Grayson

Guest Brokenstriker

Guest Brokenstriker

I'm trying to find information about a Grayson (or Grason) family that kept an inn in Sheffield around 1775. At that time the inn was kept by a woman, possibly named Elizabeth (possibly the former Elizabeth Huntington) the widow of a man possibly named John Grayson (or Grason), and mother of a son named Richard Grayson. Richard was pressed into military service for violating King George's curfew and sent to Massachusetts. I understand there was at least one sister at home in 1775. Richard survived the American revolution and remained in the United States.

Any information about the family, or Sheffield inns from the 1770's would be much appreciated.

Thanks -

Proctor Grayson

Welcome to the Site Brokenstriker, I'm probably the person you need to speak to regarding Sheffield Pubs - especially the old ones - no offense to other Pub people - I've spent three hours on this, I don't have anything for Grayson (or Grason) within the time-frame stated - that's Pub, beerhouses and a good search of the internet.

Do you have any further details, names, dates, adresses that might assist in the search ?

A Grayson in the 1820's is the best I can currently find and I have considerable resource.

Hi Brokenstriker

I have looked through my records for the innkeepers in the late 1700's and very early 1800's but cannot find the names of either Grayson or Hutchinson.

Although there wasn't a large population in Sheffield at that time there was a far few inns and beerhouses.

Sheffield was a much smaller place then and it could be the family had an inn or a beerhouse outside of Sheffield which we now take as being in Sheffield.

Beerhouses opened and closed on a regular basis with many running lodgings or shops in those days and it is hard to trace all these addresses as some of them changed very quickly as the population exploded iin Sheffield and people moved on.

In the Sheffield Directory for 1770 there is no mention of your family names amongst the listed victuallers.

Do you have an address, area or the name of the inn so that these could be checked out.

Sorry I drew a blank.

Guest Brokenstriker

Thanks for checking. At the moment I don't have any more info, I was actually surprised to come across some family records that had this much. This branch of my family tree has always been an unknown. If I get any more details I'll get back to you. Thanks again - much appreciated.

Thanks for checking. At the moment I don't have any more info, I was actually surprised to come across some family records that had this much. This branch of my family tree has always been an unknown. If I get any more details I'll get back to you. Thanks again - much appreciated.

I will have another look; please keep us informed of any progress.

Good Luck.