Pashley Cottages - Woodhouse

popt

I've just found out that one of my forebears were living at 1 Pashley Cottages, Sheffield Road, Woodhouse.

I know the family were there from 1916 until 1921 and most probably longer than these dates.

The family name is Timmins.

I've searched on the net to no avail and the voting lists are not in Sheffield.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these cottages and their occupants and are the cottages still standing?

Thanks PopT

On 28/01/2009 at 12:29, popt said:

I've just found out that one of my forebears were living at 1 Pashley Cottages, Sheffield Road, Woodhouse.

I know the family were there from 1916 until 1921 and most probably longer than these dates.

The family name is Timmins.

I've searched on the net to no avail and the voting lists are not in Sheffield.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these cottages and their occupants and are the cottages still standing?

Thanks PopT

I knew this area quite well in the 50's and 60's and worked for a time as a milk roundsman for the B&C Co-op Dairy at the top of Chapel Street.  If my memory is not failing me the cottages were on the left through that archway. Though I think they were derelict by the late 60's the place had a great atmosphere, and would have been nice done up, but it looks like they just got flattened  like a lot of Woodhouse, which in the 50's was a lovely village.

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s38034&prevUrl=

pashleys_cottages.jpg

• Like 1

When did you last see a "fish & chip saloon"?

I remember hge Grammar School, as my Dad was Head of English there for a number of years and I sometimes went there with him in the school holidays. I think it closed and moved to new premises in Swallownest shortly after he left in 1962. It was a distinguished-looking building; is it still standing?

I delivered morning newspapers to Pashley Cottages in the early 60's. As stated previously there were 2 cottages thru the archway on the left, occupied by 2 old ladies. Opposite the Chippy (behind the photographer) was the Endowed School house where the local Boy Scout troupe met on Friday nights. Most of us would call in for 3 penneth of chips after.

There was a similar group of cottages a bit further up Sheffield Road called Twitchill Cottages.

Pashley and Twitchill Cottages I believe we're demolished long ago.