Endcliffe Vale House.

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Sheet 294.11

The wedding of Miss E.M.B. Ward to Lieut. W.B. Gallimore, West Riding R.F.A.

Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T.W. Ward of Endcliffe Vale House.

Guest rachman

Came across this photo above while looking for info on Tommy Ward's house. Ethel Mary Bassett Ward.

Thomas W Ward was my Great Grandfather Herbert's younger brother - the second of 8 children. Ethel above was Herbert's niece. Sorry to jump across threads but the more I research the more I find - why has it taken me so long to get in to this stuff?!!

Are there any pictures of Endcliffe House please?

GALLIMORE - Henry Burrows

Gallimore was born in 1885. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gallimore; husband of Ethel M. B. Gallimore, of Endcliffe Vale House, Sheffield.

Information from roll-of-honour.com

Read More Here

Various mentions of Endcliffe Vale House

Picture Sheffield The Lodge

----------------------

Thomas Leonard Ward, soldier: letters written whilst on active service in Egypt and France to his parents living at Endcliffe Vale House, Sheffield 1915-1921 (X304)

(National Archives)

-------------------------

Documents held at Sheffield Archives

-----------------------

CWGC.org

---------------------

Another book from -

The council for the preservation of rural England

Sheffield and peak district committee

Endcliffe Vale House

Sheffield - 1931

Tilleys Vintage Magazines

Illustrated London News - 1897

Wills and Bequests includes - Mr Edward Balme Wheatley Balme of Cote Wall, Mirfield and High Close, Loughrigg, Grasmere - - - Mr Henry Fell Pease JP DL MP for Cleveland Div of Yorks, of Brinkburn, Darlington - - - Mr John Pearson Cox JP of Nottingham - - - Mr John Brundrit JP of Runcorn Chester - - - Mr Thomas Dickson of 23 Kensington Court Gardens - - - Mrs Jane Eleanor Rodgers of Endcliffe Vale House Sheffield - - - Mr Thomas Wood JP of Bellwood near Ripon - - - Lieut. Col. Villiers La Touche Hatton of 25 Stanhope Gardens South Kensington - - - Mr John Heelis of Brown Cottage Pendleton near Manchester - - - Mr Samuel Taylor QC of 5 Hague Road Withington Manchester - - - Mr Charles Philip Colnaghi of Varuna, Sheringham Norfolk

-----------------------------

From Derwent-Wye auction Catalogue

Came across this photo above while looking for info on Tommy Ward's house. Ethel Mary Bassett Ward.

Thomas W Ward was my Great Grandfather Herbert's younger brother - the second of 8 children. Ethel above was Herbert's niece. Sorry to jump across threads but the more I research the more I find - why has it taken me so long to get in to this stuff?!!

Are there any pictures of Endcliffe House please?

Hi Rachman,

Have you been in contact with anyone at TW Wards - they are still in existance and I know family members are still involved in the management of the organisation. I did e-mail them about some history question and got a reply from a Ward so he's probably related to you!

http://www.twward.co.uk/about.php

Thomas William Ward, Director, Endcliffe Vale House, 60 Endcliffe Vale Road (Kelly's 1925)

Hi Rachman, Have you been in contact with anyone at TW Wards - they are still in existance and I know family members are still involved in the management of the organisation. I did e-mail them about some history question and got a reply from a Ward so he's probably related to you! http://www.twward.co.uk/about.php

On a slightly different tack, Ethel Gallimore was a founder member of the CPRE. On 7th May 1924 a meeting was held at Endcliffe Vale House by a group of leading citizens of Sheffield to form a society to write to the National trust to oppose a new motor-road through Winnats Pass.

Among those present were Ethel Gallimore, G.H.B. Ward representing the ramblers' interest, Gertrude ward, (Ethel's sister), and Alan Ward (her brother).

Sir Henry Hadow, Vice-Chancellor of Sheffield University was elected President, and Ethel, who had both instigated the meeting and provided the meeting place, was elected Honorary Secretary.

At the first proper meeting it was decided to call themselves a committee, not a society. They also resolved to ask the National Trust if they could call themselves The Sheffield and District Vigilance Committee of the National Trust.

Then in 1925 they decided to call themselves The Sheffield Association for the Protection of Local Scenery.

In December 1926 Ethel as Hon Sec attended the inaugural meeting of the Council for the Preservation of Rural England, and at the meeting of the Sheffield association in February 1927 there was unanimous acceptance of an invitation to become affiliated to the CPRE, although the association continued to work under its own name for the next 3 years.

Ethel later married Gerald Haythornthwaite, and together they were the driving force behind CPRE for many years, Gerald until his death in 1995.

Ethel's brother A.B.Ward owned the bookshop in Chapel Walk that some of us may remember.

Endcliffe Vale House

Guest rachman

Thanks to everyone - great info, and I will check with T W Wards. I did not know they were still going.

I'm going to switch back to the Wadsley Bridge / Niagara House thread for my final query - for the time being! I need to digest and assimilate all this info.

Please see other thread for last question!

<table border="1">

<tbody>

<tr valign="top">

<td align="left" nowrap="nowrap">

<font face="arial" size="1"><b>Francis</b></font></td>

<font face="arial" size="1"><b>HOOLE</b></font></td>

<td align="left">

<font face="arial" size="1">Solicitor &amp; notary (Hoole &amp; Yeomans)</font></td>

<td align="left">

<font face="arial" size="1">h. Whitehouse &amp; Figtree Lane</font></td>

<font face="arial" size="1">White's 1849</font></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p> </p>

<table border="1">

<tbody>

<tr valign="top">

<font face="arial" size="1"><b>Francis</b></font></td>

<font face="arial" size="1"><b>HOOLE</b></font></td>

<td align="left">

<font face="arial" size="1">Solicitor &amp; notary (H &amp; Yeomans)</font></td>

<td align="left">

<font face="arial" size="1">h. White House</font></td>

<font face="arial" size="1">White's 1852</font></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p> </p>

<p>Hoole Street, anyone ?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Endcliffe Vale House 1855,</p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size: 10px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana"><strong><em>The Sheffield &amp; Rotherham Independent</em></strong> (Sheffield, England), Saturday, January 20, 1855;</span></span></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size: 10px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana"></span></span></p>

Francis Hoole, Solicitor & notary (Hoole & Yeomans) h. Whitehouse & Figtree Lane White's 1849

Francis Hoole, Solicitor & notary (H & Yeomans) h. White House White's 1852

Hoole Street, anyone ?

[Full of sneezes - sorry]

George Younge Esqrs, Offices, Prior Ct, 52 High Street Sheaf House, Bramall Lane White's 1852

Best guess, nothing else. Banker ?? your input welcomed.

Endcliffe Vale House 1855,

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, January 20, 1855;

Jane E Rodgers, 1891

Various mentions of Endcliffe Vale House

Illustrated London News - 1897

... - - - Mrs Jane Eleanor Rodgers of Endcliffe Vale House Sheffield - - - ...