Broadfield Toll-bar

Bayleaf

Guest Gramps

Stood on Abbeydale Road

at the Town side of Abbeydale cinema.

A little more exactly - about opposite the junction of Belper avenue and Abbeydale road. ;-)

This rather fuzzy enlargement of the 1850 OS map shows the position of both the Broadfield and Heeley toll bars. The two places were connected by an ancient footpath known as Primrose Walk, part of which can still be seen on Google Maps.

Broadfield/Heeley toll bars

Picture Sheffield have recently added more views of the Broadfield toll bar- the first two in colour.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=u01653

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s16134

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s16136

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s16160

I have just found what I have been looking for and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information.

My 3ggrandfather, William Boocock/Bowcock/Bocock (1796 - 1848) was the tollgate collector at Broadfield Bar -- at least in 1843 when his daughter Emma was born. She was my 2ggrandmother and died before she was 30 in the U.S., and I wanted to find out more about her English surroundings.

I want to be certain that I understand the map. Does the label Broadfield T P mark the location of the toll-bar? (It's the P in T P that I can't interpret.) Considering that William Boocock probably leased the toll-bar for a period of time, would he have leased it from the Owler Bar Trust?

In the 1841 census, William Boocock was the toll collector at Oak Well Bar, Silkstone, Barnesley and he died, reportedly in Sheffield, in 1848. Earlier he was also toll collector at Tinsley Bar and Balderton Bar, but I'm still working that out.

While the family was living at Broadfield Bar, Samuel, a 4-year-old son, died in 1845. His death is not registered. By the 1851 census, his widow Sarah and surviving daughters were living in Notton.

They were non-conformists. Were there any Methodist churches in the vicinity where they might have worshipped?

Thank you all so much for the information and the links. You have made my day!

I have just found what I have been looking for and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information.

My 3ggrandfather, William Boocock/Bowcock/Bocock (1796 - 1848) was the tollgate collector at Broadfield Bar -- at least in 1843 when his daughter Emma was born. She was my 2ggrandmother and died before she was 30 in the U.S., and I wanted to find out more about her English surroundings.

I want to be certain that I understand the map. Does the label Broadfield T P mark the location of the toll-bar? (It's the P in T P that I can't interpret.) Considering that William Boocock probably leased the toll-bar for a period of time, would he have leased it from the Owler Bar Trust?

In the 1841 census, William Boocock was the toll collector at Oak Well Bar, Silkstone, Barnesley and he died, reportedly in Sheffield, in 1848. Earlier he was also toll collector at Tinsley Bar and Balderton Bar, but I'm still working that out.

While the family was living at Broadfield Bar, Samuel, a 4-year-old son, died in 1845. His death is not registered. By the 1851 census, his widow Sarah and surviving daughters were living in Notton.

They were non-conformists. Were there any Methodist churches in the vicinity where they might have worshipped?

Thank you all so much for the information and the links. You have made my day!

Hi Jean and welcome to the forum,

TP is an abbreviation of Turnpike ,

see also this Topic .. Sheffield Turnpikes in the 18th Century