Sheffield Artillery Volunteers

RichardB

I have obtained the papers from TNA of one of the men who volunteered from the Sheffield Artillery Volunteers to serve in the Boer War in the Imperial Yeomanry but apart from this potted history I have been unable to find out more about the Sheffield Artillery Volunteers.

Does anyone know where there is a copy of Major Hardwick's book that is one of the sources for the article or where I might find any other details about the 250 NCOs and men who served in the Boer war?

I am particularly interested in the names of the six men who settled in South Africa as for many years my mother received chincherinchee from there each Christmas and as far as I know there were no relatives living out there so it is possible they came from one of the men who served in the Boer War.

Many thanks

Galena

Guest Trefcon

Galena,

there is a book at Sheffield Local Studies library, 'Sheffield at the Front'. A fantastic book with about 500 pics of Sheffield men who went to South Africa. (I'll be using this as part of my future Sheffield Boer War A-Z, along with other resources).

Thanks Deansgirl

I looked at this book in the Sheffield Archives when I came up on a 'reseach visit' two years ago but unfortunately there were no relevent pictures.

Have you come across Kevin Asplins website on the Boer War at http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/nominal.html. It was through this site that I found the details for my ancestor, which in turn enabled me to find his records in TNA. Even more suprising was the fact that I was allowed to photocopy all the documents! This is how I found out that he was in the Sheffield Artillery Vounteers but, to date, I have not been able to find out any more. There is also a research leaflet on the subject published by TNA.

Good luck with your project; the research bug cam be very compelling can't it?

Galena

Thanks Deansgirl

I looked at this book in the Sheffield Archives when I came up on a 'reseach visit' two years ago but unfortunately there were no relevent pictures.

Have you come across Kevin Asplins website on the Boer War at http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/nominal.html. It was through this site that I found the details for my ancestor, which in turn enabled me to find his records in TNA. Even more suprising was the fact that I was allowed to photocopy all the documents! This is how I found out that he was in the Sheffield Artillery Vounteers but, to date, I have not been able to find out any more. There is also a research leaflet on the subject published by TNA.

Good luck with your project; the research bug cam be very compelling can't it?

Galena

Galena/Dean

Have you seen this booklet - there is section on the history of the Artillary volunteers in here.

Galena,

there is a book at Sheffield Local Studies library, 'Sheffield at the Front'. A fantastic book with about 500 pics of Sheffield men who went to South Africa. (I'll be using this as part of my future Sheffield Boer War A-Z, along with other resources).

I am sure that you have seen this Dean but anyone else may be interested to note that Eric Youle has an index to this book on this web site

http://history.youle.info/

Not seen that Dunsby, where can i get a copy?

Dean.

You'll be lucky to find a copy to buy Dean, it was published in 1993, but there are some copies still available for loan according to the City libraries catalogue, at Chapeltown, Hillsborough and Stocksbridge

Peter

Thank you everybody for your help. All I have to do now is to persuade our Library Service to do an inter library loan for the book, which I presume was written by the author of 'Garden Street Sheffield - The Everyday Story of a City Street?

Galena

Galena/Dean

Have you seen this booklet - there is section on the history of the Artillary volunteers in here.

I love this bit about the Artillery Volunteers -

"The horses used by the Corps to haul the gun carriages were often hired or borrowed from local farmers etc., and had to be led rather than ridden. The Government allowed a grant of £100 per battery for horses, but this was conditional on the battery turning out fully horsed four times a year. So given the Corps' lack of 'full time' horses it couldn't always claim the full grant available to it.

Some of the horses were more used to pulling milk carts, and on occasions when the Corps was parading through the town, youths would shout "Milk" which caused the horses to stop, much to the annoyance and embarrassment of the artillerymen."

Guest jdaviddenial

I am trying with difficulty to identify an ancester who in all the reports and newspapers I have reda only refer to him as gunner Denial, I would like to know who he is, any clue ?

I am trying with difficulty to identify an ancester who in all the reports and newspapers I have reda only refer to him as gunner Denial, I would like to know who he is, any clue ?

Any of these help.

DENIAL Albert Born 1867 Sheffield, Brightside, Surrey Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) - 2nd Foot WO96 Militia

DENIAL Albert Born 1874 Sheffield, Brightside, Yorkshire Lincolnshire Regiment - 10th Foot WO96 Militia

DENIAL Arnold Born 1880 Sheffield, Pitsmoor, Yorkshire York And Lancaster Regiment WO97 Chelsea

DENIAL Harry Born 1866 Sheffield, Matilda st Yorkshire Northamptonshire Regiment WO97 Chelsea

Many thanks it gives me a good start, is the beer still good in the Bay horse ?.......Regards .David

Not been in The Bay Horse for many a year, Prefer to walk to and from the Pub and the BH is just to far.

I think this may be " Gunner Denial " - in civilian life Steel Manufacturer John Denial, factory in Rockingham Street.

In 1841 living at St Phillips Road a 15 year old Steel Refiners Apprentice:

In 1851 a merchant and manufacturer of steel, at 217 Rockingham Street:

Advert from Whites Directory 1847:

In 1858 the partnership between the Denial brothers was dissolved:

In 1858 John Denial was injured in a rail accident at Brimingham:

In June 1859 John Denial was a member of the Sheffield Volunteer Rifle Corps (he attended a meeting in Rotherham Court House). In 1861 he was at a meeting at the early stages of the formation of a new Volunteer Corps which was to be Artillery rather than Rifles:

The 1861 census shows 34 year old John (unmarried, living with his brother Alexander, at 187 Cemetery Road (both Steel Manufacturers):

In November 1862 the London Gazette records that a Deed was registered at the Court of Bankruptcy, regarding Alexander Joseph Denial and John Denial. In January 1863 Gunner Denial won a Silver Cup for carbine shooting:

In January 1864 John attended a meeting of the Artillery Volunteers and criticised the accounts and suggested more ammunition was required:

On May 2nd 1864 a fire was reported at the Rockingham Street premises of John Denial, Iron Founder. Little damage was caused. On 27th May John was summoned for balance of wages, by John Garfitt of Edgerton Street. The case was dismissed as Garfitt had not been paid as the furnace pots he supplied were poor quality.

In August 1864 Gunner Denial of No.1 battery performed well at the Fulwood firing range:

At the Annual Meeting of the Artillery Volunteers in January 1866 one of the topics which Gunner Denial contributed to was refreshments - should they be provided to encourage attendance at events:

On May 15th 1867 John Denial attended the first meeting of bankruptcy proceedings at Leeds District Court of Bankruptcy. He was discharged from bankruptcy on 3rd July 1867.

At the 1871 census he was living with his sister Martha at Ran Moor. He was now a Timber Agent - presumably the steel business had finally expired in 1867:

And in 1877 he was attacked on his return home from chapel:

In 1881 he was a Commission Agent, lodging with Thomas Roper (confectioner) at Ranmoor Terrace:

The 1881 census is the last trace I've found of him. Any advance?

Guest jdaviddenial

Thanks ted, I have bits and pieces on this, but another report quoted gunner A Denial, which confused then after the accident in 1858 I did slightly leave the idea, but I will now go back and look deeper

regards david