New primary not called school

RichardB

'Laughable' political correctness as new primary not called school

SHEFFIELD'S newest primary has opened to controversy - after banning the word "school" from its title.

Watercliffe Meadow, which has replaced Shirecliffe, Busk Meadow and Water-mead infants and juniors, has decided not to call itself a school because of "negative connotations" of the word, its headteacher said.

Instead Watercliffe Meadow - where the pupils are allowed to wear slippers instead of shoes - is to be called a "place of learning".

Headteacher Linda Kingdon told The Star: "We decided from an early stage we didn't want to use the word 'school'.

"This is Watercliffe Meadow - a place for learning. One reason was many of the parents of the children here had very negative connotations of school.

"Instead we want this to a be a place for family learning, where anyone can come.

More nonsense :

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Laughab...-new.4838091.jp

The World's gone mad, cept thee and me

and I'm not too sure about thee !

'Laughable' political correctness as new primary not called school

SHEFFIELD'S newest primary has opened to controversy - after banning the word "school" from its title.

Watercliffe Meadow, which has replaced Shirecliffe, Busk Meadow and Water-mead infants and juniors, has decided not to call itself a school because of "negative connotations" of the word, its headteacher said.

Instead Watercliffe Meadow - where the pupils are allowed to wear slippers instead of shoes - is to be called a "place of learning".

Headteacher Linda Kingdon told The Star: "We decided from an early stage we didn't want to use the word 'school'.

"This is Watercliffe Meadow - a place for learning. One reason was many of the parents of the children here had very negative connotations of school.

"Instead we want this to a be a place for family learning, where anyone can come.

More nonsense :

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Laughab...-new.4838091.jp

The World's gone mad, cept thee and me

and I'm not too sure about thee !

Not that surprising really,

Every young person aged 5 to 16 will tell you that "school", SORRY "s*****" is the worst swear word you can possibly use!

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Not that surprising really,

Every young person aged 5 to 16 will tell you that "school", SORRY "s*****" is the worst swear word you can possibly use!

I always thought that school was a place where the idea was to teach you to be precise in your use of the English language, not to keep finding an alternative word when the right one is the only one but just happens to be unpopular with a particular individual or group of individuals. Perhaps this particular headmistress deserves to have her job title changed to Lady with No Common Sense. Get real woman!

I always thought that school was a place where the idea was to teach you to be precise in your use of the English language, not to keep finding an alternative word when the right one is the only one but just happens to be unpopular with a particular individual or group of individuals. Perhaps this particular headmistress deserves to have her job title changed to Lady with No Common Sense. Get real woman!

I am also puzzled as to why the school (yes it IS a school!) was called Watermead and not Shirecliffe. Is it because someone thought that Shirecliffe didn't sound posh enough?

I did notice some years ago that one of my old schools, at Burngreave, had been re-named something (I forget what) that I cannot even begin to associate with my old school or the area.

It's like, in football, certain people thought it awful that any clubs should have to play in a third or fourth division, so they changed them to one and two! How pathetic! Whatever is the world coming to!

If anyone can explain the reason a school in Shirecliffe has to be called Watermead, I would be grateful.

If anyone can explain the reason a school in Shirecliffe has to be called Watermead, I would be grateful.

3/10, Now concentrate BOY! - It replaced Water-mead, Shirecliffe, and Busk Meadow infants and juniors.

Detention for you my lad :angry:

3/10, Now concentrate BOY! - It replaced Water-mead, Shirecliffe, and Busk Meadow infants and juniors.

Detention for you my lad :angry:

Okay, Watercliffe! Sorry. These fancy new names bewilder me! But why not Shiremead, or, better still, good old plain Shirecliffe?

Okay, Watercliffe! Sorry. These fancy new names bewilder me! But why not Shiremead, or, better still, good old plain Shirecliffe?
Same reason it wasn't called Busk Meadow or Watermead.

There was a parent interviewed the other day who summed it up nicely. Asked what she thought she said " Well them in there can call it what they like, the parents and kids all call it school, what's wrong with that, that's what it is?"

There was a parent interviewed the other day who summed it up nicely. Asked what she thought she said " Well them in there can call it what they like, the parents and kids all call it school, what's wrong with that, that's what it is?"
Excellent, the Council are continuing to call it a school as well.