Llewelyn Dibble

dunsbyowl1867

This is a photo of my Grandma's uncle Llewelyn Dibble they lived in Burns Terrace in 1911 or so. When I obtained his medal card I found aswell as his WW1 medals he had a clasp attached for serving in Mesopotamia after the war. On checking the Y&L were sent there to fight the Bolsheviks who were also after the Persian Oil! Again now't new under t'sun.

Description

Medal card of Dibble, Llewelyn

Corps Regiment No Rank

Yorkshire Light Infantry 7/11829 Private

York and Lancaster Regiment 53239 Private

Royal Engineers 236377 Private

York and Lancaster Regiment 4737015 Private

Date 1914-1920

Guest Trefcon

Hi Dunsbyowl,

Another name and photo to add to my files.

Just wondering if Llewelyn had a brother? I have this chap in my files from Sheffield.

Dean.

Hi Dunsbyowl,

Just wondering if Llewelyn had a brother? I have this chap in my files from Sheffield.

Dean.

Dean thanks so much that is indeed my grandmother's other uncle. James Richard Dibble. Here is photo of him in uniform with his brother, my great grandfather William Dibble.

I will dig out the copies of their medal cards. Do you have a date for the wounded notice and was it in a local paper?

here's his grave in Shiregreen graveyard.

Again many thanks!

Guest Trefcon

Hi Dunsbyowl,

The photo did appear in a Sheffield paper of the day, but i cant remember which one now! If i remember right it was sometime 1916, but dont quote me on that. BUT, it also appears in one of three scrap book's at Sheffield Local Studies. I have to look at these books again so i'll look out for it and pass on the details.

Dean.

Hi Dunsbyowl,

The photo did appear in a Sheffield paper of the day, but i cant remember which one now! If i remember right it was sometime 1916, but dont quote me on that. BUT, it also appears in one of three scrap book's at Sheffield Local Studies. I have to look at these books again so i'll look out for it and pass on the details.

Dean.

Thanks again Dean.

One other thing my Grandad told me his father was wounded in WW1 - his name was Albert Bennett. Have you come across any record of a wounded soldier by that name from Sheffield ? (He aslo told me he came back to England to recover but rather than be sent straight back to the front he 'joined up' again in a different regiment under another name) Doe you think that was possible?

Guest Trefcon

Hi,

No 'Albert Bennett's' at all in my files, and none on the A-Z or the other A-Z i'm working on.

Very possible he used an alias, there are hundreds on the CWGC. Did he say which 'alias' he used?

Dean.

There are 3 pages of an 'Albert Bennett' of Sheffield, pension papers surviving on Ancestry, wife was Mary Ann Belk/Beck? From Attercliffe.

Hi,

No 'Albert Bennett's' at all in my files, and none on the A-Z or the other A-Z i'm working on.

Very possible he used an alias, there are hundreds on the CWGC. Did he say which 'alias' he used?

Dean.

There are 3 pages of an 'Albert Bennett' of Sheffield, pension papers surviving on Ancestry, wife was Mary Ann Belk/Beck? From Attercliffe.

Dean,

That is indeed the one - Mary Ann Belk was my great grandmother do you have copies of those? :rolleyes:

Hi Dunsbyowl,

Dean.

Dean

L. Dibble's medal card if your interested.