Old Newspaper Snippets

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Here's an idea that might just catch on.

From time to time I spend an hour or two looking through old newspapers, mainly (at present anyway) from the late 1940s to the early 1950s, and, just occasionally, I spot an item that mentions someone I know or used to know. Then again there are items about people I don't know, but I think "well, someone might know them, and would be interested to be reminded of this news item." So I thought I might occasionally post some of these small news items, and hope that they ring a bell with someone. It is possible that relatives of the people involved might spot the item.

For instance, the Korean war ended in late July 1953, and in The Star for Monday August 10 1953 there was a news item reporting that Private ERNEST WRAGG, aged 21, of 94 Outram Road, Sheffield, had been released by the Communists after being a POW in Korea for almost 2 years.

What happened to Ernest Wragg in later life?

Soon afterwards, on August 14, 1953, The Star reported that HARRY NOBLE, a chainsmith at the Thorncliffe Works of Newton Chambers, was retiring after 55 years service with the firm. He had started work with NC at the age of 13 (in 1898). At the time of his retirement he had two sons working at the firm.

Does anyone remember the Noble family and their links with Newton Chambers?

It is, but the pages are very frail around the edges and flaking quite badly.

Thats the problem with old newsprint. I have a box of Green-uns from the early 1950's some of them are in a terrible state.

Funny, my wife has the same opinion of my stuff.

That looks fantastic, hours of reading to be had.

Crap was not the word she used to describe it when she was talking to me Stuart.

My wife doesn't mind the artefacts of it, just the amount of time I spend in front of a computer.

As part of my collection (of what the wife call my 'crap') I have this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2cbvh3.jpg

Be careful because those bound volumes tend to become rather delicate after a few years, but, even so, why not dip in an pick out a few stories of ordinary folk hitting the headlines?

1958 was quite a year for stories --like the Munich air disastr in Feb, the Jimmy Hagan testimonial match in March, and in April the last tram ran on the Prince of Wales Rd route. Also in April a 16 year old called June Cooper, a shop assistant, won the Miss England beauty contest --but quit three days later. In May the Queen Mother laid the foundation stone of the new teaching hospital in Glossop Road (now the Royal Hallamshire). Tommy Steele appeared at the City Hall in June; the new College of Technology (now Hallam University) opened in Pond Street in September, and in the same month Albert Quixall went to Manchester United from Wednesday for £45,000 --then the British record fee!

You should be able to add a few headlines to that!

Here's an idea that might just catch on.

From time to time I spend an hour or two looking through old newspapers, mainly (at present anyway) from the late 1940s to the early 1950s, and, just occasionally, I spot an item that mentions someone I know or used to know. Then again there are items about people I don't know, but I think "well, someone might know them, and would be interested to be reminded of this news item." So I thought I might occasionally post some of these small news items, and hope that they ring a bell with someone. It is possible that relatives of the people involved might spot the item.

For instance, the Korean war ended in late July 1953, and in The Star for Monday August 10 1953 there was a news item reporting that Private ERNEST WRAGG, aged 21, of 94 Outram Road, Sheffield, had been released by the Communists after being a POW in Korea for almost 2 years.

What happened to Ernest Wragg in later life?

Soon afterwards, on August 14, 1953, The Star reported that HARRY NOBLE, a chainsmith at the Thorncliffe Works of Newton Chambers, was retiring after 55 years service with the firm. He had started work with NC at the age of 13 (in 1898). At the time of his retirement he had two sons working at the firm.

Does anyone remember the Noble family and their links with Newton Chambers?

Looking for more snippets...

In The Star of April 16 1953 it was noted that when Princess Margaret visited Sheffield to open the new Rowlinson School, pupils MAUREEN WILKINSON and DAVID COBB would personally thank the royal visitor. Anybody on SH who was present on this occasion?

Looking for more snippets...

In The Star of April 16 1953 it was noted that when Princess Margaret visited Sheffield to open the new Rowlinson School, pupils MAUREEN WILKINSON and DAVID COBB would personally thank the royal visitor. Anybody on SH who was present on this occasion?

Star, May 30 1951. A report that ELLIS PEARSON, aged 66, had died. He came to Sheffield in 1913 to found the firm of glass merchants bearing his name.

Star May 19 1951. Patrick McGOOHAN weds Joan Drummond. The Star had reported their engagement on Dec 11 1950.

Star, March 20 1951. VIC CLEMENTS, a Sheffield Telegraph photographer, of Brinsworth, marries VIVIAN FROST, at Frecheville Church.

Star, Oct 1950. The Playhouse has welcomed a new young actor called PETER BARKWORTH.

Star, July 1 1950. Married at St.Polycarp's Church, Malin Bridge, EDWARD REGINALD WHITTAKER, a Star sports reporter, and only son of Mr & Mrs E.R. Whittaker, of 56 Findon Crescent, and Miss ELSIE AUTY, elder daughter of Mrs & Mrs C. Auty, of 49 Fizalan Street. Reg Whittaker went on to become a bit of a legend on the Star's sports desk!

Star, Nov 29 1949. Wilfred Pickles, of Have A Go radio fame, was at Boots' High Street branch in Sheffield today to sign copies of his new book, Between You and Me.

Star, Aug 19 1949. JIMMY DAILEY, former Sheff Wed centre-forward now with Birmingham, weds BETTY CUTLER, of Flixbie Road, Sheffield, in Airdrie, Lanarkshire.

Star, July 20 1949. DENNIS KAMSIKA, aged 13, of 140 Burngreave Road, attends audition for Abbey Singers as a singer of ***** spirituals.

Star, March 16 1949. Alf Ramsey, the Southampton full-back, rejects chance to join Sheffield Wednesday. He says he likes Sheffield Wednesday, but he has no desire to live in Sheffield.

(I'll bet that went down well with the fans!).

Star, Nov 4 1948. At the Sheffield Empire, Henry Hall, the Sheffield boxer, went on stage to meet Henry Hall, the bandleader --and was allowed to conduct the orchestra! (Note a few days later Henry the boxer gained the British welterweight title by beating Ernie Roderick over 15 terrific rounds at Harringay.)

Star, Sept 23 1948. ALFIE DEAN, the well-known Sheffield screen variety artist, has died aged 46 in a London hospital. He was born in Sheffield and left at the age of 12 to join a theatre troupe. His father was GEORGE CORFIELD, the boxer, of Carver Street.

This made me chuckle:

Sheffield Star, Oct 23 1958:

From wikipedia:

Group Captain Townsend is best known for his ill-fated romance with Princess Margaret. Despite his distinguished career, as a divorced man, there was no chance of marriage with the princess, and their relationship caused enormous controversy in the early 1950s. He later married a Belgian woman, Marie-Luce Jamagne.

This made me chuckle:

Sheffield Star, Oct 23 1958:

From wikipedia:

Group Captain Townsend is best known for his ill-fated romance with Princess Margaret. Despite his distinguished career, as a divorced man, there was no chance of marriage with the princess, and their relationship caused enormous controversy in the early 1950s. He later married a Belgian woman, Marie-Luce Jamagne.

From The Star, May 10 1956. Sir Harold West has quit as managing director of Newton Chambers & Co Ltd, of Thorncliffe, and will be succeeded by Mr P.J.C. Bovill.

From The Star, Monday March 5 1956. Sheffield Wednesday star Albert Quixall weds Jeannette Dunstan at Wadsley Church.

From The Star, May 10 1956. Sir Harold West has quit as managing director of Newton Chambers & Co Ltd, of Thorncliffe, and will be succeeded by Mr P.J.C. Bovill.

From The Star, Monday March 5 1956. Sheffield Wednesday star Albert Quixall weds Jeannette Dunstan at Wadsley Church.

A few more to add to the collection:

From The Star, December 11th 1953. The death has been announced of Adolph Viner, until recently chairman and joint managing director of Viners, the cutlery manufacturers. He was 70.

From The Star, January 5th 1954. Albert Quixall, the 19 year-old Sheffield Wednesday star, today announced his engagement to Miss Jeanette Dunstan, aged 20, of Chiltern Road, Sheffield. They met at a dance last summer. Albert is presently doing his National Service in the Royal Signals, and is based at Catterick in North Yorkshire.

From The Star, January 12th 1954.Mr Curdew Smith, of Park Cresent, Ecclesfield, celebrated his 101st birthday today.

From The Star, January 16th 1954. There was a surprise for Aunt Edith on her birthday today when the Gloops Queen Anne Goodchild arrived at a function at the Cutlers Hall and presented her with a box of chocolates, while Lyceum panto stars Freddie Sales and Morecambe and Wise looked on.

From The Star January 26th 1954. Frederick Neate, manager of the Empire Theatre, has died in Sheffield Royal Hospital at the age of 51.

From The Star February 2nd 1954. It has been revealed that Sheffield United have made an offer for Sheffield Wednesday’s favourite Redfern Froggatt, but it is thought that the England international will not want to move across the city.

(Footnote: Froggatt remained at Hillsborough, and within a few days United signed instead a forward called Jack Cross from Northampton. This prompted the joke to circulate in Sheffield that United couldn’t have Froggatt so they got Cross!)

From the Sheffield Telegraph, May 1964.

Two years after spending 12 months at the Thorncliffe works of Newton Chambers, Friedrich K. Hohfeld, he has returned with a group of German tennis players to take on the firm’s team in a series of matches. Friedrich, now 27, originally came to Sheffield from Velbert as part of a plan to learn about British business methods and to improve his English, and he spent a good deal of his time in the Redfyre Sales department. When off duty he enjoyed the facilities offered by the Thorncliffe Tennis Club, and, when he went back home, he promised he would return with some of his German tennis friends. “I loved my time here,” he said, “and I made many friends. It has been good to see them again –and it has been a treat to taste English beer again!”

(Postscript. Anyone formerly of Newton Chambers still have any contact with Friedrich?)

From the Sheffield Telegraph, May 1964.

The man who won the first Star Walk in 1922 is writing a history of the competition in his spare time. Watchman Harry Hoyle, of Shepperson Road, Middlewood, Sheffield, is still collecting data and photographs, but the pen work has already begun.

Comparing yesterday’s Whit Tuesday event with the walk of 42 years ago, Mr Hoyle said the roads were rougher and tougher the year he won. “But, then, I didn’t have to put up with all this traffic the modern lads have to face,” he said.

Proudly displaying the gold medal he won in 1922, he said that his father, John T. Hoyle, won the sealed handicap prize in the same race.

(Footnote: 45 years later, one wonders whether the history was ever completed, and, if so, what happened to it.)

From the Sheffield Telegraph, September 1964

A retired moulder who was working backstage at the old Sheffield Empire when Gracie Fields first came to Sheffield will be the 66 year-old singing star’s guest at he City Hall show tonight. And before the performance 77 year-old Charles Upton, of Annesley Road, Greenhill, will meet Gracie in her dressing room.

“I remember well that I was a scene shifter when she and Archie Pitt came to Sheffield with their wonderful show ‘Mister Tower of London’,” he said. “I worked backstage in my spare time after a day at the foundry, and over a span of 40 years or more I saw some great stars –but Gracie was one of the best.”

A few more to add to the collection:

From South Yorkshire Times, circa 1963

A 58 years old Ecclesfield housewife has flown across the Atlantic to see again the sister she last saw 29 years ago. She is Mrs Edith Jepson, of Sycamore Road, Ecclesfield, who is visiting her sister Mrs Nora Wenzel, aged 61, at Union, Jersey, a few miles from Lake Erie, near the Canadian border. Mrs Jepson had never flown before making this trip.

From the South Yorkshire Times, 1963

Re the Hippodrome, Cambridge Street.

An Ecclesfield woman, Mrs Connie Stuchbury (61) recalled last week at her Butchill Avenue home memories of the Sheffield cinema, the Hippodrome, which recently closed and is now doomed for demolition. At 19 Connie became a programme seller in the Hippodrome pit. Her sister, now Mrs Laura Penrose, was also a programme seller. Laura went on the work at the cinema for 40 years. Connie met her first husband, Tom Cooper, at the Hippodrome, where he worked in the pay box. Moroever, Connie's brother, Bill Tivey, was a check taker in the old gallery.

0-0-0

South Yorkshire Times circa 1963

Four well-known Ecclesfielders will be appearing on BBC Television next Thursday in The Good Old Days show from Leeds. On Monday last week they went to the studios for the live recording of the show, which stars the popular singer Dickie Valentine. The four men are Barry Taylor, Barry Fisher, Geoff Witham and Albert Butcher. They all work at the Ecclesfield works of the Brightside Foundry & Engineering Company, where Barry Taylor and Geoff Witham are in the drawing office, while Albert Butcher and Barry Fisher are in the estimating office.

Sheffield Telegraph circa 1957/8: Alderman A. Ballard, chairman of the United Sheffield Hospitals, is sure that the fear of going to the dentist would be completely removed if the patient was received by well-trained pretty girls. He said so yesterday when he presented badges and certificates to five girl student dental surgery assistants at the Charles Clifford Dental Hospital, Wellesley Road, Sheffield. The girls who collected badges were Janet Hargreaves, Evelyn Burns, Patricia Farnsworth, Christine Ann Potts, and Susan Debra Stanley.

-0-0-0

From the Thorncliffe News 1963.

When the final curtain came down on another successful Thorncliffe Musical Society production last Saturday at the Newton Hall, Chapeltown, there were special cheers for two girls who stepped into leading roles in The Mikado at very short notice. Halfway through the one-week run, during Wednesday evening's performance, Pat Neely, playing Yum-Yum, collapsed on stage. Though she carried on for the remaining acts, she was unable to appear on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

This might easily have endangered the whole show. Instead the challenge brought out the best in the entire cast and very fine, confident performances by the two girls involved in the reshuffle.

Miss Ann Whittlestone, who had previously been playing Peep-Bo, was already the understudy for Yum-Yum, but her sudden step-up demanded some hard studying. She stayed up most of Wednesday night and into the early hours of Thursday morning learning her lines; and before Thursday evening's show members of the cast helped out with practices and rehearsals.

Ann's part was filled by Mrs Sheila Tingle, a member of the Barnsley Operatic Society. Fortunately, Sheila was quite familiar with the part of Peep-Bo which she played in May with her own group.

From The Star Friday Feb 19th 1954

POSTMAN WALKED 50,000 MILES, LOVED HIS WORK

Bradway's postman for the past 16 years, Mr Charles Tyrrell, did his 15-mile daily rounds today --his 65th birthday-- for the last time. To mark his retirement --and more than 50,000 miles postman's walking-- he was presented at Dore Postal district sorting office with a tea service from his colleagues. Mr F.G. Young, the Head Postmaster, made the presentation.

"I have always been interested in my work and done it to the best of my ability," said Mr Tyrrell, who lives at Fox Lane, Bradway, and first did the delivery in 1937.

NEW MANAGER FOR THE EMPIRE THEATRE

Mr John Spitzer, aged 27 and assistant manager of the Empire, Sheffield, has been appointed manager in succession to the late Fred Neate.

----000---