Timmins Family Woodhouse & Sheffield

popt

My great grandparents David and Mary Jane Timmins and their children moved up to Woodhouse from the Black Country sometime between 1885 to 1891.

I believe some of them were still living in Woodhouse in the 1920's and others moved to Sheffield.

Does anyone have any information on any of the Timmins family?

Guest Helene

Don't know whether these people are linked or not, but there are a Timmins family who feature in my research who lived in Alvechurch around the 1860's. I'm not a direct descendant so I don't have a lot of info but here goes.

My Great (x4) Grandfather Job Allen (bn July 1793 Kinver Staffordshire) married Maria Stevenson (bn 1805 Worfield Shropshire) on 31st January 1819 in Wolverhampton (2nd marriage and I'm descended from the first marriage). A daughter to the second marriage Harriet Louisa Allen (bn July to Sept quarter 1839 in Tipton) married John Harward Timmins (Ch 10 May 1833 Chaddesley Corbett Worcestershire). The marriage took place during the April to June quarter of 1863 in Dudley. John Harward Timmins Mother was Susan Timmins bn 1791 and was living with them in Alvechurch in 1871 where the census shows them residing in Birmingham Road, Westheath.

The only other info I have is that John and Harriett Timmins had two sons, Walter H Timmins born 1867 and Alfred Allen Timmins born 1868. I do not know whether this is the same family or whether they did move to Sheffield. My ancestors born of Job's first marriage to Jane Allen did move to Sheffield and lived in the Darnall and Attercliffe area's so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

I don't know which family history resources you use, I use ancestry and the 1871 census data appears to have been mis-transcribed and the records can be found by spelling the surname as Simmins. This brings back more people than I have detailed and may be of interest to you.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Don't know whether these people are linked or not, but there are a Timmins family who feature in my research who lived in Alvechurch around the 1860's. I'm not a direct descendant so I don't have a lot of info but here goes.

My Great (x4) Grandfather Job Allen (bn July 1793 Kinver Staffordshire) married Maria Stevenson (bn 1805 Worfield Shropshire) on 31st January 1819 in Wolverhampton (2nd marriage and I'm descended from the first marriage). A daughter to the second marriage Harriet Louisa Allen (bn July to Sept quarter 1839 in Tipton) married John Harward Timmins (Ch 10 May 1833 Chaddesley Corbett Worcestershire). The marriage took place during the April to June quarter of 1863 in Dudley. John Harward Timmins Mother was Susan Timmins bn 1791 and was living with them in Alvechurch in 1871 where the census shows them residing in Birmingham Road, Westheath.

The only other info I have is that John and Harriett Timmins had two sons, Walter H Timmins born 1867 and Alfred Allen Timmins born 1868. I do not know whether this is the same family or whether they did move to Sheffield. My ancestors born of Job's first marriage to Jane Allen did move to Sheffield and lived in the Darnall and Attercliffe area's so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

I don't know which family history resources you use, I use ancestry and the 1871 census data appears to have been mis-transcribed and the records can be found by spelling the surname as Simmins. This brings back more people than I have detailed and may be of interest to you.

Helene

I have read your notes on the Timmins members and cannot recognise the either John Harward or his mother Susan and his wife Harriet. At this time I do not think they are members of my family but I will look further into their history just in case they are another branch of the same Timmins origins.

As a matter of interest I have read where there are 5 origins of the Timmins Family.

Two in Ireland County Wexford and County Cork, one in Germany and one in Holland although they think the Dutch family originated in Germany and the last one in the Midlands where I have seen records dating back to the 14th & 15th centuries.

With this it is not beyond coincidence that most of the Timmins families in the Midlands come from the same family.

Of course a lot of Irish Soldiers came over and fought for Charles the First during the English Civil War and so there could be confusion of origins due to the suspension of records around that period and after the conflicts.

Thankyou for your help, if I do come across any info I think you may be interested in I will be in touch and hopefully you will reciprocate.

PopT