Looking for Photos of Ancestors: Chapman, Bates, Ibberson, Tagg, Wheelhouse, Weston and Blackwell

Beery

Hi folks.

I think I know one or two people here from other websites, but I've never posted on this subject before.

Anyway, I'm trying to find links to people with Chapman, Bates, Ibberson, Tagg, Wheelhouse, Weston and Blackwell ancestry. If there are people here who have two or more of those names in their ancestry I was wondering if they would be willing to share some photos of our ancestors.

I'm basically on a crusade to get as many photos as I can of my ancestors. I grew up knowing virtually nothing of my Heeley/Sheffield lineage beyond my grandad (Eddie Chapman) and his immediate family at 299-301 Gleadless Road, and for some reason there were never any photos around. I never really thought about my roots until my mum died a couple of years ago. Since then I've been on a sort of obsessive quest to learn as much as possible. Unfortunately I'm living in the US these days so I can't pop over to raid my relatives' attics, so I'm trying to get as much as possible over the internet.

Anyway, if anyone here has any photos or knows of any way to get some, please let me know. I'm especially interested in the following people:

Harry Chapman (1871-1941)

Emma (nee Blackwell) Smith (1865-1916)

Hannah (nee Scholey) Tagg (1834-1916)

The following people died before photography became popular and/or they were extremely poor so probably they couldn't afford a studio photograph at the time, but if there are any photos I would dearly love to get copies:

George Chapman (1844-1881)

Ann (nee Bates) Chapman (1850-187

Harry Wheelhouse (1868-1897)

Eliza Ann (nee Weston) Wheelhouse (1869-1896)

Finally, I have photos of the following people, but I'm looking for more:

Thomas Ibberson (1850-1916)

Rachel (nee Tagg) Ibberson (1854-1915)

John Wheelhouse (1886-194

Florence (nee Smith) Wheelhouse (1889-1980)

Frederick Smith (1866-1940)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

"Ear all, see all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all, pay nowt. And if tha does owt fer nowt, allus do it for thissen"

Thomas Ibberson (1850-1916)

Rachel (nee Tagg) Ibberson (1854-1915)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Don't know if this is any help but, i have 7 Ibberson's on my tree William c.1823 and Sarah (nee Carnall) Ibberson c.1824, who had 6 Children, Mary c.1845, Catherine b.1847,m.1872,d.1920, Joseph c.1851, George c.1853 and ofcourse a Sarah c.1856 and a William c.1859. I think you can find these on the 1861 census at 21 Norfolk Lane, Sheffield.

Catherine married Joseph Roberts 3.8.1872 and are my great great grandparents.

With Ibberson being quite an unusual surname, your Thomas Ibberson at a guess is probably a cousin of Catherine.

Sorry, I missed this reply when it was posted (I can't get the hang of the email notification thing). Thanks for the response.

I've looked into William Ibberson, but as far as I can make out after a quick search, his father was George Ibberson (1786) and George's father seems to have been another George (1754) whose father was John Ibberson. My Thomas Ibberson's dad is Samuel Ibberson (1808), whose dad is Robert (1785), whose dad is William (1765), whose dad is Robert (1733), whose dad is William (1710). I can't see clearly beyond that, so I guess there may be some relation there hiding in the mists of time.

Guest tsavo

Try clicking on Options at the top right of the posts and from the drop down list, select Subscribe to this forum.

Try clicking on Options at the top right of the posts and from the drop down list, select Subscribe to this forum.

Yeah, I've already done that, but for some reason I'm just not getting the notifications.

I've looked into William Ibberson, but as far as I can make out after a quick search, his father was George Ibberson (1786) and George's father seems to have been another George (1754) whose father was John Ibberson. My Thomas Ibberson's dad is Samuel Ibberson (1808), whose dad is Robert (1785), whose dad is William (1765), whose dad is Robert (1733), whose dad is William (1710). I can't see clearly beyond that, so I guess there may be some relation there hiding in the mists of time.

Hi Beery,

sorry none of my info helped, but you could help me if you can tell me where you found out about further back than William.

Cheers.

Baldy.

Hi Beery,

sorry none of my info helped, but you could help me if you can tell me where yu found out about further back than William.

Cheers.

Baldy.

Sure, I did a few quick searches of births and baptisms on familysearch.org Judging by the census data after 1840 there seem to have only been a few Ibberson families in the Sheffield area in the 1840s and 1850s, so there's a fairly high probability that what I found is on the right track. But since I only did a very cursory search, there's always the possibility that I've completely missed something, so take my findings with a pinch of salt.

Guest yorkie39

Sure, I did a few quick searches of births and baptisms on familysearch.org Judging by the census data after 1840 there seem to have only been a few Ibberson families in the Sheffield area in the 1840s and 1850s, so there's a fairly high probability that what I found is on the right track. But since I only did a very cursory search, there's always the possibility that I've completely missed something, so take my findings with a pinch of salt.

Hello Beery,

My name is Mary (nee Weston) and I was born in Sheffield (Southey Green). I had members of my family whose surname was Wheelhouse and have some old photos of my family.

If you would like to contact me via e mail maybe we could chat about it, as it would be nice to hear from you.

My e mail address is: maryeford@tiscali.co.uk.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Guest janine

hi

my gx3grandfather was the brother of your annie bates who married george chapman i have alot of info that i have collected on both families and their cousins, in-laws etc i am more than happy to swap info .

i like you are searching for photos and i am awaiting a few replies so fingers crossed. one lady told me alot of the bates family had very dark hair most of it curly. my ggrandfather ernest nowill[he was edward bates grandson/mother lily died in childbirth/nowill family took him in ]had dark curly hair so this fits in with what i have been told, obviously i have photos of him, maybe your interested?

my mum was given photos of the nowills and we think chapmans, although we are trying to work out who is who as most of them are not labelled, we also have some of soldiers recovering at a large house used as a hospital i think in ww1.

i have a few birth/marriage certificates that i can e-mail you.

my nan is still alive at 86 so i do get a bit of info off her but she doesn't know that much about the bates, or doesn't like saying too much as her dad was illegitamate, so i have to be careful what i ask so i don't upset her.

hope to hear from you

janine

Hi Janine,

Thanks for contacting me.

I'd love to get any photos you have that might possibly be related to the Chapman or Bates families, and I'd love to see Ernest Nowill. The more photos I have, the more chance I have to recognize or rule out unknowns, so please email me all you can. My email address is beery1@comcast.net.

On the issue of the WW1 hospital photos, please send those you have. I'm a bit of a WW1 buff, so I should be able to tell you a bit more about any WW1 photos you have.

Regarding unknown photos, I might be able to help pin down the dates the photos were taken.

Thanks for the offer of the certificates. However, I'm pretty sure I have all my direct ancestors' certificates. If you need any from the Chapmans or Bateses, let me know where to send them and I'll email them to you. Ditto any photos, although the only ones I have are of my grandad, Edward Chapman. Let me know if you're interested in photos of him.

Thanks again and looking forward to any photos you might have,

Ian.

There is a picture of Tony Chapman posing with Fred Pass in Fred's book, 'Weerz Mi Mam'.

Fred is no longer with us but Tony Chapman is still living in Crookes.

Hope this is of some interest.