Byard's Leap

dunsbyowl1867

Looks too late for my interest, please add it into the listings at the appropriate spot.

It seems strange that a lot of the pubs that are missing from our main list are pubs that I know quite well and used to frequent in my younger days.

The Byards Leap is just off East Bank Road at Hartop, I think it is still open but not sure. Not far from SteveHB's so he will probably know.

Why is it all the pubs round our way have strange or unusual names, -

The Byards Leap

The Wyvern

The Fellbrigg

The Jervis Lum

It seems strange that a lot of the pubs that are missing from our main list are pubs that I know quite well and used to frequent in my younger days.

The Byards Leap is just off East Bank Road at Hartop, I think it is still open but not sure. Not far from SteveHB's so he will probably know.

Why is it all the pubs round our way have strange or unusual names, -

The Byards Leap

The Wyvern

The Fellbrigg

The Jervis Lum

I'd be interested in a list of missing Pubs ...

Byards Leap or as it's known localy 'The Back Stabbers Arms'

has been closed for a few years now Dave.

Byards Leap or as it's known localy 'The Back Stabbers Arms'

has been closed for a few years now Dave.

Byards Leap is a small village near where I live in Lincolnshire and an old Lincolshire folk tale ;-)

Byards Leap is a small village near where I live in Lincolnshire and an old Lincolshire folk tale ;-)

OK, so as for those unusual names

The Byards Leap a small village in Lincolnshire and an old Lincolshire folk tale

The Wyvern no idea what this means, possibly a district / place name but it is Wyvern NOT Wybourn

The Fellbrigg I think it's something to do with local Lords and Barons. they always had pictures of knights and medeival stuff up on the walls

The Jervis Lum a hollow wooded valley carrying a stream, this is well documented in our Jervis Lum, ancient woodland thread.

Isle of Axeholme - Duke Du Alva

A lot of Sheffield folk trace back to Lincolnshire, I'd love to know the Folk Tale, see also existing Threads to Duke De Alva (without whom, no Lincolnshire - see also Isle of Axleholme somewhere on here (Help. I posted it, I don't know where it is - where are our Indexers ? lol ).

What has the Mad Duke got to do with Hallamshire ? How many people did he claim to have killed personally ? (Information available somewhere on this Site)

(One of my interests)

Isle of Axeholme - Duke Du Alva

A lot of Sheffield folk trace back to Lincolnshire, I'd love to know the Folk Tale, see also existing Threads to Duke De Alva (without whom, no Lincolnshire - see also Isle of Axleholme somewhere on here (Help. I posted it, I don't know where it is - where are our Indexers ? lol ).

What has the Mad Duke got to do with Hallamshire ? How many people did he claim to have killed personally ? (Information available somewhere on this Site)

(One of my interests)

I do have it in a book but am too lzt to post

see here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byards_Leap

The Byards Leap aka "the backstabbers arms" is, as SteveHB pointed out previously long gone

But, - if anyone would like to take over running it lol

The legend of "The Byards Leap" as told in this Wikipedia link posted by Dunsbyowl fits in perfectly with their old pub sign

As the pub is closed and the sign is still there I will repost the image in the pub signs thread

The view from the top of "Byard's Leap"

I once posted a similar panorama from Kenninghall mount and SteveHB said you could see his house on it, - not so sure about this one though.