Royal Hotel - Owlerton

Guest Gramps

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s21999

This place seems to have escaped the attention of our pub devotees, - at least I can't see it in the listing.

I'm more interested in what it replaced. It occupies most of the site that was the old Owlerton Manor House which I understand was demolished in 1931. There was a pub on the corner there before the Royal Hotel, - on the 1903 OS survey it is just marked as an un-named 'Inn'. Does anyone know the name of it ?

This place seems to have escaped the attention of our pub devotees, - at least I can't see it in the listing.

I'm more interested in what it replaced. It occupies most of the site that was the old Owlerton Manor House which I understand was demolished in 1931. There was a pub on the corner there before the Royal Hotel, - on the 1903 OS survey it is just marked as an un-named 'Inn'. Does anyone know the name of it ?

Is this the one ?

Royal 2 Bradfield Road 1891 1990

Any further information gratefully received.

Thanks Richard, - that seems to be it.

In the 1925 directory Joseph Wostenholme is listed as a 'beer retailer' at 2 Bradfield road, but there is no Royal anything at that address in the Hotels, Inns and Taverns listing. I'll dig a little deeper.

The pub in the picture has a distinctly 1930s air about it.

Thanks Richard, - that seems to be it.

In the 1925 directory Joseph Wostenholme is listed as a 'beer retailer' at 2 Bradfield road, but there is no Royal anything at that address in the Hotels, Inns and Taverns listing. I'll dig a little deeper.

The pub in the picture has a distinctly 1930s air about it.

Indeed it does/did. Earlier buildings would be interesting. Keep at it, I've found three entirely new ones and a first keeper for the Bird in Hand - all in one day !

Was the Hall also the manor house - can just be seen on here :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s00960

I have seen a decent picture in a book somewhere will look it out.

It was indeed - the decent picture is in 'Owlerton Camera'. :)

Nope never seen it - he he must be another decent picture!

Nope never seen it - he he must be another decent picture!

It is in "More images of Sheffield" by the Star Some people standing outside Owlerton Hall - looks like it has been turned into a number of seperate dwellings - that the same?

Pulled down May 1931, shortly after the photo was taken

That's the same photo that appears in Wrigleys An Owlerton Camera. I imagine the dark stonework on the right hand side belongs to the pub on the corner.

It is in "More images of Sheffield" by the Star Some people standing outside Owlerton Hall - looks like it has been turned into a number of seperate dwellings - that the same?

Hadn't looked in there, but I see it now. According to the 1905 OS map it is shown as several separate dwellings with the pub on the south corner. The house faced in to Owlerton Green rather than out to Penistone road which of course wouldn't have been there when it was built.