Google Earth

Guest Jeremy

My apologies if this is old news. I haven't used Google Earth for a while, and today I upgraded to the latest version. Since I last used it they have added a feature where you can look at their historical image sets. The default (and the best) satellite images for Sheffield are ones that were taken on 30 December 2002. But now, at least in the city centre, you can also look at 30 December 1999, and 13 May 2005. For example here is the fate of the Sheaf market mapped through these three dates:

Jeremy

Hey this looks good

A sort of Google Earth Then & Now of Sheffield from the air

I'll look forward to seeing more images like this in this thread, - may even post a few myself.

I have Google Earth v.4 point something.

Just tried to install v. 5 (the one with these archive shots) and although it downloaded the installer and then downloaded the file it failed to install it giving an error code and a link to find out what caused the problem.

The link goes to a Google help page and it basically said, reading between the lines a bit

"We haven't got a clue what caused this problem but it is only a beta version so what do you expect"

I will try again some time later to install v.5 but I find repeatedly with Google products, not just Google Earth, that they are brilliant when they are working but getting them to install, update and run in the first place is often a problem.

I have Google Earth v.4 point something.

Just tried to install v. 5 (the one with these archive shots) and although it downloaded the installer and then downloaded the file it failed to install it giving an error code and a link to find out what caused the problem.

The link goes to a Google help page and it basically said, reading between the lines a bit

"We haven't got a clue what caused this problem but it is only a beta version so what do you expect"

I will try again some time later to install v.5 but I find repeatedly with Google products, not just Google Earth, that they are brilliant when they are working but getting them to install, update and run in the first place is often a problem.

Just installed Google Earth v5 ok, try again, did you down load Google updater?

Just installed Google Earth v5 ok, try again, did you down load Google updater?

Downloaded v5 from check for updates in v4.3 which takes you to a Google web page with the download for v5. This downloads the loader and when run then downloads v5 and installs it. You get the error at the end of the install. I already have Google Updater installed seperately.

Downloaded v5 from check for updates in v4.3 which takes you to a Google web page with the download for v5. This downloads the loader and when run then downloads v5 and installs it. You get the error at the end of the install. I already have Google Updater installed seperately.

I did not have Google Earth on this PC, so I went to Google Earth Website and clicked on download v5, and got Google updater, all seemed to work ok, as a bonus got Google Chrome

I did not have Google Earth on this PC, so I went to Google Earth Website and clicked on download v5, and got Google updater, all seemed to work ok, as a bonus got Google Chrome

May try that then. I already have Google Chrome which I got as a seperate download the day it came out (something to do with number of downloads in a day world record) Chrome works OK but even that couldn't manage the "severed by the server" problem.

I didn't uninstall v4.3 first but the installer usually takes care of that by overwriting into the same folder.

May try that then. I already have Google Chrome which I got as a seperate download the day it came out (something to do with number of downloads in a day world record) Chrome works OK but even that couldn't manage the "severed by the server" problem.

I didn't uninstall v4.3 first but the installer usually takes care of that by overwriting into the same folder.

Just been onto the Google help forum for Google Earth and had a look for solutions to this problem.

It appears to be a common problem and although some people have managed to get around it there doesn't seem to be a difinitive answer as to how to get it to work.

I'll keep trying but in the meantime I'll stick to V 4.3

Just been onto the Google help forum for Google Earth and had a look for solutions to this problem.

It appears to be a common problem and although some people have managed to get around it there doesn't seem to be a difinitive answer as to how to get it to work.

I'll keep trying but in the meantime I'll stick to V 4.3

Mrs. H has just tried to load Google Earth 5 onto her Vista laptop. It seemed to load up OK but when it started to run it just locked the whole computer up. Only way out was to force it to shut down by holding the on button in for 5 seconds.

So second computer in use, second problem with Google Earth 5.

second computer in use, second problem with Google Earth 5.

By way of contrast, I've been playing with GE5 (Mac version) for a few days now with no problems at all. Google's betas tend to go on for ever, but if a lot of people are having problems I guess that fixes will be on the way soon.

Jeremy

By way of contrast, I've been playing with GE5 (Mac version) for a few days now with no problems at all. Google's betas tend to go on for ever, but if a lot of people are having problems I guess that fixes will be on the way soon.

Jeremy

Never really used the Mac OS, but then again if it will run in Linux.....

Never really used the Mac OS, but then again if it will run in Linux.....

Seems ok on my XP system, I have not tried it on Windows 7 yet, although Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 seems to work ok.

They're adding new features all the time. In the US you can zoom down to street level in most major cities and you can move along the road and get a panoramic view of the neighbourhood. I haven't noticed it in England yet, but I'm sure that'll be coming soon.

Guest Jeremy

They just updated the satellite imagery for Sheffield. The most recent photos are now from 21 September 2008.

The Northern Relief Road development 1999, 2002, 2005 & 2008:

Jeremy

They just updated the satellite imagery for Sheffield. The most recent photos are now from 21 September 2008.

The Northern Relief Road development 1999, 2002, 2005 & 2008:

Jeremy

Has anybody tried the new Google "Street View" yet, I believe it is now available for Sheffield, not tried it myself yet

Has anybody tried the new Google "Street View" yet, I believe it is now available for Sheffield, not tried it myself yet

Tried it? Me and the Missus are on it! 3 times! :o

The pics are so unflattering I refuse to divulge our whereabouts!

The street view has come just in time for me. My grandad's old house is still there so I was able to do a screen capture. Nice to get a photo before it is pulled down (as the rest of the houses there have been). Living in the US I can't drop by to get a photo myself, so this is the next best thing.

The street view has come just in time for me. My grandad's old house is still there so I was able to do a screen capture. Nice to get a photo before it is pulled down (as the rest of the houses there have been). Living in the US I can't drop by to get a photo myself, so this is the next best thing.

Beery,

If the house is in Sheffield, we have members in most areas ,

so if you put a link on with the location I'm sure someone will oblige with a decent photo.

That's provided the house is still standing of course.

Just had a quick browse round my local area with "Street View"

I can see the members on here spending many hours viewing it,

looks like links work as well

Travellers Rest PH, City Rd. .. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl

Quite adictive at first, my street is not on yet, although my son says the Google car came past last summer, found my car where I park at work. Trying to find the wife, see were she was lol

Quite adictive at first, my street is not on yet, although my son says the Google car came past last summer, found my car where I park at work. Trying to find the wife, see were she was lol

Stuart0742 is using Google street to spy on me! He has already PMed me a link to the street shot of our house.

Although I can't load the latest version of Google Earth (see previous posts) the older version works OK with these street views, as does, again thanks to information from Stuart0742 the simplified version of Google maps (I can even get Google Maps to work on Windows 98, - not tried the street view from it yet though)

Also noticed that although I can't download the latest Google Earth the appearance of the sea has changed recently so it may even work on those sea bed shots.