Anyone locate this ?

dunsbyowl1867

"The Trustees, as landlords, to William Whitmarsh, of Sheffield, common brewer, tenant. A beerhouse called 'The California Tap' near Lady's Bridge, late the property of Andrew Ingleson, decd. From year to year. Rent of £8 15s. per quarter. Memorandum that Mary Ann Whitaker, widow, took the tenancy on 12 July 1856."

"The Trustees, as landlords, to William Whitmarsh, of Sheffield, common brewer, tenant. A beerhouse called 'The California Tap' near Lady's Bridge, late the property of Andrew Ingleson, decd. From year to year. Rent of £8 15s. per quarter. Memorandum that Mary Ann Whitaker, widow, took the tenancy on 12 July 1856."

You appear to have landed a live one there !

I can't find "California Tap", nor Whitmarsh, nor Ingleson.

I read the above to say

Andew Ingleson (former owner, not stated he was the keeper)

William Whitmarsh taken over as owner - Mary Ann Whitaker the keeper from 12th July 1856.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bit from www.Sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk

John WHITMARSH Wine and spirit merchant and vict. White Lion 37 New Queen Street White's 1852

Maurice WHITMARSH Wine and spirit merchant 2 Market Street & 102 Westbar White's 1852

William WHITMARSH Brewer 15 Watson Walk; h. 29 Orchard Street White's 1852

William WHITMARSH Brewer 73 South Street White's 1852

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Where did you find that Dunsby, I'm jealous he he )

=========================================================

Found it, tremendous find !!!

1851 census

piece 2339 folio page 9

32 Bridge St

William WHITAKER HM 39 licensed 'vitular'

Mary Ann WHITAKER WM 39

+5 children

1 lodger

2 servants

Lamb has this address as the Horse and Garter, opened 1833.

But is it the same pub as in 1856?!

In 1861 Mary Ann WHITAKER was a 'retired publican' living at 131 New Meadow Street

(piece 3482 folio 29 page 3)

Hugh

My summary (open to comments)

Horse and Garter (unless otherwise stated)

1833-1849 Issac Lowe

1851 William Whitaker (wife Mary Ann) from Census

1852 William Whitaker (Directory)

1854 Mrs Mary Ann Whitaker (Directory; presume William has died)

1856 Mrs Mary Ann Whitaker, widow, Beerhouse 'California Tap' (12th July tenancy presumably after change of ownership, she was there before this date according to 1854 Directory.

presumably after the '49'ers and the Goldrush; no mention after this date (unless you know differently)

Four of the five WHITAKER children in 1861 have the middle name Lowe and one of them is called Isaac Lowe WHITAKER.

I found this marriage in the IGI:

WILLIAM WHITAKER

MARY ANNE LOWE

Marriage: 16 AUG 1835 Handsworth, Yorkshire

[batch: M109321]

So it may be a dynasty of tenants if not of owners of this pub.

Hugh

Four of the five WHITAKER children in 1861 have the middle name Lowe and one of them is called Isaac Lowe WHITAKER.

I found this marriage in the IGI:

WILLIAM WHITAKER

MARY ANNE LOWE

Marriage: 16 AUG 1835 Handsworth, Yorkshire

[batch: M109321]

So it may be a dynasty of tenants if not of owners of this pub.

Hugh

Hugh, do you mind if I have your babies ?

That is some find ! You're my Hero etc ...

and collectively (Dunsbyowl will have overtaken my posts by March) we're not bad at this Sheffield History Pub stuff, huh ?

Another married daughter and another pub:

Burials in the General Cemetery (Sharrow) - Non-consecrated portion

Grave B97

HUNSLEY Mary Jane 2 17/06/1844 19/06/1844 Infant 32, Bridge Street, Sheffield John & Emma Eliza Hunsley Painter

HUNSLEY Olivia Lowe 1 m. 24/05/1849 Infant Castle Street Debility John & Emma Hunsley Painter

HUNSLEY Charles 21 m. 23/06/1849 Infant Castle Street Decline John & Emma Hunsley Painter

LOWE Isaac 76 03/11/1850 Innkeeper Bridge Street

HUNSLEY William Charles 14 m. 20/08/1851 Infant Castle Street Hooping cough John & Emma Olivia Hunsley Inn Keeper

HUNSLEY Isaac Lowe 9 d. 24/05/1852 Infant Castle Street John & Emma Olivia Hunsley Innkeeper

HUNSLEY Catherine 12 h. 01/08/1853 Infant Castle Street John & Emma Olivia Hunsley Licensed Victualler

[name/age/date of death/date of burial/description/address/cause of death/parents/father's occupation]

(a single date is a date of death)

and a marriage:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1839

HUNSLEY John Rotherham 22 335

LOWE Emma Olivia Rotherham 22 335

John Hunsley's pub

Hugh