Thorntons

Blacky

I am currently researching my family history and wonder if anyone has any information on Thorntons?

My Great Grandad (Arthur Hill) used to work there and was a member of the works football team which won the Beatty League Championship Shield in 1930.

I know very little else and would love to hear if anyone out there has any memories. Maybe one of your relatives was also in the team???

I have a team photo that was printed in the Green Un (Jan 24 1931) - Other names in the team were as follows:

F. Jessop

W. Booth

R. Wear

C. Parkin

A. Smith

G. Sanderson

W. Hodgson

G. Teagle

A. Thompson (Capt)

E. Jessop

I have been told by my Grandad that Walt Booth was a very good player and may have had trials with United! Would love someone to confirm or deny this!

I am currently researching my family history and wonder if anyone has any information on Thorntons?

My Great Grandad (Arthur Hill) used to work there and was a member of the works football team which won the Beatty League Championship Shield in 1930.

I know very little else and would love to hear if anyone out there has any memories. Maybe one of your relatives was also in the team???

I have a team photo that was printed in the Green Un (Jan 24 1931) - Other names in the team were as follows:

F. Jessop

W. Booth

R. Wear

C. Parkin

A. Smith

G. Sanderson

W. Hodgson

G. Teagle

A. Thompson (Capt)

E. Jessop

I have been told by my Grandad that Walt Booth was a very good player and may have had trials with United! Would love someone to confirm or deny this!

Hi Blacky Welcome to Sheffield History!

A little history here :

http://www.rotherhamweb.co.uk/h/nthornton.htm

There are about 28 photographs (mainy the same) of Thornton's shops on Picture Sheffield

This was one of the first on Norfolk Street?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s01160

Hi Dunsbyowl,

Thanks for taking the time for looking into this for me.

However, the Thorntons I'm referring to were actually a firm of Cutlers.

Im not sure where they were based but a few suggestions I have so far puts them either around Moorfoot or somewhere near the Wicker.

Regards,

Lee.

Hi Dunsbyowl,

Im not sure where they were based but a few suggestions I have so far puts them either around Moorfoot or somewhere near the Wicker.

Regards,

Lee.

he hehe hehe he

my apologies - I do like their toffee though

I am sorry what a idiot - pehaps I can delete them before anyone notices :(

Dont worry - I should have been a bit more specific.

To be honest, thats the first thing i would have thought of too!

Get me - not been this civil to an owl in ages! lol!

he hehe hehe he

my apologies - I do like their toffee though

I am sorry what a idiot - pehaps I can delete them before anyone notices :(

Nothing wrong with that mistake Dunsbyowl, Thorntons the confectioners are a local firm so you are easily forgiven. In fact i'm surprised there isn't a thread somewhere else about this very product.

Hi Dunsbyowl,

Regards,

Lee.

Shall we start again? From Kelly's Directory 1925 - do you think this was the boss?

Thornton, George William. cutlery manufr. Lowther house, Stumperlowe Hall Road TN West 570