Abell, John, Dwarf houses

Beighton, George, Edge End

Briigs, William, Hirst

Brook, Matthews, Faulderins

Fearn, Thomas, Cliff-hill

Hawksworth, Jasper, Cowgap

Lingard, Robert, Drysonholmes

anyone any clue ?

'Hirst' may be a variant of 'Hurst'. There are farms called Lower and Upper Hurst below Birley Edge, south of Grenoside.

Hugh

No Dwarf houses then ?

Not yet lol

Cow Gap Farm is south of Dungworth grid ref 427700 389200 at Old-Maps. There are mentions of it in the St Nicholas Bradfield burial registers and on a gravestone in the churchyard.

Jasper Hawksworth, however, is listed as of 'Cow Gate' in the burial register (transcription).

Hugh

Faulderins could be Foldrings near Onesacre, Edge End was on Archer lane.

Drysonholmes and Dwarf Houses I have encountered before, but can't remember where.

But whilst I'm transcribing your directories my database of Sheffield place-names and locations is being neglected <_<

On a family marriage certificate dating 1844 I have the bride coming from Lambert Street and the bridegroom coming

from Newfields. I suggest it's in the same area, I know of Dunfields, Gatefields and Smithfields but where was Newfields?

On a family marriage certificate dating 1844 I have the bride coming from Lambert Street and the bridegroom coming

from Newfields. I suggest it's in the same area, I know of Dunfields, Gatefields and Smithfields but where was Newfields?

Gatefield, BelgianWhelkSmugglerfield, Centrefield, Farfield, HairyWildebeestfield

OK, one of them is made up, maybe more.

Gatefield, BelgianWhelkSmugglerfield, Centrefield, Farfield, HairyWildebeestfield

OK, one of them is made up, maybe more.

Have you been on the hard stuff? :blink:

Farfield is the area where the Farfield Pub is at Neepsend.

Centrefield and Gatefield were in the Upperthorpe area. I believe they were both on land which was once owned by the Woollen family. Their estates were divided and sold in the early 19th century. A map prepared by Martin Olive from various sources shows the area in 1832. Gatefield Farm was directly behind the Kelvin Grove Pub. Further up Woollen Lane was a house called Gatefield owned by John Heppenstall. Centre Field is shown as an area between Penistone Road and Infirmary Road, opposite the Infirmary (Infirmary Road is shown as 'Walkley Road' on Martin's map.

BelgianWhelkSmugglerfield was settled by political refugees in 1815-16. They were allowed passage by the personal order of Wellington because of their assistance in supplying the British army with food during the campaign which led to Waterloo. Bavarian Sausage Stuffers also applied for permission to settle in Sheffield but Wellington gave them the boot.

HairyWildebeestfield is clearly made up I'm afraid.

Hugh

Centrefield and Gatefield were in the Upperthorpe area. I believe they were both on land which was once owned by the Woollen family. Their estates were divided and sold in the early 19th century. A map prepared by Martin Olive from various sources shows the area in 1832. Gatefield Farm was directly behind the Kelvin Grove Pub. Further up Woollen Lane was a house called Gatefield owned by John Heppenstall. Centre Field is shown as an area between Penistone Road and Infirmary Road, opposite the Infirmary (Infirmary Road is shown as 'Walkley Road' on Martin's map.

BelgianWhelkSmugglerfield was settled by political refugees in 1815-16. They were allowed passage by the personal order of Wellington because of their assistance in supplying the British army with food during the campaign which led to Waterloo. Bavarian Sausage Stuffers also applied for permission to settle in Sheffield but Wellington gave them the boot.

Hugh

Bugger, I've been rumbled !

Hugh

BelgianWhelkSmugglerfield, Bavarian Sausage Stuffers And here's me thinking RichardB had been on the booze.

he he lol

Pigot's Directory show the following places under Penknife Cutlers

Abell, John, Dwarf houses

Beighton, George, Edge End

Briigs, William, Hirst

Brook, Matthews, Faulderins

Fearn, Thomas, Cliff-hill

Hawksworth, Jasper, Cowgap

Lingard, Robert, Drysonholmes

anyone any clue ?

Lingard worked at Dysonholmes Wharncliffe side. I have seen Bowie Knives so marked. I suspect he was connected to cutlers at Oughtibridge.

Hirst- Hurst is the same and sometimes used to describe the general area - Upper and Lower Hirst, Lapwater and sometimes Shotnell.

Interesting about Foldrings. I took a picture yesterday. The workshop may still be standing.

Is the Pigot directory on line?

Mike

Could NEWFIELDS be the area of the Newfield Shops on Gleadless Rd, there was a Newfield Farm part of the Orchard still in situ at the junction of Blackstock Rd & Gleadless Rd, see photo.