Cadman St

Stuart0742

Guest Trefcon

Like the pics Stuart, ok it is a Sunday morning, but they give a real sense of decay and of times past. Are these streets busy in the week?

Dean.

Like the pics Stuart, ok it is a Sunday morning, but they give a real sense of decay and of times past. Are these streets busy in the week?

Dean.

To be honest Dean, 1st time I have been down there, I can't imagine much happens these days though. Need a trip down in the week.

To be honest Dean, 1st time I have been down there, I can't imagine much happens these days though. Need a trip down in the week.

Excellent Photos Stuart, I like the one where the cobbles are making a comeback through the tarmac.! Do you know anything about the canal boat workshop on the canal - I noticed that a while ago and looked very interesting.

Dean.

05/3/09

Free on street car parking seems to be the order of the day, a few local engineering firms still seem to be survivng.

Guest Falls

Excellent Photos Stuart, I like the one where the cobbles are making a comeback through the tarmac.! Do you know anything about the canal boat workshop on the canal - I noticed that a while ago and looked very interesting.

Hello,

I would be very interested in any info you have on canal facilities, particularly boat slips in that area. Specifically any facilities on or near, Canal's Street itself, that may have been used for breaking up old wooden barges. This would be in the years 1870 - 1890.

Regards

Pic 2

Why would the canal have been narrow for so far after the west side of the bridge (Where the steel container is now)? It narrows quickly to the east side of the bridge.

Pic 2

Why would the canal have been narrow for so far after the west side of the bridge (Where the steel container is now)? It narrows quickly to the east side of the bridge.

Vox's photo's in the Cobbled St Topic reminded me of this topic

The reason for the short narrow sections usually found at bridges,

is that it makes it easier to close off and drain a section of canal so maintenance or repair work

to be carried out.

A term known as 'to stank' (dam)

the narrow bit is sometimes referred to as a 'stanking point'