognise these two photographs? also any information would be great. If not they should be in the Sheffield area.

Many Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24986943@N07/...030570/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24986943@N07/...030772/sizes/o/

Guest Trefcon

I'll have a punt at Mortomley Hall for the first one, with the Chapel in the left background as per Godfrey map 'High Green & Thorncliffe'.

Dean.

I'll have a punt at Mortomley Hall for the first one, with the Chapel in the left background as per Godfrey map 'High Green & Thorncliffe'.

Dean.

And I wondered if the 2nd may be this - after some alteration? I looks very similar possibly with the bay added and the odd window moved or is that wishful thinking. he he

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s06099

Guest mick2009

Many thanks for your replies. I've checked out that I can from your info. Though alas it still doesn't seem to match the photographs. It would now possibly appear then, that they were taken around this part of the country. But not necessarily High Green.

Thanks.

Guest mick2009

Dean, you are 100% correct!

Yeah sorry, I got my facts mixed up in my last post. I was actually talking about the other photograph. I have another old glass negative of the above building and written on the bottom is 'Mortomley'. So it must be Mortomley Hall like you said.

I've had a look around the internet, but I can't find anything about Mortomley Hall.

Was it demolished years ago?

Many thanks.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Mick,

any chance of posting a copy of the other negative?

As to what happened to the Hall i dont know Mick, but i do know a local historian for High Green, i'll e-mail him for any info.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Mick,

found this today,

Mortomley Hall.

Built on the site of a previous house, bits of which were still there in this house.

Built by John Parkyn in 1703, he put his initials and that date plus his wifes name over the door. Apparently the Parkyn family held the estate way back to 1567.

Guest Gramps

A bit more.

Dean, can I ask what title you're quoting from there ? I was going to post what Eastwood had to say about Mortomley but you beat me to it anyway. The info is basically the same but your pages seem to be from a later work than Eastwood.

Thanks.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Gramps,

afraid i didn't make a note of the volume!

What i did was look at the index cards while in the local studies. There were only 3 for Mortomley, and it was one of those, some history of HighGreen/Chapeltown.

Dean.

Guest Gramps

Hi Gramps,

afraid i didn't make a note of the volume!

What i did was look at the index cards while in the local studies. There were only 3 for Mortomley, and it was one of those, some history of HighGreen/Chapeltown.

Dean.

Thanks anyway - I imagine it's one of Joan Jones' books. I'll follow your route next time I'm in there :)

Thanks anyway - I imagine it's one of Joan Jones' books. I'll follow your route next time I'm in there :)

Linked discussion to Godfrey Map List - updated 19/3 ;-)

Guest Gramps

Linked discussion to Godfrey Map List - updated 19/3 ;-)

And I found the book that Dean used - which you might want to add to the bibliography ;-)

Chapeltown Researches: Archaeological and Historical, HABERSHON, Matthew Henry, Pawson and Brailsford (Sheffield) 1893

Guest mick2009

Hi Dean,

That's a bit of fantastic research you have done there! Really interesting actually. It's weird that at the bottom of page 2 it mentions Catherine Jeffock and Whalley. That is where I'm from and I was born in Whalley.

Anyway as promised is another photograph of Mortomley Hall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24986943@N07/...463811/sizes/o/

Guest Trefcon

I received this from the local historian at High Green yesterday, he is looking into the other house.

Dean.

Guest mick2009

I loved the way the building had turned into a public library. I thought, what a great place for a library and then only to find it was demolished in 1961! Oh well.

The other shots I have of High Green have the two pubs 'The Pack Horse' and the 'Old Cart and Horses' on and they are 100% in High Green. I have checked those out for various sources.

This one is misleading. When I read the pubs name 'Queens Head Inn', I naturally thought this was also in High Green. But after comparing what little there is on the net. I'm not sure anymore. All I can say, is this photograph should of taken around that part of the world. I was wondering if High Green got bombed in the war or something and some of the buildings are different today?

Well anyway, here is the photograph. If anybody can help on this one it would great to identify it. There is also a high res version on there as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24986943@N07/...253949/sizes/l/

Guest sexpistol

I loved the way the building had turned into a public library. I thought, what a great place for a library and then only to find it was demolished in 1961! Oh well.

The other shots I have of High Green have the two pubs 'The Pack Horse' and the 'Old Cart and Horses' on and they are 100% in High Green. I have checked those out for various sources.

This one is misleading. When I read the pubs name 'Queens Head Inn', I naturally thought this was also in High Green. But after comparing what little there is on the net. I'm not sure anymore. All I can say, is this photograph should of taken around that part of the world. I was wondering if High Green got bombed in the war or something and some of the buildings are different today?

Well anyway, here is the photograph. If anybody can help on this one it would great to identify it. There is also a high res version on there as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24986943@N07/...253949/sizes/l/

Hi Mick,

This pic is of High Green its been tacken from the bottom of Jeffcock Rd, the building on the left is now the bookies. The one on the right is a docs, where the main crowd is stood is now a daft little roundabout were Jeffcock meets Wortley Rd. The pub front right is the Old Cart n Horses, the one front left is The Queens Head Inn (now just Queens Head). This is joined to (just visable) what was a butchers-bakers-pet shop-florists now a hair dressers.The buidings in between the pubs I remeber as 2/3 cottages and the smaller one on th left was a chippie then a egg shop, which when I was very young a worse for wear doctor drove into, I was told. These are now gone and the site is now the Cart car park.

Hope this is of use.

Hi Mick,

This pic is of High Green its been tacken from the bottom of Jeffcock Rd, the building on the left is now the bookies. The one on the right is a docs, where the main crowd is stood is now a daft little roundabout were Jeffcock meets Wortley Rd. The pub front right is the Old Cart n Horses, the one front left is The Queens Head Inn (now just Queens Head). This is joined to (just visable) what was a butchers-bakers-pet shop-florists now a hair dressers.The buidings in between the pubs I remeber as 2/3 cottages and the smaller one on th left was a chippie then a egg shop, which when I was very young a worse for wear doctor drove into, I was told. These are now gone and the site is now the Cart car park.

Hope this is of use.

The old cart & horses is out of view in this picture & not front right as stated. All the three buildings have been demolished to the right of the queens head.