What happened on 26th February 1575 ?

RichardB

Here's one to ponder on :

What happened on 26th February 1575 in Sheffield (and elsewhere) ?

Name the famous person who was "so afraid" at that time.

<_< am I on the right lines with the Oakwell 1575 Sheffield radio station?

'Fraid not, 1575 is a year, probably even before Wogan lol

To the French Ambassador...

‘We have had here, even in my chamber, a great earthquake on the evening of Saturday; insomuch that my women could not sit steady on their boxes and chairs where they were working around me.’

Mary Queen of Scots

Hugh

Nice one Biggles.

26 February 1575 Midlands

Even though the data for this earthquake are fairly good compared to most of the previous events, locating the epicentre is rather difficult. The earthquake was felt at York, Hatfield (near Doncaster), Ruthin, Denbigh, Tewkesbury, Bredon, Hereford, Gloucester and Bristol. At Ruthin, Denbigh and Tewkesbury the intensity was at least 5 MSK, but the most damage was at and near Hatfield in Yorkshire. At this place some old houses and barns were thrown down and part of the gable end of the manor house fell. Near Hatfield, supposedly, churches were "laid flat with the ground" and "great damage was done in all the country over". If the epicentre was near Doncaster, the distribution of the remaining reports is rather eccentric. More likely the epicentre was in the Midlands, in the Derby/Stafford area.

http://www.quakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/hi...cal_listing.htm

About this time a natural phenomenon added to the disquiet and anxiety of the household at Sheffield.

An earthquake, of unusual severity for this country, occurred on the 26th of February, and was felt not only in Sheffield, but in the district around.

In describing the occurence to Lord Burghley, Shrewsbury says :-

"My Lord, where there hath been often bruits of this lady's escape from me; the 26th of February last there came an earthquake which so sunk chiefly her chamber, as I doubted more her falling than her going, she was so afraid; but God be thanked, she is forthcoming; and grant it may be a forwarning unto her. It hath been at the same instant in sundry places; no hurt was done, and the same continued a very small time; God grant us all grace to fear him."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shrewsbury's Letter to Lord Burghley 3rd March 1575

To the French Ambassador...

‘We have had here, even in my chamber, a great earthquake on the evening of Saturday; insomuch that my women could not sit steady on their boxes and chairs where they were working around me.’

Mary Queen of Scots

Hugh Queen of Walkey

We have had here, even in my chamber, a great earthquake on the evening of Saturday, the 16th ult.; insomuch that my women could not sit steady on their boxes and chairs, where they were working around me.

I have heard that it was at the same hour and day in several other places of this country. God, by his mercy, deliver us from all evil; but I ought not to fear that He will let worse befal me than He has already done.

God preserve us all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Queen of Scots to the French Ambassador - "ce second de Mars" (2nd March 1875)

Spelling as the original "befal"