Firs Hill

dunsbyowl1867

Obviously gave its name to the area, anyone know any history or have photographs?

1834 Home to William Vickers - Director of Yorkshire Bank

Obviously gave its name to the area, anyone know any history or have photographs?

I've seen it suggested 'in the other place' that it would be the other way round, the name of the hill came first, and might originate from a mis-spelling. The suggestion given the natural vegetation of the area was that it was originally Furze Hill, i.e. the hilll covered in gorse. The knock-on from the mis-spelling is found at Firvale, the valley below Furze Hill.

It might be wrong, but it sounds good to me!

I've seen it suggested 'in the other place' that it would be the other way round, the name of the hill came first, and might originate from a mis-spelling. The suggestion given the natural vegetation of the area was that it was originally Furze Hill, i.e. the hilll covered in gorse. The knock-on from the mis-spelling is found at Firvale, the valley below Furze Hill.

It might be wrong, but it sounds good to me!

Sounds credible!

Peter Harvey in his Street Names book suggests all the various Firshill names come from the House 'When it was advertised in 1844 it was described as a mansion with 18 acres of grassland around it. It was the home of Edward Vickers (1804-1897) of naylor Vickers & Co. He lived in it till 1857 when he moved to Tapton Hall. which he rebuilt'